PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Images

Foehammer
January 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
I just had an idea, so I thought I'd post it here. I think this is more of a question for Woody, but I wanted to see what other people think too. I've been reading GU for a couple months now, and last month was the first time I had donated to get a desktop image. I loved the Bronze Dragon image, but I missed some other images from past months. Would other people be interested in having a sepreate donate section where for a set donation, you could download a desktop image from a previous month? Or possibly something simular to that? Ideas? Comments? Woody with the rabid beaver on his head? :)

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Woody has stated in the past that if you don't donate in a given month, you don't get that months desktop, period. I don't recall if he has given specific reasons for that, but it may be that he doesn't want to use that much bandwidth. Or it may be that people would have less motivation to donate every month. Instead, they might just pay the "set donation" like every six months or so. I am sure Woody would rather have the income consistently. But all of that is speculation only. Anywhoo, I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Tenolein
January 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Speaking of desktop images, I got a new hard drive for Christmas because my original one had a Trojan. So I cannot replace my image for the month of November, I think. Its the one with the elf and dwarf in their adventure gear. I was just wondering if there's a way I can get those back or if I just donate again. =P

Thanks in advance for the help.

BlackMage
January 8th, 2004, 07:48 PM
The rabid beaver is from a thread on the old boards where someone pointed out that the hat on his avatar's head sort of looked like a beaver, and he changed is avatar... appropriately. :D

ancarett
January 8th, 2004, 08:18 PM
You could always try commissioning Woody to make you a custom desktop (along with a cool avatar). If'n I was still playing EQ, I'd be keen for that.

That said, we donated the month that Toast (the DAoC troll) was up and it still brings a smile to my husband's face every time he boots up his computer. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!

Incidentally, my desktop is a picture of my two girls, otherwise I'd have a /gu image there too!

Tenolein
January 8th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Yea, I'd still have the desktop pic up if I didn't get my last hard drive all messed up. Oh well, this current one of my cheap redone EQ character will have to do for now.

Woody
January 8th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Tenolein ... email me from the account you donated from so I can verify who you are and we'll see if we can't get the image for you.

To answer Foehammer's question, though, I will not be making previous desktops available to people that didn't donate for them at the time. That would devalue the relative exclusiveness of them.

Takara
January 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM
You could always try commissioning Woody to make you a custom desktop (along with a cool avatar). If'n I was still playing EQ, I'd be keen for that.

You know, I think Woody would do commissions for characters from -any- game....

Woody
January 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I've done character sketches for AD&D, EQ, DAoC, StarWars, Shadowbane, and a game called 12 past Midnight thus far.

Billybobtheranger
January 9th, 2004, 01:00 AM
*thinks of Starcraft*
Cackle...won't do that to ya woody

Dark Tyger
January 9th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Really wish I could afford to have a commission done. :(

Foehammer
January 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
To answer Foehammer's question, though, I will not be making previous desktops available to people that didn't donate for them at the time. That would devalue the relative exclusiveness of them.

Awww, that's too bad. :( But I guess it does make it more exclusive to those that donated during that month. I would have liked to see the Toast desktop, though. Toast smush! :D

ancarett
January 10th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Ooooo, maybe it's time to save up for a commission of my own!

Duffy Happypants
January 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Hmmmmm we havent seen toast in a comic lately

Woody
January 10th, 2004, 10:50 AM
I can't seem to wring any humor out of the grab bags lately.

DAoC folks please feel free to submit ideas.

Naelaen
January 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Toast replaces monkey in Ted's sleep deprived imagination :mrgreen: