PDA

View Full Version : Voices in MMOGs

Dragonel
January 15th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Okay, we *all* here voices while playing our MMOGs when we don't take our meds. But if we started hearing them even when the antipsychotics are working?

One of my favorite websites, Gamegirl Advance (http://www.gamegirladvance.com) featured an article (http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archives/2003/07/28/not_yet_you_fools.html) last fall which dealt with a growing trend in videogames. Voices. They're here to stay.

Most X-Box games have them. Many PS2 games have them. A lot of FPS games use them (I understand Planetside has them as an integral feature). Even games that don't have them can be tricked into having them with programs like Ventrilo (http://www.ventrilo.com/), which my Jedi Knight II clan uses.

So, now that you've had a chance to digest this thought, and realized that you won't be able to play a female character to get stuff anymore, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Radical Edward
January 15th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I'm confused are you talking about Mic support or abient voices in the background?

Reis Tahlen
January 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM
"But I AM a girl, mister, I just smoke too much. Now, how about giving me this epic item and all these plats? You know you've a wonderful moustache? And those muscles!..."

Voice problem resolved. :lol:

FuzzyBear
January 15th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Secondhand story here, but it's at least very close. It's been over a year since she told me about it :)

A friend of mine was playing one of those Xbox shooter over the internet games, and some guy fragged her in a cheap fashion, and she hadn't said anything yet, she ended up saying, well, that was cheap. He said "all's fair in war" or some such thing, she spun around and fragged him about 4 or 5 times in a row, with style, and when he started whining, she parrotted his quote, and got lines like "have your balls dropped yet? you sound like a girl"

"I *AM* a girl"

Boy was he quiet after that 8)

32 year old manager of a gaming outlet. She loves those microphones :)

Ciarin
January 15th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Alls you need is a soundboard of a girl's voice.

I don't have that problem, however...

/giggle

Reis Tahlen
January 15th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Alls you need is a soundboard of a girl's voice.

I don't have that problem, however...

/giggle

Great idea.

**Try to persuade his lovely girlfriend to tell some useful game sentences on the tape recorder on an erotic fashion**

Naelaen
January 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM
A/S/L

You could always pretend you're a mime, but that of course wouldn't hold any water :mrgreen:

Poofe 'n Evandril
January 15th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Unless, of course, you're playing Horizons... ;)

Satarus
January 15th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Many of the officers of my old guild used game voice for raids and such.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM
A few months ago in SWG, we invited this cute little fem doctor into our guild named Simone. All the guys in our guild were hitting on her, one of them even had suggestive screenshots posted on the guild board. Then someone gets the idea to have everyone use Teamspeak so that we could all talk to one another. A couple days after we get it started up, I hear a new person comes into the channel (it announces it everytime a new person joins), and this really deep voice says Hello. So I asked who it was, and he says "This is Simone"

Haha it was dead quiet in there for a few minutes cause almost no one knew that Simone was a guy IRL. And the subject of the suggestive screenshots was/is horribly mortified.

Nymph
January 15th, 2004, 02:12 PM
LMAO!!!!

Raven00x
January 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
i remember that. good times, good times.

Wolf
January 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
HAHA. Oh well no more free stuff to me, i can do a little kid voice so that might help :-D. Guys used to hit on me all the time when i was a female char but after getting a few items i told them and they stopped following me. I have a 8 year old sister, maybe some stupid guys will think her voice is older so i can use her to get me things, yay

Talloak
January 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM
It has been many moons since I posted here.

Seeing how I have an hour before my systems analysis class, I figure I might as well post on this thread, as it has turned into the age-old debate that I too am a part of.

The good ol' argument of MMORPG gender-bending rears its ugly head once again. My take on it is quite simple.

As a semi-retired EQplayer, and current player of Neverwinter Nights and the Hordes of the Underdark, I've been around the online gaming community and have seen it all.

When I started it, I was single, and naive. Now however, after a few years of gaming online under my belt, and having learned some lessons, and gotten a real woman in my life, my take is, as I said, simple.

I play both sexes in these types of games. Male, to reflect the real me, and female, to take advantage of the male psyche.

Males will always see females as lovely, weaker, and sexy. As such, even if they claim otherwise, they wont always believe can think as well as, or even outsmart a male. We all know logically this isnt true, that females are almost every bit as equal as males, but the instinct is still there.

When I play females, I am always treated with more respect, given things, and assisted in my tasks more frequently. Now why would I pass on that if it's offered? And no, I never ask for that treatment.

Now I know what you're thinking. A greater percentage of online gamers are teenagers, mostly male, all of whom have raging hormones.

Yes, I've been propositioned in game, as these kids never take into account that the players NEVER look like their characters, regardless of gender.

My answer to such advances is simply as such:

a/s/l

to which I answer 'older than you/what does it matter/none of your business'.

If they prod more, I say 'if i say 'male' you'll think me a weirdo, and if i say female, you'll hit on me, and call me a le***** if i am not receptive to you.'

If they REALLY persist, I simply say that I am a le*****...

Yep, I am TOTALLY into women. No interest in men at all.

Now, in all that, when you think about it, am I lying?

It's a game. I'm there to play a game. If I wanted to read perverse text messaging, I'd go to a chatroom somewhere else.

'nuff said.

Cheers

Dark Tyger
January 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I play female characters all the time. I don't do it to mislead people, to get free gear, or any of that crap. I do it because I'm a roleplayer at heart. Most people here who've payed any attention to me should know that by now. ;) Even when I'm not actually roleplaying, I'm semi-roleplaying. I'll "wear the female face" in-game, so to speak, but if anyone asks, I'm a guy. If anyone starts hitting on me, "Hey, I'm a guy". You know the drill.

People who'll drool over anything with breasts in a game are fools. ( But guys playing girls that knowingly LET people drool over them are even worse. ) Hey, this can be compared to real life. If you walk into the bar and hit on every single woman you see as blatantly as people do it in-game, you're going to get slapped a LOT. Heck, you'll be amazingly lucky if slaps are the worst you get and you don't end up leaving in an ambulance. Just because it's online doesn't mean it's okay to act like a pig. React to women in-game as you would to seeing them IRL.

This is beyond just the so-called "risk" of the girl being a guy. It's about manners. I know girls who only play male characters because they get sick of being outright sexually harassed by guys in-game. It's like people log on and suddenly lose all common sense...

So... I roleplay. I roleplay men and women. I'm told I do both very well. When I tell new RPers in-game that I'm really a guy after RPing with them as one of my females for a bit, they tend to be surprised. In all honesty, saying that it's wrong for a guy to RP a woman is no less ignorant than saying it's wrong for a male author to write about a female character. Roleplaying is essentially the same, creating a story from your character's perspective.

Yes, I take it VERY personally when I hear some homphobic remark about "manginas". I'm not gay, I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, I'm trying to play the damn MMO****RPG****.

Pike Tha Blodd
January 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM
oh man, i remember the first time i ever heard a voice in a video game from another live person, i was playing CS and some kid would not shut up, he just kept cursing and yelling and crap, but he sounded like he was 5 years old, totally creeped me out....

YuriPup
January 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I am sure as voice connect becomes more common, that both the games and 3rd party software will allow you to genderbend the voice too.

I am another guy who, in EQ at least, exclusively plays female characters. I do it for a couple of reasons.

First being that I like being in the minority--so since most of the characters are male, I made a female (male barb wars are a dime a dozen, female barb wars are rare as hen's teeth).

The second I, personally, enjoy slapping down the obnoxious guys who are constantly hitting on women.

And my latest favorate character is Blacki Pea the female, gnome, SK.

Dragonel
January 15th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Hrm... I think my gender-bending comment shifted the subject a little bit, but, oh well.

I'm actually mistaken for a guy with some frequency (not as much in MMOGs, where I usually play female characters, but *all* the time in Jedi Knight II, where my Night Elf skin looks like Kyle to most people, or where they just assume I'm a guy using a Jan skin). I've actually grown to like it a bit.

The flipside, I've found, to female characters getting more free stuff and having an easier time finding help, is that male characters have an easier time leading a party, getting people motivated, and organizing guilds... I'd kind of miss having that, I think. And of course, the hassle female players would recieve when we become a verfiable minority... How many times have those of you who play female toons, regardless of your gender, been asked "Are you really a girl?"

But, I don't know, I guess what I was getting at with this thread was, do you feel like real voices in MMOGs will destroy some of the escapist elements? Certainly, 90% of most games is OOC anyways, and even we role players are only "on" maybe half the time, but having people hear our real, natural voices, and hearing those of our guildmates and party members... It seems to me that it takes some of the fantasy out of, well, being a fantasy hero...

Naelaen
January 16th, 2004, 06:13 AM
I have some female characters, and the only reason (apart from human chainmail :mrgreen:) is that they fit the class better. I just see enchanters and clerics, for example, having a more feminine side to them. Obviously they're exactly the same as their male counter-parts but I suppose it's just those roleplaying tendancies.

I'm sure female characters play as males, which would equally be as wierd on voice comms. It would be interesting if a game introduced a built in sound modifier, so if you were male you could get your voice to sound female if playing a female character and visa versa. I suppose this could be abused, but at the end of the day it's better for the roleplaying and everybody should be reminded that what were are in games, isn't who we are in reality :)

As for the voice comms thing itself, Tribes 2 got the idea first (that I remember), which valve later copied for Half-life. The idea of having in game voice available to everybody who wanted it. Planetside failed at this as it required a player to host the voice chat, which is understandable since having a voice chat server for hundreds of people was never going to happen, but in the end nobody could spare the bandwidth. My outfit used Ventrilo quite successfully, but it was often difficult to know who was talking to you.

Celdryn
January 16th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Im with Dark Tyger here.

I always seem to have one female character on my account.

I play females when the RP warrants it, like my warrior's daughter coming into her own, or creating the priestess that I wrote into one of my stories.

I will admit, too, that whenever I create a High Elf or a half-elf i create a female. I cannot stand the male half-elf and high-elf models.

Sexiness has nothing to do with it, I just cant stand the overall look of the male models for those races.

My barbarian warrior is male
My Wood Elf ranger? Male
My human paladin is female (The barbarian warrior's daughter)
High Elf wizard is also a female.

You get the idea..

Naelaen
January 16th, 2004, 05:24 PM
My human paladin is female (The barbarian warrior's daughter)

Hmmm forbidden fruit :)