PDA

View Full Version : FFXI questions...

Ganedin Frosthammer
January 12th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Hi all, I'm a two-year EQ'er, and I've gotten pretty bored with it recently. I took a look at some of the FFXI stuff, and I nearly hit myself for being so blind and not switching to FFXI hehe :D

I just have a few questions for you folks that play it already...
Is it hard to get the Worldpasses? I have a few friends I wanna play with really badly.
Also, how many characters can you have before you have to pay the extra dollar or so a month to have extras? Is it only one?

I've looked on the FFXI site and either I'm stupid and can't find it, or it's there in the Q&A thing that I didn't bother looking hard at...

Thanks for your help!

Ganedin Frosthammer
55th Luminary, Order of the White Hand
Morell-Thule server

Cobble
January 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM
worldpasses are quite easy to get. They only cost around 1.5K which doesnt take that long to get.

Yes, you are only allowed one char before you have to pay for others.

Necrosaro
January 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM
World passes are available at every major city. And they are relatively cheap. Only about 1000-1500 gil.

You can only have 1 character with the normal subscription. But since you can change your job at any time with no penalties it isn't as bad as you think. The only problem is some races don't do well with certain jobs.

BlackMage
January 12th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Theres another way, developed by american newbies, since 1k-1.5k was a fortune. This is how I am going to get on Valefor, since I forgot to ask for a world pass.

Dragonel
January 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM
The mysterious "Other way" BlackMage talks about is Server Roulette. You make a character. Sit through five minutes of intro, and wait for the game to tell you your server. If it's the one you want, you win! If not, you delete, and sit through another five minutes of un-skippable movie.... With about 20 servers, this can take literally hours, so I'd go for a worldpass if at all possible.

And, Blackmage? It's *never* too late to ask. Several members of GuShell on Valefor are mobile and usually quite willing to buy you a worldpass (heck, I'll buy one of Cobble and the others are tired of it), and if you keep an eye out for the right folks, you can get in a linkshell pretty quickly.

Check out GuShell (http://www.cobblestoned.com/gushell/)'s forums to ask for a pass...

The trouble with worldpasses, I've found, isn't so much the cost as the level variance. By the time your friends can afford a worldpass easily they're usually a week or more ahead of you in experience. (Which is why you need a worldpass, BM, I'm tired of being GuShell's baby, heh)

Velenka
January 12th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Drag, when I have the time and money to hop back into game, you can revel in your position as Second Youngest.

<---forever The Baby.

KitsuneFox
January 13th, 2004, 12:09 AM
The mysterious "Other way" BlackMage talks about is Server Roulette. You make a character. Sit through five minutes of intro, and wait for the game to tell you your server. If it's the one you want, you win! If not, you delete, and sit through another five minutes of un-skippable movie.... With about 20 servers, this can take literally hours, so I'd go for a worldpass if at all possible.

Actually; it's significantly shorter. Make your character as usual - get all the way to 'associate with handle'. Associate it, then ESCAPE OUT. Now go to select character - your server is listed there. No intro; you can make a server roullete in about 30 seconds if you're 'in the groove', max of 90 secs.

Ganedin Frosthammer
January 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Alright, I've been looking at the FFXI website, and the game looks awesome, but I've been thinking and I get more and more confused...

They say you basically have to be higher than level 20 or something to get a Chocobo Raising Licence...is level 20 hard/time consuming to get to?
Or, how long does it take to level? Is it a multiple day and/or grind affair? Or is it like log on for an hour or two and get a level? One thing that I can't stand in EQ is the need to be grouped for the good portion of a day to get a level at the high end.

The game looks awesome and I can't wait to get it this weekend and start playing :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, now that I think about it, what happens on death? I remember that you go back to your homepoint (or was it mog house or something? Bleh, too much info about a game I haven't even played yet :lol: ), but what happens about experience (*prays there won't be any XP loss or anything*) and the corpse that's left on the field?

Ganedin Frosthammer
55th Luminary, Order of the White Hand
Morell-Thule server

BlackMage
January 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I have all my items, and I think one loses like 1/4 of their exp. or something. Levelling up i that game is SO much more rewarding than in EQ. Also, levelling can take awhile ive heard, newbie levels are easy (I'm 5). Dunno bout the rest. You respawn near the gate of your hometown. If you go to the home crystal of your hometown, and set it as a homepoint (I am sick of this word), then you will respawn right there, and may have to do a bit of running to get back to the gate and own rabbits.

Velenka
January 13th, 2004, 02:37 PM
The exp you lose upon death is 10% of what you need to complete the level your at. So if you're lvl 9 needing 2,500 exp, when you die you'll only lose 250 exp. Just make sure you've gained more than 250 before death or you're looking at lvl 8 again :)

A WHM lvl 25 can raise you, but I'm not sure what the % of exp regained is, but I know it's there. Raises are done more for convenience sake, since travelling is time consuming, though re-dinging is a definate plus..

Euphem
January 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM
xp regain isnt that much... If you're bound only a few minutes away, you may as well return to home point.

And Vel... You cant be the baby. We already have Keemo :D

Saethori
January 13th, 2004, 04:21 PM
And, on the death thing...it wasn't mentioned.. there are no corpses. When you respawn at your Home Point, you have all items you had when you died...only thing you'll be missing is your hard-earned exp.

Note that because of the lack of corpses, the avenue for Raising is only while you're waiting there. The instant you opt to respawn, exp go bye bye.

I managed to hit 20 recently, and finish that Chocobo quest. 20 isn't that hard of an affair, but grouping to gain experience is almost a must. You can still solo though, since downtime is *much* less than it would be in EQ. I was at about four days played when I was at 20, so it may take a bit of effort. A lot of that was messing around, though.

Exp definately seems to be getting harder the further up you get, although there are some 'sweet spots' where exp can breeze by if your group can exploit the weaknesses of certain monsters.

This game is VERY quest-oriented. You need to do a quest for virtually everything useful... not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Want to unlock that Ninja job that you always thought suited you? Quest for it.
Think your Mog Bank is too small, want to make it bigger? Quest for it.
Want to run around the fields at Mach 2 with your feathery mount? Quest for it.

Finally, when going to be with your friends, try to figure out what country they have allegiance to. If you start under the same country, it will make it easier for them to locate you and help you out, not to mention other aspects.

Dragonel
January 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Soloing can be quite challenging, and will be nothing but a grind at higher levels, I think, based strictly on my experiences at low levels...

The experience required per level grows at a set rate (+250 or +500 per level, I can't remember which), and mobs give a set amount of experience based on your level, offering a juicy 100 for an even match. However, "even match" (or even the step down "decent challenge") is somewhat misleading. Every time I think a mob sounds like I should be able to take it, I can't help but think of a comic Woody did many many moons ago whose punchline was something like "Warriors can solo blue mobs! They need to be nerfed!"

As a lvl 10 (well, 11 now) thief, I considered myself lucky when I could kill a mob for 25 experience and not get any downtime. With about 2500 to level, this means a hundred kills, or an afternoon's work. I don't want to think about the time I'll be investing at lvl 25...

But there's hope. With subjobs you can get substantial stat bonuses, as well as useful skills (soloing with a white mage subjob is supposed to be much easier).

The party system works pretty well, also. You get a multiplier to the xp gained per mob based on your party side, this experience is then evenly divided among members (the highest member of your party is the one used to figure the base xp value for the monster). A good party shouldn't have much trouble hunting up, fighting tough, or even very tough monsters.

As an added bonus, when you're fighting monsters that con even or harder to you, you can form "exp chains." As soon as you beat a monster that's even or harder, the game starts counting down, secretly. If you beat another challenging monster before the timer hits zero, you get an EXP chain, and the process repeats. The first link in a chain is worth a bonus 6 exp. The second is worth 12, the third worth 18, and so on. If you have white mages minimizing your downtime, you can get quite a nice bonus.

Of course, all this hinges on having a good group, which takes time and coordination.

The upshot is, I don't know if FFXI is better than EQ in terms of grinding and soloing, but it's certainly no worse.

Belelslooth
January 14th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Exp chain bonus is 20%/step. This will lessen because of group split ofcourse. You can get up to +100% exp, as far as I know.

Red Mages are very powerfull, especially with subjobs, and I frequently solo even matches, and some tough caster mobs. I managed an exp chain at level 21, because I dinged 22 on the first mob(100 exp), and immediatly attacked the next tough gob (which was even match now) and killed it (again 100 exp).

It's boring to solo though... and when you get out of mana to heal yourself, you better have that 300% Burning Blade ready or it's 'Return to Hompoint' [Yes <> No]

Duhulk
January 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM
The amount of exprience you need to level doesn't go up at a steady pace, it fluxuates. It's 250 for the first few levels, then 200 most of the time, i've seen it go up just 100 a few times.

However, I have a feeling it will start jumping when you get higher, I recall someone in linkshell chat saying it went up 10,000 at 55.

Foehammer
January 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I just bought FFXI on Saturday, and I love it! I doubted it at first because the PS games haven't been that great lately. The biggest downside I have with it is there's a learning curve at the beginning, and no tutorial. "Now how do I open the menu again?" **flips through the manual**

The newbie levels are some of the easiest I've seen in an MMO. I got from level 1 to 6 in under 45 minutes. The combat is kind of boring, at least at newbie levels. Turn on attack, and wait. I liked DAoC better where you start getting combat styles after your first level.

Losing a level isn't as bad as in EQ from what I've seen so far. Overall, I think FF is the most enjoyable MMO I've played. Just a few minor issues, but still barrels of fun.

Shiach_gaidin
January 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
lol, I hit 25 recently (played like 10 days now total but I have only spent like 3 leveling total) and I think i might be able to solo up to 26 in oh, about 9 hours play or something like that, but the downtime is rather great, and If I fight anything over decent challenge I am toast, after level 10 any con should be regarded as at least one level higher.

Necrosaro
January 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I'm level 30 Black mage, 28 bard, 14 White Mage, and 10 Red Mage. Using Brd/Whm for now though. So I know a little about the game. Starting off as a newbie getting to level 20 should take you a week or two. Pre Level 20 you can get several levels a day depending on where you are and if you are in a good group. Once you hit 20 getting a level in a few hours is still possible, but you need to definitely be in a good group and the right spot. But as people have said, the exp you get from monsters does not go up, but the exp needed to level does. So it does take longer each level. It is not that bad if you are in a good group. Getting 150-200 exp per kill is considered good exp. I cant really say what it is like after level 30 yet.

There are also level limits. You can't go past level 50, 55, and 60 without doing a quest first. I hear some of them are hard or annoying to do.

This game is all about quests that let you able to do things. Like Subjob quest, increase mog safe size limit, increase your inventory size limit, ability to leave your mog house to any part of a city, ability to activate teleporters at outposts, ability to level past 50, and chocobo license.

One thing about soloing. It is painfully slow to solo for every class except for Beastmaster after level 20. You have to kill easy prey and maybe decent challenge monsters to get exp safely. Which is like 10 to 50 xp per kill.

Shiach_gaidin
January 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM
I have been told that the quest to get past 50 is difficult, and that around level 55 it is about 16000 XP to level or alot of playtime

Foehammer
January 15th, 2004, 09:22 AM
I have a question about FFXI since we're on the subject. The manual does a sucky job of explaining macros. Can I make combat macros, or do I have to use the annoying combat menu? I'm trying to use commands like:

/ws fastblade
/ws fast blade
/ws "fast blade"

But they all come back with a message saying an error occured. Am I using the wrong syntax?

Dakya
January 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM
That is because you need to type it in like this:

/ws "Fast Blade" <t>

Caps and punctuation exactly as above. It's picky.

Foehammer
January 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
LOL Dang, that is picky! Would you like fries with that Mr. Macro? :D

EQGuy17286
January 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I recently cancelled my account, for the following reasons:

Grouping restrictions are very tight, if your friends get a good group one night and make 3 levels and they were already 2 ahead, you can no longer efectively group with them.

Past a certain level, depending on class, solo is inefective to the point of being useless. The amount of downtime and risk of death out weighs any benifit. AFIK, Beastmasters are the only viable solo class. That class only becomes available at level 30.

Advanced classes only become available at level 30, which in itself is not bad, except when all your friends are leveling non-advanced classes as their main job. And it's annoying starting back at level 1 again, lol.

UI is functional, but far from intuitive. Camera controls are annoying, no casting bar, etc. Things most of us are used to in normal US based MMOGS.

It's not a bad game overall, but those are the reasons I quit playing it. Some of those may or may not matter to others in varied degress, but all of them togather were enough for me to decide the game was not worth it. Your milage may vary =)

Arishia
January 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Can't really argue most of those, since they're your opinion. =) However, no casting bar? Everytime you cast a spell, a little window pops up in the upper left corner that goes from 0% to 100% as the spell casts. Is that what you mean by casting bar? If so, there surely is one. =)

And as for camera... I play in first person ^_^; camera works wonderfully well in that view =)

EQGuy17286
January 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well, by cast bar I meant shortcut bar/hotbar, etc. FFXI is all macro driven, which I find clunky (mainly due to the Alt or Ctrl + # macro system they use instead of single key). Tried first person too, but when ever I fought something short is sucked my veiw down into the ground, hehe.

And yep, they are my opinion, however in my defense, I'm not the only ones with those specific gripes about the game =)

In the end it all comes down to buying and trying, I did, didn't like, cancelled. Somewhere in that procedure tho, I forgot to post a 500 page rant on VN ;)

Oh, and tad more feedback from Square's US Community Relations guy would be nice.

Honestly tho, if they slapped a DAoC/EQ style inferface option on the front, along with the same camera setup, relaxed grouping a tad, I'd probly come back in a heartbeat, even without making soloing more practical.

lionfire
January 19th, 2004, 06:51 PM
A DAoC/EQ Style interface? Why take a step backward?

Dragonel
January 19th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Actually, the interface is probably the only real complaint I have about the game. The reason for pretty much every complaint EQguy voiced is easily explained- It was designed for a PS2 controller.

The plethora of keys available to your average PC gamer means it's never been hard to bind a key to do whatever bizarrely minute task you wish to do, whereas for several years now console gamers (especially role players) have developed the skill of using a scarce few buttons (for the PS2 controller, this is ten buttons, one four-button d-pad, and two analog sticks), and doing so with mind-numbing speed. Playing FFXI I can easily see myself using a controller and playing the game comfortably without any use whatsoever of macros or a hotkey bar (for anyone who'se played FF games, the combat menu should be both familiar and satisfying). When sitting at a computer, though, it all feels a bit funny.

Movement is handled through your number pad, which acts like a control stick. Mouse-over targetting is difficult, while mousing through menus often takes fatal amounts of time by a twitch gamer's standards (it took me a day or two as a White Mage to figure out how pointless it was trying to keep a party alive using my mouse). After a couple days, though, you'll find it's pretty intuitive, and use your mouth rarely, if ever.

Lionfire gets the impression that it's a "step back", but in a way, I wouldn't even call it that. Although Macros can be used to ape the primarily hotkey-powered interface of almost any MMOG to date (and to come- WoW looks like it's going to feature very similiar controls, as did Asheron's Call 2, Anarchy Online, and probably most games I've never played), the interface is essentially something completely new and built from the ground up. As I said, the whole thing resembles more closely the menus of a single-player Japanese console RPG than any MMOG I've ever played.

Now, you probably hear that and roll your eyes, but I'll tell you right now, even playing on a PC, it works 10 times better than EQ:OA ever did.

tuckerpb2
January 19th, 2004, 10:53 PM
You forgot the best part. the animation when you wip out you great axe.

lionfire
January 20th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I think of it as a step backward because if they used the same GUI as EQ then it wouldn't be progressing forward like they have. Keeping the menus like the console version of Final Fantasy is excellent. I love all of the small things with the system. Such as color coding items in a shop that you can use with Gold or coding ones you already own with Green so that in your sleep deprived 'Bawls' induced state you won't accidentally buy the wrong gear. It also makes things easier in general. But that's just one aspect.. I mean there are hundreads of other things I find forward thinking compared to the EQ GUI. Of course it does end up becoming personal preference but I just tend to lead tward things I feel are improved and better in my mind.

Velenka
January 20th, 2004, 04:54 AM
I've already said this in another thread, but I'll say it again.... I hated the UI in FFXI at first, but after I got used to it, it was fine. Just think of it as all the other user interfaces in the console versions of FF games. As soon as I looked at it that way and didn't try to manipulate play like I did in EQ, it became that much easier and more intuitive.

I've redone my keyboard setting in EQ, to the best of my ability, to reflect the keyboard setting I have for FFXI.

.... *bursts into tears* I miss FFXI so much! *sobs* only 3 more months...

lionfire
January 20th, 2004, 08:37 PM
.... *bursts into tears* I miss FFXI so much! *sobs* only 3 more months...

/comfort

Arishia
January 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I like how the spells are set up, it's so nice to have access to every spell in my book as opposed to 8 specific ones in the spell bar. It takes some getting used to, but it's nice that I never have to sit to change out one of my spells. ^_^

If you have a ps2, but play the computer version, there's an adapter that's about 9 bucks that lets you hook your controller to the computer, and it works great =) And I will say, playing FFXI with a PS2 controller is so much easier than the keyboard.

It's not necessarily a better setup than EQ, it's just different. Having gotten use to it though, I really like FFXI's controller interface (The keyboard one still needs a ton of work though).

Lastly, If you play in first person and hate that locking on to a mob might make you look way up or down... you can just disable autolock =) I ended up having to do that myself. I just lock onto the mob when I want to now.