PDA

View Full Version : EQ Quests - Risk Versus Reward & Time Involved

Cerran
January 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I was thinking about the EQ quests that are around lately and wanted to pose the questions to other people. Has anyone noticed how EQ quests have become one of two things? It seems nowdys most are either:

A: Massive tradeskill timesinks that require camping hours and hours for components.

B: Long drawn out *boring* quests with little lore that require a high level guild to complete.

What I want to know is, whatever happened to the quests from the mid levels that you could spend a few days total or a couple weeks with exp groups and get most of what you needed to do a quest? It seems SoE is so bent on having good gear be attainable mostly from raiding only that they have lost sight of the questing aspect of the game. Whatever happened to multi - treed quests where you could following completly different paths and get a different reward. It just seems a shame that EQ Devs seem to have lost sight that quests are a viable option for making the game fun AND rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I am in a raiding guild but I miss the days working on things like mid level class specific armor (even though the quests were a bit too much camping sometimes). I'd like to see the questing aspect re-introduced in a big way at some point. I love the coldain shawl and ring quests, although I think it could have been done without so much tradeskilling required.

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Pretty much the only quest i enjoyed was the draconic instrument quest, but I had to get the spoiler to do it. The quest info for the horn was just too vague. The drum and lute ones aren't soo bad. The quest does require a little tradeskill, but nothing more than 75-100ish which is easy enough to get in any tradeskill.

Naelaen
January 14th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I think it's because that's the only way they can make them challenging to the average EQ player without making them impossible for the below average and too easy for the above average.

I'd like to see more quests, but I can't see many being included en masse without them being vastly similar to each other.

I suppose technically, LDoN adventures are quests.

Billybobtheranger
January 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM
I enjoy alot of the Velious Quests.....The Ice shakle bracer thingy quest is really easy and nice story..

The Eye Patch of plunder is Really nice..and Not too bad on difficulty either..and its a freakin Spell cast haste for 20% for the face slot.

Also enjoyed the Warden Symbol of Tunare quest for druids and Clerics of tunare..

Its not hard at all..except maybe the last camp you have to do which is a lvl 30 mob that is hard to spawn...other than that its collect run and then bam you have your own free cast Grasping roots necklace.

Raxtull
January 14th, 2004, 10:47 AM
You'd think that in a game called EverQuest that more emphasis would be placed on the questing portion. The reality is that the quests are entirely unnecessary, as the rewards for the quests are quickly outdated. You can easily go through the game without doing a single quest, and there are plenty of people who do.

Then, of course, whenever the issue of equipment comes up, the hardcore raiders come out of the woodworks and throw a fit. They believe that unless you want to spend 10 hours a day raiding, you're not allowed to have anything nice. Hence all the whining they did over the LDoN gear that could be built after a few hundred successful missions in the right places.

The truth is that EQ will always be divided between the raiders and the casual players, and there's nothing SOE can do to make both happy. While it would have been nice to have had small one group do-able quests with decent rewards, there just wasn't any motivation for SOE to make them. The tradeskill heavy quests like Aid Grimel and the Coldain Shawls were great for tradeskillers and terrible for those who don't, but they did have nice rewards.

John Dyne
January 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I'd like another Ring War-esque quest geared towards the lower levels. Something with a moderate reward at the end, like a decent piece of equipment for a level 15. The Ring War was fun for me when I was in it.. waves of giants in front, waves of dwarves behind.. it just seemed epic. I wouldn't mind, if there's ever epic quest upgrades, that the tank ones involve a ground war.

Cerran
January 14th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Well I think one of the biggest gripes I always had had with quests has just been like you mentioned that SOE provides no use for the item once it has been outdated. After spending hours on the quest, It would be nice to see later expansions make extensions on the quests so your old item can be upgraded or replaced with a newer better item through questing.

I'd love to see my symbol of tunarian worship from PoG (which is now perma banked) have a new quest that continued with PoP or another expansion. It just seems that they are more interested in putting out mob encounters than actually generating thoughtful content. Don't get me wrong I like raid encounters, but there needs to be more to the game especially when you're not raiding. I want something to break up the exp grind with a reason to go do a dungeon crawl other than exp or loot I can sell. I want to feel as immersed in the game as when I was doing my screaming mace quest in crushbone at level 12.

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah i remember doing some of the skyshrine faction quests till i finnaly got my bracer of hammerfall. I rarely use it because i now have range and ammo slot stuff i use, and I can't hit a majority of stuff because they are non magic throwing hammers. But i want to see more bracer of hammerfallesque quests where you have a simple straight forward quest that gives a decent item. The stats on the bracer are kind of laughable, but it has a usefull effect on it.

Cerran
January 14th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I guess I'm just requesting/hoping that someone at SoE will stop counting their money long enough to see that they could put a lot more fun back into the game with a little more lore and linking some old quests to new ones. *crosses fingers*

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Epic 2.0 was such a great idea. The bard one could have me try and build forpar a better lute. I would have to get shissar guts for strings, and then kill high level dragons for the new scales. This is just an idea, but it could be similar. The cleric one could involve a quest out of plane of water and the mage can involve getting drops from all 4 elemental planes.

Binaman
January 14th, 2004, 04:14 PM
lol making the mage one yet again the hardest one there is with a drop from all 4 elementals IMO epic 2.0 should be all tier 2 maxed to get otherwise it only caters to Said_Uber_Guild_01
But yea Epic 2.0 would be cool. Or a upgrade to n00b armor or so on just some incentive to do the lower levels ones... add more story behind it ect ect ect

Cerran
January 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Heh Don't get me started on the Mage epic. I've been trying to get a quillmane cloak off and on for 2+ years. *shakes fist at the EQ drop table gods* So far 11 legs and counting.

Satarus
January 14th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah I tried to help a mage friend qullmane. I ran around killing everything in one dot and desperatly trying to track him. I feel sorry for you mages.

Mordican
January 14th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Heh Don't get me started on the Mage epic. I've been trying to get a quillmane cloak off and on for 2+ years. *shakes fist at the EQ drop table gods* So far 11 legs and counting.

Keep at it :) Its worth it. I'm about as good as you can be pre PoTime loot wise and I still use my epic. If you have to try and MQ the cloak if you have the plat... I used the 61 air pet and farmed Jade Reavers in CoM and used the cash to buy the cloak.

Mordican
January 14th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah I tried to help a mage friend qullmane. I ran around killing everything in one dot and desperatly trying to track him. I feel sorry for you mages.

Quilmain cloak... Sucks

PoHate Earth Staff... Sucks

PoSky 7th Isle... Sucks

Power of Fire... Sucks

Phinny Water Staff... Sucks, but not as bad.... (One guy has 37 and counting)

Basically the mage epic is 95% soloable with the 61 air pet, however the massive time sync involved still makes it a complete pain, but very worth the effort IMO

7th Isle of Sky can be done with 2 people, but getting to the 7th isle and planting a necro or something is a pain. Fortunatly the crown is dropable so you can buy it.

Quilmain... Just takes time and patience. Best thing to do is get 5 Ranger/Druid friends and slaughter over and over again

PoHate Earth Staff... Rare loot on the Magi, uber rare on male reverants. Magi is about a 1 in 15 chance of spawning killing the PH and then your after his rare loot.

Power of Fire... Just a complete pain in the ass camp time wise on SolA.

Water Staff... Well its Kedge Keep. I actually enjoy that zone and can solo Phinny, but its best to do it with a group. Doesn't take very long at all.

Compare the Cleric Epic to Mage epic... 2 days

But... back in Kunark... any mage with the mage epic was basically King of the Mountain. Epic pet just kicked all forms of ass in most Kunark and Velious zones. With the new pet focus avail to all in LDoN it just gets better. (Epic'd before 60 = personal PL to 60) All the top mages in the game still use the epic. Its situational, but very very useful. Nothing and I mean nothing procs as much as the epic. My record is 10 procs in 6 seconds. 1 stun 7 procs and 2 weapons procs.

Basically the Mage Epic is a pain, but worth it. many mages consider it a display of class devotion.

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I think that they should have implemented new epics with POP. They could have like Zeboruuk or some high and mighty God sitting after you went through a bunch of trials. Then he would say something in the order of, " You have gone through the tests of time, in reverence to your accomplishment i will send you to the far corners of Norrath in search of items of a great and lost power." Then there would be an integral part of the future of norrath implanted in each of the quests. Peice it all together and you get the next expansion. Its a bit too late for this idea but they could somehow do it with Discord but like have the references be to Eq2 and the events between the 2 everquests.

Iiliani Seadream
January 15th, 2004, 03:29 AM
The Eye Patch of plunder is Really nice..and Not too bad on difficulty either..and its a freakin Spell cast haste for 20% for the face slot.

You must have gotten lucky on the Stormfeather camp part to call that quest anything other than a pain.
The reward is nice, but after helping a friend camp SF, (and I wasn't with him all the time, he was there much more than I was with him), I can't face doing it again for any of my own toons.

Allegretta
January 15th, 2004, 04:27 AM
My group started out doing the Qeynos badge quests when we were in our level 40s, and within the last six months completed the latest badge in Jaggedpine. Without a doubt those were the most fun we have had as a group. Now we're helping guildmates and taking various alts through the steps.

Poofe 'n Evandril
January 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM
I loved the old class armors that were for the 30-45 croud, Lambent and the like :) Not terribly difficult, but hard enough to give you a feeling of accomplishment.

As far as Epics go...Why did they make the ONE class that can worship Lady Veeshan on blue servers have to nothing but kill Dragons for their epic? (Other than the race at the start) I wish they'd make a verson that had you killing something else, or heck, HELPING Dragons...Make it harder, that's fine, but give us the option! ;)

Naelaen
January 15th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Just pretend they're spies or something :mrgreen:

Malnar
January 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Basically the Mage Epic is a pain, but worth it. many mages consider it a display of class devotion.

Basically the Mage Epic is ridiculous. An ultra rare spawn like Quillmane should drop the cloak every time. Or if Sony wanted to keep it tedious, have Quill spawn more often, but have various drops. I have had a ranger in SK every morning for a month, and have not seen Quill once. If the rest of the quest is like this, devotion is not the term I would use. This is one of the many reasons I am looking forward to the release of WoW.

Pike Tha Blodd
January 15th, 2004, 11:18 AM
epic 2.0 was a fine idea, not only that but some of the funnest quests i have done were the newbie armor quests, those things were just a blast to me, maybe have an upgrade piece by piece through the mid levels, kinda like the monk headband/sash quests

Foehammer
January 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Some of the quests in EQ were okay. I REALLY enjoyed the Soulfire quest back in the day before epics. But most quests in EQ, even to this day, require you to use bizzare tactics to defeat the "boss" mobs.

Like at the end of the Soulfire quest when you need to kill Lucian. We had a nerco pet pull him while we zoned to EC to avoid the gate guards that were tougher than him. Then we had a non-aggro PC hail Lucan so he wouldn't go back to his post, but FIRST you had to kill all the rats, bats, wolves, etc in the area so the gate guards would return to their posts.

Well, that didn't work so in the end we had to quickly kill Lucan and his undead form, then zone before the guards gave us the beatdown. Still, despite that I did enjoy the storyline, and the progress made from start to finish. Sort of how the DAoC armor epics are, but with a better story.

Oh well. Maybe quests will actually be more important and better designed in EQ2, WoW, etc.

Landsknecht
January 15th, 2004, 07:37 PM
The thing with quests though is that you need to be careful about how many there are... Asherons Call 2 had a ton of quests. And they were pretty cool. And gave xp and decent loot. But they were laid out in a way that made the game feel like you were playing a single player game that happened to have other folks in it. Took a lot of the fun out of the game. Made it feel like you HAD to do the quests. In this particular order at this point of progression.

Cerran
January 16th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I've been doing a lot of thinking about different quests, and one thing I would like to see is race & class specific quests that start at lower levels and continue as you go up. Of course current players would have to have a way to start since they are no longer low level. The rewards should also scale up with your level and actually have well thought out stats. Maybe an item with a cool effect that isn't on any other item or isn't a spell.

Now that augments are available how about a good augment that only fits in a weapon? Or make a new slot type and have the augment fit only in epics? Hell I spent 2 days thinking and I've come up with some decent ideas. SoE should be able to do the same, the question is would they actually be willing to? I'd love an augment that added to my cleric's epic and gave it a better damage/delay ratio + stats. Or maybe made it proc a high level undead DD spell.

Oh and as you progressed, the quests should require more help from others to work on different stages. They should also reward the other people there for helping like the Coldain Ring War and Shawl.

Rade
January 16th, 2004, 11:52 AM
it'd be hard to give items good stats that come from quests because then that'd make the hardcore raids not have to raid to get good items = \ but look at ornate armor there is a semi quest to that, and anyone who says there should be an epic 2.0 quest with drops from the elementals should be shot, the binden quest (gate neck) is hard to get essences and trying to fight casters of them ARGH

laertise
January 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks Raid i'm halfway done with stage 2 to that neck quest and was hoping it may be a little easier in the elemental planes. This is such a horridly hard quest even starting with the PoI drop on the lvl 1 stage is hard to get.

Laertise

Rade
January 18th, 2004, 02:10 AM
the air drop is common about 2 per raid but well, thats the only time anyone goes to that horrid zone

Duffy Happypants
January 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM
i wish that EQ made quests like EQOA

those quests are rewarding, fun, and have a great storyline.

For my cleric's lvl 20 quest i had to steal an orb from a goblin stronghold, find a lost scroll from some orc camps and get a reagent to destroy it (golden aviak feather) then i had to travel to the top of a mountain and throw it into the lava.

i dont think ive ever had as much fun in an MMOG as when i was doing that quest