PDA

View Full Version : Playonline (FF11) Breaks 500,000 users

KiTA
January 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy11/news_6086169.htmlPla

I'm not sure if that's active accounts or not, but I believe they are. Must have been a lot of FF11 sales over the Christmas holliday.

(edit: Hit submit on accident before finished my sentence. Been a long night.)

Belelslooth
January 8th, 2004, 01:55 AM
6 people from my guild have joined the ranks of FF XI... me included

And I still get the cuteness shivers when I see that little Tarutaru girl asking me if I could 'visit mommy-wommy's little shoppy-woppy'.

brrr...

Cantatus
January 8th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Well, the way it's worded doesn't necessarily mean that these users are playing FFXI. You need PlayOnline to play FFXI, but you don't need FFXI to use PlayOnline. As far as I know, if you quit FFXI, your PlayOnline acct stays active (no monthly fee for it), so it doesn't seem like the number would have much relevance to how many are actually playing FFXI.

Foehammer
January 8th, 2004, 09:16 AM
I doubt that FFXI would have 500,000 users. Last time I checked, EQ still had the largest player base at close to 300,000 active accounts, with DAoC and UO at about 150,000ish each. Granted, that was in late September before FFXI came out. But I worked at Gamestop over the holidays, and the sales at our store didn't reflect that. We had maybe 20 copies when it released, and I think we only sold 7 of those in the first week.

Naelaen
January 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM
It's all figures, statistics lie I tell you :)

EQGuy17286
January 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM
What they need to announce is active FFXI content ID's, that will compare apples to apples with the numbers DAoC and EQ release.

Naryn
January 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Interesting statistics, but in my book it all boils down to fun rather than population....that is of course unless there isn't a population in the game :)

Then you have a problem!

Woody
January 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Foehammer... there are well over 400+K Active accounts for EQ. Where did you get your "info"?

And, don't don't doubt the 500+K FFXI accounts... that's probably pretty accurate.

Pedula_Bristle
January 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
You have to include how big FFXI is in asia.

Serresrelic
January 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah MMORPGS are huge over in asia. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXI did have 500,000 subscribers. But I also wouldn't be surprised if 475,000 of those subscribers were in the asian market.

Dark Tyger
January 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM
True dat. Ragnarok Online's player base in Asia numbers in the MILLIONS last I heard. oO

Pedula_Bristle
January 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Rag online can't really be completly accurute because of the way that internet cafe's over their use accts for rag online. Can't remember how they did it but it basically adds about 200,000 extra accts that really don't count. but still thats like 800-900,000 people.... and we thought we had server congestion. :)

Filan Fyretracker
January 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM
makes you wonder what people really do in asia if MMOs are so popular.

Foehammer
January 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about how big FF is in asia! Now that I think about it, 500k would make sense if more than half were in asia (which is probably accurate).

BTW, the info I got was published in the September issue of Computer Games Magazine if I remember right. I was quoteing info off the top of my head as I don't have the issue anymore. But if someone wants to check the numbers I think it was the issue with Ultima X on the cover. Also had a title on the cover something like "More people are playing MMO's and they're playing EQ." In the article they said the numbers were gotten from the publishers of the games based on active accounts.

Raxtull
January 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Sometime in November, I believe, when FFXI broke 400,000 the press release said that 300,000 were Japanese users. Which would mean that in a month and a half, the number of NA subscribers pretty much doubled. I'd say they're doing pretty well for themselves so far.

Pedula_Bristle
January 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
that extra 100k more than likely also includes some asianers in there. i doubt that it suddenly stopped growing overseas.

Foehammer
January 8th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Before it's release, SoE was billing SWG as a game that would break the 1 million player mark. Because of a bad launch and other issues, it's obviously falling well short of that. I've heard that RO has a ton of players, but I think that's almost totally in asia. I've never even heard of RO except for what I've seen on Tech TV, and in the magazines.

Warcraft has a huge following, so if it's as good as people expect I think WoW could break 1 million players.

BTW, where do all the asian players get so much time to play games? Does Japan run on a 32 hour day, or do most of them play games for a living? Man, I'd be rich if I got paid $30/hr to play games! :D

Realmreaver
January 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM
SWG better pull their collective heads outta their buttocks or I am SO gone when WoW pops cause I am a fan of blizzard though this be the first big MMORPG from Blizzard they do their games so well I have ALOT more faith in Blizzard then Sony at this point....

Also found out some members from SWG dev team heading to EQ2 concidering what the old team did to SWG forget that crude.

SWG is getting better but it got the whole 'content' thing to deal with.

Raven00x
January 8th, 2004, 04:42 PM
i thought player cities, vehicles and mounts *was* content?

or the 2 on 1 pvp?

or the fantastic battlegrounds?

*sigh* i'm so jaded...

Gozak
January 8th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Meh, I'm surprised this announcement hasn't come earlier, given the popularity of Final Fantasy on both shores and the fact that Square is a household name. Also, lots of these accounts are very inactive I imagine. For example, an old message board I used to post at broke 25,000 members- but only 100 of those posted regularly, even if that.

With 500k+ Play Online members, more then likely 20% are FF11, and everything else is older then that. I highly doubt that there are 500,000 people that are playing and have bought Final Fantasy 11, but I could be wrong...

Velenka
January 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I doubt that FFXI would have 500,000 users. Last time I checked, EQ still had the largest player base at close to 300,000 active accounts, with DAoC and UO at about 150,000ish each. Granted, that was in late September before FFXI came out. But I worked at Gamestop over the holidays, and the sales at our store didn't reflect that. We had maybe 20 copies when it released, and I think we only sold 7 of those in the first week.

Most people I know order their games online. *shrug*

As to the numbers.. why not? Is it that hard to believe that there are at least 500,000 Final Fantasy fans? :)

KiTA
January 8th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Most people I know order their games online. *shrug*

As to the numbers.. why not? Is it that hard to believe that there are at least 500,000 Final Fantasy fans? :)

*nod* They say Playonline, so I donno if that's active FF accounts or not. And that still doesnt' even come close to touching Lineage: The Bloodpledge's 2 (some say it hit 3 recently) million active accounts. @.@

Oh, and your avatar made me do a spit take all over my monitor. :P Thanks. :D

Dragonel
January 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I've got to jump on the Velenka boat here...

Yes, FFXI is popular in asia (though the popularity of the FF series is absolutely dwarfed by the Dragon Hero/Warrior series and... Some psychic horror RPG series with a japanese name, and when I say totally dwarfed, I mean brutally crushed). But Final Fantasy has perhaps the biggest US following of any non-sports series. How many people do you know who call themselves "console gamers" and don't love FF? How many call themselves "RPG gamers" and don't love FF?

I think dismissing American accounts as only 25k (1/20th of the numbers we're talking about) when the series is as popular (if not moreso) here than there, is being a bit overly optimistic. Pessimistic. Somethingistic.

Why don't we want FFXI to have a large US following again? o.O

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Yeah i agree with Velenka (btw i loved the hat picture). And if you think about it there are approx 350 million poeple in the US (not sure about the current numbers). Not all of which have a computer capable of MMOG play. Then you take just China they got what 1 billion poeple? /em points pinky to corner of mouth. Then you got all those other places like Korea, Japan, etc. And FF was origanally from Japan. So if you take that into account it is quite possible to have 500,000 accounts, you just have to look at the broader picture.

Which i think it is a smart thing that Blizzard is releasing WoW in Korea as well as the US and others. Just cant wait for that beta, hey any of you know if they let you keep your beta character after launch cause that would Roxxor. /em puts on tin foil hat. I wish i had a digital camera but im too lazy to take a picture of myself that i dont know how is going to turn out. Get it developed. And then scan it.

Cantatus
January 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
The number will only continue to grow when FFXI moves to the PS2 in America in March.

January 8th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I dunno lot a poeple *ehem like Woody* (jk bud) dont like the way that they put FF into an MMORPG form.?.

I think the PS2 will make the numbers grow but not by much, ie the hardrive and maybe keyboard and mouse you might wanna buy. But i started playing it, #1 had my friends in Eq so i eventually drifted from it #2 i didnt like the fact that there were poeple who had already played the game thoroughly when i was only level 1. #3 I wanna go back but they keep on throwing expansions at my rogue and apparently my Sony resist is very low.

Woody
January 8th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Actually that's a little backward Penguin. I didn't like the Final fantasy games. My personal opinion is that they're pretty much garbage.

But, the MMORPG version interests me.

KiTA
January 9th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Yes, FFXI is popular in asia (though the popularity of the FF series is absolutely dwarfed by the Dragon Hero/Warrior series and... Some psychic horror RPG series with a japanese name, and when I say totally dwarfed, I mean brutally crushed). But Final Fantasy has perhaps the biggest US following of any non-sports series. How many people do you know who call themselves "console gamers" and don't love FF? How many call themselves "RPG gamers" and don't love FF?

The other series is called "Shin Megami Tensei" and had it's "Demikids" and "Persona" games released (butchered, some fans say) in the US, and it's not as popular as FF I don't believe -- in fact, none of them have even gone platinum (http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten2.htm#ListMillions). However, Dragon Quest does dwarf them both by a huge amount. If you want to fanboi out with me, here are the various interesting sales figures of the DQ/FF games:

DQ3 (NES, 2 months after FF1 was released): 3.8 million copies sold -- this is not including the 2 or 3 remakes and their sales. (This game was so popular the Japanese government has prohibited the launch of new Dragon Quest games on a weekday because of muggings and the fact that most of the country shut down because everyone ditched school/work to go buy it. No, I'm not kidding. (http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=my_mod&p=Japanese+Dragon+Quest+law))
FF8: 3.62 Million copies sold. (IIRC they had a lot of returns on it.)
DQ7: 4.06 Million copies sold, 3 million preorders. 2.1 milion copies (the entire print run) sold the first day/weekend. This puts it at the highest selling RPG ever, highest selling PS1 game ever, and third highest selling console game ever -- in Japan, that is.
FF9: (Came out about 2 weeks before DQ7, they moved the release 3 times to avoid DQ7's constantly shifting release date -- DQ7 was delayed for over 5 years, IIRC). 2.86 million. It was funny to watch the Deneki sales charts when DQ7 came out, FF9 just kinda fell off the map.

The prospect of an online DQ is definately interesting, and if anything would be the first MMORPG in Japan to break 1 million subscribers in Japan alone, Dragon Quest Online would do it. But I don't think Yuji Horii, the producer of all the DQ games since DQ1 (and he wrote Chrono Trigger's story), would go for it, and IIRC what he says goes as far as DQ is concerned. They're very, very conservative with the DQ games. Each one has had the exact same battle engine, slightly tweaked and refined, since the first one back before the Famicom came out. DQ8 (http://www.level5.co.jp/english/products/new/dq8/index.html) looks a bit different -- the art is still by Akira Toriyama of Dragonball fame, but this time they're having Level5 (Dark Cloud, True Fantasy Live Online) do an engine that looks sorta like an interactive 3d manga. Looks really great, and since it's the same 3 people producing it that have made every other DQ game, it should play just fine. :)

Anyway, this got a little more off track than I entended, but it's really late here and I have an early morning, so... er... no PK, I newbie? ^^;

KiTA
January 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Actually that's a little backward Penguin. I didn't like the Final fantasy games. My personal opinion is that they're pretty much garbage.

But, the MMORPG version interests me.

And they pretty much are, nowadays. They really took a nosedive once the new execs took over Squaresoft. In my opintion, the ones before 7 are much, much better, however -- and "Final Fantasy Anthology", "Final Fantasy Origins" and "Final Fantasy Chronicles" have every game except FF3j in them, and they were all recently re-printed in the US as PSX Greatest Hits so you should be to find them for rather cheap if you look. ^^;

I thought you really disliked the MMORPG? Or at the very least, the website? Read that DQ8 website (http://www.level5.co.jp/english/products/new/dq8/index.html) I linked up there if you wan't -- the FFXI US site isn't particularly condisending for a Japanese to English site, it's just how the Japanese polite form of speech translates to English, IIRC.

Dragonel
January 9th, 2004, 06:04 AM
*bows down before Kita*

Your Kung Fu's the best...

Belelslooth
January 9th, 2004, 06:13 AM
25% of the NA subscribers are likely European :)

European release planned for 2004Q4, and for what? Another 'Stick of Death' episode? Dutch people couldn't care less for Paralyse/Paralyze...

Velenka
January 9th, 2004, 07:11 AM
For folks wondering about world population/us population.. the numbers (http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html). Just to put the rest of those consumer numbers into perspective. 500,000 looks like small beans now :)

January 9th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Oh so thats what you meant. Yeah i find them way too time consuming if you want to get to the end of one.

Glad that the MMORPG on interests you. It would interest me more if my friends played it with me.

Foehammer
January 9th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Ya know, I wasn't too interested in FFXI when it released. I used to be a huge fan of FF during the SNES days, but since FF3 (FF6 in Japan), I've been less then impressed. FFX has come the closest to being as good as FF6 IMHO, but it was way too linear.

But now the reviews of FFXI are starting to come out, and I've seen nothing but great reviews. PC Gamer even went so far as to say that it's done in 4 months what EQ did in 6 years, and that it's the best MMORPG on the market. In fact, they said the only really bad thing is that there's a minor language barrier since the servers are mixed, and that the graphics could be a little better (since they're based off the PS2).

With good comments like that, I might just have to give in and check it out. ;)

Renix
January 9th, 2004, 11:52 PM
You can go sign up for a PlayOnline account for free over at the site, you get access to forums, strategy guides for square games, and a newsletter, amongst other things. I forgot I had a playonline account until they sent me an offer to beta test the PS2 version of FFXI awhile back.

Didn't make it in...

anyways, back on the topic. They're probably just counting the playonline accounts in total, its very likely that not even half of the PO accounts are subscribed to FFXI.

KiTA
January 10th, 2004, 01:16 AM
anyways, back on the topic. They're probably just counting the playonline accounts in total, its very likely that not even half of the PO accounts are subscribed to FFXI.

I donno about that -- they announced recently that FFXI had at least 300,000 active accounts. So if they are inflating it a bit (which is very possible), it's not by that much.

John Dyne
January 10th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I have a PlayOnline account. It was required because of the stupid crap they pulled with the FFIX strategy guide, which pretty much told you on every page 'GO TO PLAYONLINE.COM FOR STRATEGY GUIDE INFO. OH, THERE'S A CHEST IN THE CORNER.'

Zarithar
January 10th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I just don't like the overall "feel" of the game for some reason... I can't quite put a finger on it, but that's what keeps me away from it.

EvilIguana966
January 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I've got to jump on the Velenka boat here...

Jumpin on the boat eh? Yarr! We be boardin yer boat! Avast ye scurvey dogs! Consider ye selves captives ARRR!!!!! (No calls for parlay either, those are just guidelines)

Dragonel
January 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Perhaps I should've said train...

"Who ever thought of Par-lay, anyways?!?"

"The French."