PDA

View Full Version : Gates of Discord - The EQ GoD complex

Mordican
January 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM
I think the whole naming of the expansion is a superiority complex for the Devs/Marketing people at SoE... But thats just me. I say Gates of Discord should just be referred to as GD... Or something... take your pick :)

Woody
January 13th, 2004, 11:42 PM
I think some people post just to see their own text and to hear their own voice it in their heads.

Tear
January 14th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I have a lovely bunch of coconuts deedly doo..

*starts rockin out* There they are all standing in a rowwww!!!

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I agree with Mordican, i am just going to refer to it as discord. I mean we don't say RoK or SoV, its the kunark or velious expansion.

Kat
January 14th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I don't fault EQ for this one.

But I do think it was by design when Gathering Of Developers named themselves that. They called themselves by that name. GOD Games.

Naelaen
January 14th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Whilst I think Mordican is just being silly I do agree with Satarus in that in the end, players will probably call it the Discord expansion. However Planes of Power, Lost Dungeons of Norrath and occasionally Legacy of Ykesha are referred to by their acronym so, let the players decide :mrgreen:

KiTA
January 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Whilst I think Mordican is just being silly I do agree with Satarus in that in the end, players will probably call it the Discord expansion. However Planes of Power, Lost Dungeons of Norrath and occasionally Legacy of Ykesha are referred to by their acronym so, let the players decide :mrgreen:

Depends on how hard / buggy / annoying it is. Then maybe they'll call it the "God!@#$it" expansion. :) *Ducks, hides*

Serresrelic
January 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
RoK we usually call Kunark.
SoV we usually call Velious.
SoL we usually call Luclin.
PoP we usually call PoP.
LoY we usually call LoY.
LDoN we usually call LDoN.

How we refer to expansions is split 50-50. I don't see any reason why calling it one way is better than calling it another.

It's just a fricken expansion. who cares. If I refer to the expansion as Discord, people will know what I'm talking about, if I refer to it as GoD people will know what I'm talking about. Call it whatever the hell you want.

I gotta agree with Woody on this one. This seems like a really pointless topic.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 14th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Hmm. We started out referring to the expansions by the last word in their name. But all the last few have been referred to (normally) by the acronym.

Maybe we're just getting lazy :D

Raven00x
January 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM
there's also that Kunark refers to the Ruins of Kunark expansion, which is also a continent, ditto for Velious and luclin.

planes of power doesn't roll of the tounge nearly as easily as kunark or velious, and has a short and memorable acronym
/em has a sudden strange urge for popcorn...

Legacy of Ykesha is kinda...bleh. Lackluster name, Ykesha itself has some issues (y-kee-sha? ee-kee-sha? Yuh-kee-sha?) with flow and other similar things. They probably could've done just as well by naming the expansion "Damn trolls in my city!"* but LoY works just as well.

Lost dungeons of Norrath though, is totally understandable as an acronym. gained an extra word, and the whole thing is just long. typing in casual chat, "Hey dude, let's go do some Lost Dungeons of Norrath adventures!" is just so much less preferable than "Hey dude, let's go do some some LDoN!"

Finally, we come to Gates of Discord. Other than having the misfortune of its acronym being the name for the diety of some popular religions, the name of the expansion works rather well. Descriptive and flows (and espescially nice - no pronunciation worries). I definately see the standard reference to it as being Discord, out of respect for religious and societal comfort issues.

well, that's my take on the naming thing.

*I am a proponent of Kick Fribbits out of Grobb, not because i hate frogs, but because neriak smells funny now, and has become decidely more flammible since the trolls moved in.

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I still think SoL was a good acronymn for that expansion. Bugs galore, crappy timesinks, boring encounters, and half finished content.

Coffee
January 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM
But Satarus, the Vah Shir!!
We're only the coolest droogs in the game ya know.

Tenolein
January 14th, 2004, 03:18 PM
RoK we usually call Kunark.
SoV we usually call Velious.
SoL we usually call Luclin.
PoP we usually call PoP.
LoY we usually call LoY.
LDoN we usually call LDoN.

How we refer to expansions is split 50-50. I don't see any reason why calling it one way is better than calling it another.

It's just a fricken expansion. who cares. If I refer to the expansion as Discord, people will know what I'm talking about, if I refer to it as GoD people will know what I'm talking about. Call it whatever the hell you want.

I gotta agree with Woody on this one. This seems like a really pointless topic.

Preach it to me brother! Amen.

Radical Edward
January 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I think whether we use Acronyms or not depends on whether or not its a new continent/planet.

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 03:31 PM
BAH! Guktan > Vah Shir

FROAK!

Raven00x
January 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
/agree satarus

FROAK POWA!

Tinlu
January 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I'm just posting here to keep this idiot and pointless topic alive... please... continue.

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
One thing i noticed is that whenever a new continent is added we refer to it as the continents name. Whats this ones name Tealosia? or something like that... way to hard im stickin with that new expansion with the glowy golem thingy.

Radical Edward
January 14th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Does anyone else think the discord golem's tattoos make him sorta look like tremor from Spawn?

Woody
January 14th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Most of the emails I've gotten about them tells me how "funny" it would be to turn them into a Tron joke.

**sighs and rolls his eyes**

Saethori
January 14th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I always think 'Tron' when I see that golem. But, I don't think it would make a good GU, personally.

I've noticed a striking tendancy for expansion names to have three words (only one exception so far), and have the word 'of' in the center (no exceptions so far)...

Sure, there may be a bit of a limitation on what works as an expansion title, but..

Radical Edward
January 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Now that you mention it the golem does look a bit Tron-ish.

Mordican
January 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Its Disney's Atlantis... Thats where they got the idea..

Disney ripped off Tron...

so...

I suppose EQ ripped off tron... you could do an evolution comic or something where it goes Tron Disney EQ then Tron2.0 (Or swap EQ and Tron2.0 since Tron2.0 came out first, but looks to have better tron like graphics because... well... its tron... 2.0... but if your talking game like graphics you have the original 4bit/8bit game... So Yeah... /rant off)

Tiladien
January 14th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Disney produced Tron, how could they rip themselves off?

Mordican
January 14th, 2004, 08:44 PM
The same way EQ is taking the raid and group leader EXP sysmte from Planeteside into EQ?

Iiliani Seadream
January 15th, 2004, 04:12 AM
If I refer to the expansion as Discord, people will know what I'm talking about, if I refer to it as GoD people will know what I'm talking about.

If somebody started talking to me about Discord at the moment, I would automatically assume they were talking about that new hard core server that opened. After all, I think the server was named for the expansion?

But that server is now closed, so a tendency to think of it when Discord is mentioned will probably die out in time.

I have so far been referring to the Gates of Discord expansion in my head as Gee O Dee, and will continue to do so unless a different use becomes widespread in EQ after release and it becomes more natural to me to say it the way the majority do.

Side note, Ykesha has always been Yuh-Kesh-A to me

Naelaen
January 15th, 2004, 05:56 AM
The same way EQ is taking the raid and group leader EXP sysmte from Planeteside into EQ?

GoD help us if group leaders get orbital strikes.

Sorry, couldn't help it :mrgreen:

Mordican
January 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM
I believe an Orbital Strike isa group of 5 Wizzards and a bard that all cast Shock of Mage and crit all at the same time...

Shock of Magic can hit over 8k on a crit, team with a bard and its serious damage. Thats 40k damage from 5 people in about a 10 seconds time period theoretically...

So theres your orbital strike :)

Naelaen
January 15th, 2004, 07:42 AM
I suppose :)

Coffee
January 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM
/agree satarus

FROAK POWA!

You say that now, but just remember why Neriak's foreign quarter smells the way it does and why the Trolls are there.