PDA

View Full Version : Penny-Arcade Childs play toy drive update!

DarkWyndre
December 2nd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Hi guys,

Penny Arcade has put up some pictures from the first of what is to be many batches of toys delivered. I must say that I'm in total shock at the result of their efforts. Someone once said "give me a stick long enough and an anchor and I'll move the world" (or something like that, hehe). Penny Arcade found a really freaking long stick.

Without further adieu, Linkage (http://www.penny-arcade.com/childsplay/index.htm).

Enjoy.

Regards,
DarkWyndre

*edit - yeah, Aracdae is the way you spell it, honest*

Beatroot The Druid
December 2nd, 2003, 09:59 AM
That seems like a very worth while cause.. I hope they do well with that.. The kids are gonna be happy.. And that would be the general point there..

Props go out to Pennyarcade for that effort.. All the way..

Lets help em out all!!

Naelaen
December 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
It's a worthy cause, even if it's from a rival comic and it warms the heart to see gamers giving presents to kids. Really captures the spirit of Christmas imo :)

KiTA
December 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Bleh. When I linked this in the old forum, it got *no* replies. New one gets 4 in an hour. ^^;

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM
This was a link that was approved on the old forums, so I'm glad to see it back here.

And, I don't consider Penny Arcade a competing comic; because, I'm not even in the same league with those guys. Comics shouldn't be considered "competition" anyway. They're all different and people should enjoy them individually without measuring them against each other.

And, this toy drive they're doing is excellent! I wish GU had the muster to do similar things. We're just... a small fraction of the size of PA though. Maybe in the future. **nods**

Edit: I removed other aspects of this thread to prevent any distraction from the main point, which is to charitably contribute toys for Hospitalized Children.

DarkWyndre
December 2nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Woody,

I think your art is just as good as theirs... they just kind of beat everyone to the punch of making money at this buisness. They proved the whole "Reader support" model to actually work, at a time when everyone thought they were crazy for even trying. If you wanted to, I would hazard a guess that you could do just as well.

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 12:43 PM
Quality of artwork wasn't my point. I was referring to the number of readers really.

Anywho, back to the topic:

You can see some of the pictures of all the toys and packages that have arrived thus far.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/childsplay/index.htm

Apparently the post office had to make special delivery plans as there were just TOO many packages!

Gikk
December 3rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Well, I typed this whole thing and then hit reset, so I hope I remeber all of it...

I think it's great what PA is doing - especially because they have things for everyone's price ranges. Can't afford a PS2? You can get batteries, books, and instant cameras for under 6 dollars.

Also, if you can't donate though Amazon, or if you want to do something for your own community, you can go to Toys R Us or even the dollar store to buy an inexpensive toy to donate for Toys for Tots or your local police/firestation (call frist to see where you should take it). It makes little boy and girl's Christmases brighter, even if the toy is very inexpensive.

Velenka
December 3rd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Done and done :)

DarkWyndre
December 6th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Oh... My... God!!

Check out the TWENTY something pictures of stuff they have up now. They're filling an entire freaking warehouse. Also, not trying to whore out PA or anything but check out todays News (http://www.penny-arcade.com) at the penny-arcade news site. There is a news post by gabe 2nd or 3rd down with one of the BEST quotes I've ever seen.

Enjoy,

Velenka
December 6th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Michael Thomas, the PA reader who helped us add up all the toys purchased as of late last night also had this very nice quote at the end of his message to us:

Now I understand what all of the anti-videogame people ment when they said children raised on games would grow up abnormal. They were right, we'd all grow up with really big hearts.

Is this the quote you mean, dark? :) Yeah.. absolutely AMAZING how many toys/money/items this drive has accumulated for the kids at Seattle Children's Hospital.

Ciarin
December 6th, 2003, 03:27 AM
I can't donate any money to their cause, but I can pass the word along.

It's cool what they're doing.

Woody
December 6th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I wish GU were big enough to accomplish something like that.

Ciarin
December 6th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Maybe you will be someday.

I don't know how big you have to be though. I think you're pretty big. But I don't don't really know much.

Woody
December 6th, 2003, 04:31 AM
According the Gorilla Nation Media, Penny Arcade see in excess of 2.5 million unique visitors per month and over 25 million page views. And is ranked in the top 2,000 (1,901) websites on the net by Alexa.

GU sees around 21 thousand unique visitors per month, a bit over 5 million page views, and is ranked in the top 30,000 (29,766) websites.

GU will NEVER be as large as Penny Arcade, heck, it's only a fraction of the size of PVP, Real Life, MacHall... **shrugs**

I don't want or need it to be any larger though. I like it where it's at. Maybe a touch larger.

Kaylen
December 6th, 2003, 05:06 AM
I'm just glad the forum community isn't so huge that reading every new post is impossible. Another reason why I'd just describe this forum as "perfect." There are plenty of new posts, without being swamped by them.

And, yeah.. Penny Arcade is pretty big. Like it or hate it, if you game and don't know about it, you've been living under some kind of rock. And there's a lot of gamers out there. It's even been posted on news filters like Fark.com, which would bring in people who may not even know what it is. It's a good thing, and I hope it gets some fraction of publicity and people stop focusing on the twisted minds that play Grand Theft Auto and then go shoot people. Which is, while less important than helping the kids, their goal.

I was looking to spend a small amount, but then saw they had the "Return of the King" game up there.. and, well, everyone deserves a nice copy of that.