PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft and Everquest news

Lenardo
January 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM
In order to alleviate the issue of needing to /q to really clear aggro in some situations, we've added a new mechanic to feign death. If you stay feigned for about two minutes, all NPCs will forget about you. There is no message to indicate it yet, but one should be going in with the next Test patch.

- Kavhok, SOE

Also

Beta Signups for World of Warcraft will open at the end of the month

Kat posted that on Bnet last nite along with their statement about the alpha leak --somebody gonna get in alot of trouble.

Lenardo

Kat
January 7th, 2004, 09:29 AM
I'm certain I'm not the only "Kat" posting on message boards, and I'm far from anyone of any importance outside my own little realm of influence, but I just wanted to be clear it is not me, just another Kat.

I know nothink! - Srgt. Schultz

Foehammer
January 7th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Well, hopefully the beta will start sometime soon then. I try to stay away from rumors, even those said by company employees. The truth is that no matter what someone says, it's still just words until it actually happens.

Blizzard - "The game is almost finished...no REALLY! It's going to be ready in 2 weeks....(two weeks later).... Oh we ment 2 weeks from today, errr...better make that 2 years from today. Okay, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY ready now, and nevermind that it's graphicly two years outdated." :D

I believe Blizzard makes good games, but I don't think they're the "gods" of gaming. It's one thing to take your time with a project, and make sure it's good before releaseing it, but it's another thing to take too long to the point that it's outdated in a lot of areas. *cough* Warcraft Adventures *cough* Excuse me! I must be coming down with a cold! ;)

I hope that Blizzard will realize that with WoW they can add more content later. Just as long as it's not buggy at launch and has enough to keep people interested, then I think it will be a sweet game.

Pedula_Bristle
January 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Feign has been rather bugged as of late anyways. Least from what I have noticed and a few other guild monks we have to stay down till said thing is at its bind point before we can stand up again.. regardless of how far away it is. Also could just be a side effect of what he said.

Sure kat.. we know its you..

Serresrelic
January 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=937119&P=1&ReplyCount=154#post937119

Lenardo
January 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Several of the Devs for WoW used to play on Various servers for Eq...and were usually in "uber" guilds - Legacy of Steel on the nameless had atleast 3 or 4 blizzard employees(of which atleast 2 are on the WoW team) and Tigole(ex-LoS guildleader) got his job at blizzard working on WoW on quests i believe.....

they know....

it's going to be interesting when it hits open beta what people are going to say about it.

Naelaen
January 7th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I think it's great that monks can now get up after FD pulling. Too bad most LDoN mobs last about 30 seconds anyway :)

brainproxy
January 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Feign has been rather bugged as of late anyways. Least from what I have noticed and a few other guild monks we have to stay down till said thing is at its bind point before we can stand up again..

FD has always behaved this way. If a mob that has a static spawn is in range, it will reset aggro when it arrives at spawn.

Roaming mobs never reset and must be out of aggro range.

Pedula_Bristle
January 7th, 2004, 02:44 PM
no i meant stuff that wasnt within aggro range. It has been behaving alot wierder lately.. twice as hard to split pulls now.. or maybe i have begun to suck worse..

yeah thats viable.

Naelaen
January 7th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I was about to point you in the direction of Casters realm's explaination about Feign Death. I then saw you were 58 and decided it'd be condescending :)

Perhaps though, mobs are beginning to get used to your feign death now that you have been given extra skills. This granny mob is clearly not deceived by your cunning plan to escape:

http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20010130 :)

Jaqrabbit
January 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM
With regards to the WoW beta signups, everyone remember that just because they're letting people sign up doesn't mean anyone will necessarily be beta testing any time too terribly soon. It was something like a year and a half after I signed up for the Shadowbane beta before I got in, and I'd completely forgotten that Anarchy Online existed when I got invited to its beta.

Woody
January 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Jaq... that's because there are levels of Beta. In both of the instances you mentioned above, I would imagine you were finally allowed in for stress testing.

Not like Beta testing helped either one of those games anyway. Both of their releases were crap.

Naelaen
January 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't that be more to do with corporate release pressure then using beta testing to it's full advantage?

But yeah, in MMOGs you can't test your nice efficient algorithms or server hardware until you flood the servers with players :)

Laston
January 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
didinīt work for AO, the lagg was like all from 10-60sec lagg, the mobs actually HEALED themselves up before you where done with em

Jaqrabbit
January 8th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I was in (I think) the open beta for Shadowbane, and got in Beta 4 for AO, so it was the stress testing period for each.

But even for closed beta, or beta 1, or whatever you want to call it, they've got to accumulate a list of applications (granted, won't take long, assuming the wave of applicants doesn't crush the server), sort through them and weed out the ones they don't want, and select the ones they DO want before beta can start. Then they have to send out all the acceptance letters, and get everyone the software and get all the accounts activated, all of which will take time.

And that assumes that at the end of this month they're ready to start beta, from a coding standpoint. Given the timing (news about beta signups coming in the same announcement as discussion of an alpha leak), it seems possible to me that they may be throwing players a bone to encourage them not to hunt down and mess with the leaked alpha files. If that's true then it may be the end of February or even later before anyone actually gets accepted into any stage of beta, despite the ability to sign up at the end of January.

Or I might be completely wrong, it's happened a time or two before. :) I just wouldn't want anyone getting but so excited about beta starting, and then being disappointed because it didn't.

FoghornDeadhorn
January 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I don't think WoW will be dated by summer.

I'm biased here, I guess...but if Blizzard aren't the gods of gaming I don't know who is more qualified...Nintendo? Sega? Dunno. I wouldn't annoint them the gods of gaming either, but seriously I don't know who has a better track record. So no one gets to be a god! :D

WoW will be out when it's ready. Amen. I wish that was the case with more games.

Pedula_Bristle
January 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I was about to point you in the direction of Casters realm's explaination about Feign Death. I then saw you were 58 and decided it'd be condescending :)

yeah i don't really know how to explain it but its just become a complete pain in the ass to split pulls now. And thanks for calling me a newb. /cry

btw bored so wound up reading that because hey i might have been wrong. nope nothing i didn't know. But I swear FD has been bugged since last patch. maybe this is a fix.. god i hope so.

tanandae
January 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
WoW will be out when it's ready. Amen. I wish that was the case with more games.

Just had to add an "amen!"

SWG has proven to me that patience is a virtue ;)

Rade
January 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
with such high expectations i feel as WoW will be a decent game and called crap, or be an awesome game and live up to it's title. Alot of people might also be mad with the lack of content at first, look how far EQ has came though it took 4 or 5 years...

FoghornDeadhorn
January 8th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah, we'll see on the content...really no way of telling other than to go back to the "faith in the developer" line of thinking...but I'll tell you one thing, there was a thread that had a minimap up, and then showed that location on an area map, and then zoomed out to the reqional map...and then showed the world map.

WoW is a BIG game. And there's no teleporting...no mounts until level 40...so...if nothing else there will be a lot of walking to do! :P

Lenardo
January 8th, 2004, 01:47 PM
not quite true

for a few silver you can...FLY thru the zones

Bats, Zepplins, Hippogriffs, Griffons, supposed to be a Train from the human main city to the Dwarf Main city.. yes TRAIN (well more like a subway)

pretty sure there are boats too...

FoghornDeadhorn
January 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Well, yeah, that's true. But you don't get any silver for some time...assuming no one gives you any...................damn twinkies...

Naryn
January 8th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Actually, I remember reading on the official boards that in WoW all high level classes would be able to get from a dungeon to town, and back, in like 10 minutes.

Don't quote me on that.

However I am nearly 100% positive that high level mages will be able to teleport for sure! :)

Jaqrabbit
January 8th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere or other that mages would get teleports. I also remember reading in that same place, something about groups of mages being able to conduct "rituals" of some kind to create a new teleport target, or something like that. It's been a while since I read it, so I'm a little vague on the details (not that there were many details in the first place).

Erling E.
January 8th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Page 2439 in Erling's Book of The Perfect MMORPG:

"Teleports = bad."

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 8th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Remind me not to buy your MMORPG :P

teleports = travel isnt a total time sink

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 8th, 2004, 09:40 PM
You mean you read over 2000 pages in one book? Thats alot of reading... I think that you should be able to teleport to continents only. And other than that have alternate forms of transport. I like the way they did the mounts for WoW. I cant figure out if i wanna make a dwarf or an orc, i mean a samurai lookin one like the blademaster, then i would get me puppy to ride and all.

katahn2001
January 9th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Having certain classes able to teleport isn't a bad thing, what I think is a bad thing is not every class having an innate form of gate or its equivilent. Gate allows for people who need to log off quickly to have a guaranteed way back to town quickly, without having to be dependant, in a potential RL emergency situation, on either being stuck in the bottom of a dungeon somewhere or hoping someone can teleport them out.

What is bad about teleports is when they are mass available and free. The Wayfarer Magi, the Nexus Spires, and worst of all the PoK books can all be used for free and have dramatically changed the game from feeling like a world to feeling more like, well, a game. If the Nexus scion *sold* the shards, or if using a PoK book required a reagent of some kind (something costing ~5pp or so), likewise for the Wayfarer's ("You must purchase the resonating gemstone to enable us to guide your passage to the other camp!") you'd have plat-sink and discourage casual or frivolous overuse of the teleporters while still having them there for the times when you want to join a group somewhere distant.

Naelaen
January 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM
I hated the PoK books when they first came out, now the spires you had to wait for, and hence meant there was a least some downside to using them. But in all honestly the PoK books have enabled me to visit a lot of Norrath that I wouldn't have before. Kills some of the adventure aspect in getting to places, but enables you to adventure in zone you hadn't visited before. Swings and roundabouts.

Realmreaver
January 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Well, hopefully the beta will start sometime soon then. I try to stay away from rumors, even those said by company employees. The truth is that no matter what someone says, it's still just words until it actually happens.

Blizzard - "The game is almost finished...no REALLY! It's going to be ready in 2 weeks....(two weeks later).... Oh we ment 2 weeks from today, errr...better make that 2 years from today. Okay, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY ready now, and nevermind that it's graphicly two years outdated." :D

I believe Blizzard makes good games, but I don't think they're the "gods" of gaming. It's one thing to take your time with a project, and make sure it's good before releaseing it, but it's another thing to take too long to the point that it's outdated in a lot of areas. *cough* Warcraft Adventures *cough* Excuse me! I must be coming down with a cold! ;)

I hope that Blizzard will realize that with WoW they can add more content later. Just as long as it's not buggy at launch and has enough to keep people interested, then I think it will be a sweet game.

Yeaj Warcraft adventures was a joke and really? WoW reminds me alot of EQ but a bit more cartoonie.. definitely not as detail as SWG but truth told if it's fun ? I don't think anyone is gonna give a rats .... well just saying EQ fans sure will think it's an improvement GFX wise.... the rest of us might take the hit to have something fun to play again.

Realmreaver
January 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Yeah, we'll see on the content...really no way of telling other than to go back to the "faith in the developer" line of thinking...but I'll tell you one thing, there was a thread that had a minimap up, and then showed that location on an area map, and then zoomed out to the reqional map...and then showed the world map.

WoW is a BIG game. And there's no teleporting...no mounts until level 40...so...if nothing else there will be a lot of walking to do! :P
I never had the prob with early EQ in this regard and truth told people will be oin one spot alot anyways playing with small groups till they get higher for high level raids.... so I don't think it will be a problem as some thinks.

FoghornDeadhorn
January 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM
On transport:

Major transportation modes will be to major locations, like cities. Plus, the boats (your major mode of transpo from continent to continent) are more of an adventure than a mode of transport. I think that's way cool...like, you can be attacked at sea and stuff. Probably run into little mini-quests sometimes, like "argh, thars a storm"....the next morning "tha winds carried us to an uncharted island sir...ARGH!"..."Thar be fish people on tha, argh, boat..." "please help us find our flippers! *bubble bubble*" "ARGHH!!!"

"Lolo sees a tiny dwarf! Always on the lookout, Lolo is!"

Tinlu
January 9th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I've always thought there were too meny pok books. One per contenient would be just fine. Also I hope in WoW they slow walkign down and have more random encounters, like if you walking in a forest you have % to enoughter a quest NCP(s) and the quest is based on your level. Nothing sucks more then running into newb quest after other class/race quest. Would be cool, you adventuring with friends, get ambused or surrounded, storyline, good voice actors, interesty story twists.

Ah well, we can dream.

ceelorn
January 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM
or at the very least one per faydark o.O