PDA

View Full Version : The Nameless found.....

Naelaen
January 10th, 2004, 05:56 PM
....in Lavastorm!

Basically (for those non-EQ players) the nameless is like the force. It's just there, it created the universe and keeps it going. Equally it could destroy it at a whim.

(complying with the easy ways: the two pictures are snippits from EQ screenshots, showing what needs to be shown and hiding my awful UI layout :mrgreen: )

Anyway, I was on my way to Sol A to check out the Inferno goblin wizard when I noticed this (http://www.ventral.btinternet.co.uk/everquest/images/strangemob1.jpg) on track. I decided to try and check it out, and as this screenshot (http://www.ventral.btinternet.co.uk/everquest/images/strangemob2.jpg) shows it was possible to track it down. It led me to the lava pool shown which is just north west of the Najena entrance. I was able to target whatever it was by using f8, but as you can see it cons red and yet has no name. I didn't try to attack it (could have caused a cataclysmic shock that would destroy the whole of Norrath..... or not as the case may be :))

Basically there you have it, a nameless mob. I'm just curious if this is a bug on Vazaelle, or on other servers as well. Or if it is even a bug at all. Are there more like it? Have they been around for a while? Whatever it may be, it is very strange and something to investigate next time you can't get into any groups. :D

Varyl
January 10th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, i'm on my way to check it out on Firiona Vie...

FuzzyBear
January 10th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Try right clicking it and see if it's a bank :P

You never know, it's happened twice now.

http://www.notacult.com/banker/banker.html

If it is. O_o Don't use it. The first time, people got to enjoy a nice tasty bag of ban.

Kelori
January 10th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Yea.. SOE takes exploits very seriously... Ban sticks are wielded. Well, I doubt using a banker that is out of place will get you banned, especially if you make a /petition and inform the CSR of it. But sitting there and using it repeatedly for profit.... ok, thats out of my system.

Back on the topic of the Nameless. I have seen this kinda thing on track in Lavastorm and in other places. I assumed it was a corrupted mob (like the exclamation point mobs that would appear on your track in East Karana back in the day) The Nameless you say.. Very very good work! To find such an entity... *wipes a tear* His (does this entity even have a gender?) followers will be pleased! errr, read the first post.. its a force.. not a diety.. oh ok. I am so behind on my EQ stuff. All these new things. I remember simpler times with the original EQ... there was no Namelass, no terris Thule.. Bristlebane, Brell, bertox, Tunare, Inny, cazic, Rallos Zek, Quellius, Rodcet Nife, Veeshan, Prexus , the Marr twins, Solusek ro, and the tribunal! That was it! ( err course, now I am searching for my EQ manual to check this... *sigh* I need sleep...)

Mihos
January 10th, 2004, 06:59 PM
It could be like the "River Source" mob in The Warrens - it's not really there, even though it's there. I spent a good fifteen minutes thwacking the heck out of it, it never fought back, and regen'd it's hitpoints almost as fast as I was taking them away. ::shrug:: Just a thought. Don't know why the River Source is there, either.

And that link, Fuzzy... took me about an hour of plodding around Norrath doing gear swaps and such pondering what was so odd about a character named Sitnay using a banker that shouldn't really be there... until I realized that Sitnay backwards is...

Kweil
January 10th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I've had talks with GM and Guides about this. Basically the mobs (which are are a lot of in many different zones) are there to assist in some function of the game. They wouldn't tell me much more then that and its a bug in track that allows them to appear. Why they haven't fixed it I don't know.

I have actually killed the one in lavastorm. It uses the name "Pain and Suffering" for some of its melee or death messages (sorry it was over a year ago).

The mob is indifferent, has no graphic, is mobile, will run on low health, and hits decently.

FuzzyBear
January 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Hrm.
I'm getting the feeling that every zone has one...somewhere.
An unkillable (or nearly so) mob that does much of nothing (ala River source...I'd forgotten about that one) except "serve a function".

Who knows. Maybe you need an actual creature in a zone in order to control the respawning. Would be a neat bit of programming. Nameless mob has the ability to spawn creatures within a certain monster table, at specified scripted locations and times. Rather like a #maketarget 12798 -400 187 3 at a specified time interval after it shows up as not in zone.

Complete speculation there, but *shrug* who knows. I can't imagine what else it could help with at the moment, and I honestly doubt that Sony intends to tell us.

Still, theories are fun. 8)

Varyl
January 10th, 2004, 07:30 PM
okay, i just killed the one in lavastorm, it was refered to as Pain and Suffering in hit messages(when it hit my pet and when my pet hit it), i took many screenshots of it, will post them here when i get home from work, was DB to me at 51, DB to my friend at 52 and red to my other friend at 38, respawned in roughly 5min, lol, no loot sadly, =/ though i was able to check by assisting my pet after it's death to get the corpse target and then /loot

as for a gender for this mob it is definitely female(i know i will hear a lot of jokes concerning pain and suffering being femanine...) that is based from the sounds it made when hit.

Varyl
January 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
oh, i also heard there was one in EK called pain and suffering in hit messages too but it hit for 300 damage and procced a 20k dd spell...

BlackMage
January 10th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Mihos you know, thats pretty freaky. Maybe someone should look into it. Like my elite hacker ninjas with exploding floppy disks. Yes. But seriously, that could be Yantis and explain ALOT of stuff. :|

Erling E.
January 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM
May the Lava be with you.

KyrosKrane
January 11th, 2004, 12:00 AM
There are lots of these mobs scattered around. They're used for stuff like general emote messages, the LDoN "mysterious voice," and so on.

Here's an easy one to spot. Head to the Nexus, and find any of the teleport pads. Try to stand at the exact center of one. You can't. There's an invisible, untargetable block in the exact center of the pad. This is the "mob" that generates message like "The Kunark Spire begins to cast a spell" and so on -- it's the source of the port messages. (If you do check this out, be careful you don't get ported by the spires accidentally! :) )

Serresrelic
January 11th, 2004, 01:05 AM
If you use the infamous showeq program, these invisible mobs show up on there. There are quite a lot of them.

so I've heard.

John Dyne
January 11th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I've actually picked a fight with 'A mysterious voice', the one near the Karana spires. It didn't fight back, but I think I did interrupt it's castng of the teleport up to Luclin. The people there cracked up because of it, then they got fidgety cause they couldn't get up to Luclin.

Naelaen
January 11th, 2004, 03:59 AM
I had a feeling it would be something to do with game mechanics. If it was in say Half-life it would be an invisible entity (or one that is outside the map) which things are anchored to (spawn points for example).

Good old pain and suffering, shame that got taken out of the game. I just thought it would be fun to connect this nameless entity with the Nameless :)

Kylinee
January 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Yes, it's annoying (as i am a ranger) when these "mobs" show up on track. They have no name but for instance, the "Pain and Suffereing" will "attack" you when you get down into the purple club, I bet that's why there is one in the lava. You will see "Pain and Suffering try to hit you, but MISS" (they have TERRIBLE weapon skills.. they always miss, but i always end up dying anyway *sighs*). I think they are also used for emotes like "rocks fall from the ceiling." However, it's weird, some zones are FULL of those blank track spots, and some aren't. Ssra Temple.. empty track spaces everywhere. I'm wondering if they are less careful now adays with new zones and making sure such mobs do not show up on track? I can't currently think of any old world (Orig/Kunark/Velious) zones that have a lot of the little nameless buggers running around. Eh, I hope Advanced Track AA, lets me get rid of them...

Varyl
January 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM
These are 10 screenshots(in order) taken from our two fights with this fellow...

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering1.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering2.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering3.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering4.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering5.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering6.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering7.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering8.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering9.jpg

http://www.nostalgicinsanity.com/eq/painandsuffering10.jpg

And yes i realize my UI layout is HORRIBLY cluttered...

Naelaen
January 11th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Hehe, I manage to fit mine round the edges but it gets worse with every patch hehe :D

I don't think its a case of getting sloppy, but more likely the nameless gaps are used for "advanced features" more often. But with the tracking bug it picks up all the new tricks. I guess we'll just have to /bug it and see what happens.

Dragonel
January 11th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I recall hearing a while back that when some zone was plagued, characters would get messages like "Your eyes begin to itch." This was achieved by having a bunch of invisible mobs named "Your eyes" running around emoting "begin to itch." to the immediate area.

There are a few mobs like this in FFXI, as well, though there's no track skill to make 'em turn up like this, and the only ones I've been able to see are visible for a reason. The best example would be that most wells are mobs, and along certain rivers there are mobs named "The name of this river." You can trade various containers to these mobs in order to fill them with water from the appropriate source (usually for quests).

Kweil
January 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hmm I think I'm gonna go kill that mob again for some fun :)

Naelaen
January 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I recall hearing a while back that when some zone was plagued, characters would get messages like "Your eyes begin to itch." This was achieved by having a bunch of invisible mobs named "Your eyes" running around emoting "begin to itch." to the immediate area.

That was Freeport during the plague, yeah somebody posted that on here.

I'll have to see if one of the Ocean of Tears boats shows up on track next time I visit Kaladim/Freeport/OOT. You can target them (one is called Stormbreaker, don't know about the other) but they don't have a consider colour, unlike these invisible entities.

Kweil
January 11th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Just killed the thing, dark blue to both 65 and 61. Mob was male as the consider message used he. Is slowable, lullable, doesn't summon but has a high movement rate. Even at 5% and snared he was able to crawl away. It is charmable and mezzable also. Can easily be outrun with Selo and Sow.

That particular one gives the "You are burning!" message.

Dark Tyger
January 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Try right clicking it and see if it's a bank :P

You never know, it's happened twice now.

http://www.notacult.com/banker/banker.html

If it is. O_o Don't use it. The first time, people got to enjoy a nice tasty bag of ban.

Despite their page dedicated to attempting to shoot down the truth, that was a hoax. Various versions of this story had been running around during the plat duping spree, placing the banker in Befallen as well. Oddly, no one seemed to have seen it firsthand. In fact, several people went in specifically looking for these bankers and never found them.

And Flowers of Happiness aren't exactly known as the type of guild that would never spread false rumors...

Mordican
January 11th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Since the EQ engine doesn't allow random zone events to take place they need some sort of placeholder mob with an AE range for some of the affects in game. Port Spires, zone messages like LDoN type stuff, etc...

Some you can kill, some you cannot. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. SoE considers it along the lines of camping Bankers :) (Did it in HHK when I went KoS and got a warning)

xanzabak
January 12th, 2004, 02:56 AM
That pain and suffering message used to show up when you were knocked unconscious and slowly dying, I haven't seen it in a long time though.

Pedula_Bristle
January 12th, 2004, 03:37 AM
I found an invisible something today in EF at the LDoN camp.. right by the little ruins with the bird bath in it. facing it to the right about 5 paces back from the entrance and 3 to the right of entrance there is something their that u can't walk over. At least on bristlebane.

Gnomish
January 12th, 2004, 07:05 AM
i have gotten the Pain and Suffering messages alot when i play my very low level toons

Blackloch
January 12th, 2004, 07:50 AM
There is also an invisible mob named "Spawn Master" (or something close...been a long time since i have been here) in Temple of Veeshan right at the enterance behind one of the fire pots. Has more hitpoints than god and it doesn't hit back (but can riposte).

WuphonsReach
January 12th, 2004, 10:23 AM
It could be like the "River Source" mob in The Warrens - it's not really there, even though it's there. I spent a good fifteen minutes thwacking the heck out of it, it never fought back, and regen'd it's hitpoints almost as fast as I was taking them away. ::shrug:: Just a thought. Don't know why the River Source is there, either.

That's a quest mob (check Illia's) for either Erudin or Paineel. The idea is that you poison the kobold's water source by giving "River Source" a potion.

Dravvan
January 12th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I thought the Nameless mob was part of the monk epic?

Raven00x
January 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM
as i recall...in lore, The Nameless is the god of gods. kinda like juno/jupiter/zeus/odin of EQ lore, only...noone knows much about The Nameless.

the bit for the monk epic in LS is fighting one of hte celestial fists (or whatever their group is called) in a pit of lava, but it's an iksar monk that you fight as far as i know, not an invisible mob.

Naelaen
January 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Jupiter/Zeus/Odin (Juno being Jupiter's wife) had personalities, the Nameless does not. Nobody knows much about it, only that it is just...... there. :)

Raven00x
January 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM
well, it's quite concieveable that juno's wife was the real power. Boobie magic can mez/charm even gods, y'know.

John Dyne
January 12th, 2004, 11:49 AM
The Nameless is more like the Force, in that it isn't a physical entity and has no name or mind. It merely want binds the universe together and spawned the first of the first, a neutral faceless, nameless being that doesn't care for the squabbles of good and evil or the war of the gods it created. A timeless being that IS the universe for Norrath, something that cannot likely be destroyed or stop. Essentially, you could see the Nameless as time or even the universe that contains the planet of Norrath itself.

Mor`gruth
January 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Pain and suffering is a mob that's in every old world zone. From my experience as a... ahh.. person that helped people *cough nondiscloser policy* Pain and Suffering in Lavastorm has always been a problem. S/he's also in game to help "discourage" (read: kill) players in certain zones if they are in a known area that causes exploits, or some such. I can't quite remember, it was a few years ago when I had to help anyone out with pain and suffering.

Gnomish
January 12th, 2004, 12:14 PM
When my SK was Level 11 i was running to PC's newbie area,thru shadeweavers thicket, by myself... i attacked them little alien guys and the ganged up on poor lil me, and chased me (i was REALLY REALLY REALLY LOST) i fell off a cliff thing, and got killed by Pain and Suffering.

EvilIguana966
January 12th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Yes I encountered pain and suffering on my druid one time in lavastorm. I got killed by it since it was pretty much immune to my roots/snares/dots etc. If I recall it wasnt immune to fire damage, but its been a long time.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I once saw a mob in EK (I think) that was named "!". It was a human male, very very green, killed quite easily. Maybe it was a bug with one of those nameless mobs

Kweil
January 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
The "!" named mobs are due to a corruption that causes the real NPC to be removed. I haven't seen one in a long time and really only remember them during the Velious time.

Blackloch
January 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I remember a number of "!" mobs even before Kunark came out. Kweil is right....they are corrupted NPC files that are replaced by the customary human male model with 1 hitpoint until the problem is fixed.

John Dyne
January 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I once encountered a mob named !the_ground. It was a human model, gnome sized, with huge brown gnomish hair. It was green con, and I bashed it once and it died. Left a corpse with no loot on it.. found it fairly odd.

Serresrelic
January 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I remember seeing one of those weird "!" mobs in Kedge or CoM one time.

Satarus
January 12th, 2004, 02:12 PM
! used to be in EK for the longest time back before luclin.

Devis
January 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I find it funny that the answer to almost anything found or done on EQ is to kill it and check for loot. Who said we aren't loot-mongers?

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 12th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I tried hailing !, it wouldn't talk to me. So I killed it. That's what it gets for being a snob :D

Satarus
January 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Now that i think back, I remember that nameless NPC in lavastorm. I found him a long while ago when i first got track. There are tons of blank names on track all over the place in norrath and luclin. I don't think all that many can actually be tracked and targeted like that lavastorm one.