PDA

View Full Version : Just found out Fannie May Candies is closing its doors. :(

Isador Marilith
January 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM
This is a sad day in deed. I just can't believe that one of the best candy shops in the nation is closing down. We use to get Fannie May Candies in our stockings for Christmas. The mint meltaways were one of my Grandfathers favorites, and so, also one of mine. /sniff.

This is just an ebb in the change of the world, but still. It hurts a little.

http://www.fanniemay.com/

:cry:

Raven00x
January 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM
hm...looks to me like they're only undergoing a change of ownership; nothing being closed permanant-like.

though, the trick, i s'pose, will be to see if the candy remains true to the Fanne Mae candies tradition after the new management takes over...

Isador Marilith
January 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM
That's the thing. The packaging, process in which the candy is made... the whole 9 yards is going to some other company. It's the end of an era through my eyes.

I guess it would be like letting Ford make a Dodge Ram.

Enchanter
January 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Isador what is that in your avatar? Is it an acid? I am trying to remember what that is.... =\

Darley Marilith
January 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Its a caffine molecule. He's a junkie. I can say this with absolute authority.

Enchanter
January 15th, 2004, 05:49 PM
huh who would have though carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen would made caffine?

togashi
January 15th, 2004, 09:47 PM
it's all in how it's put together...I've heard that if you can get one of the carbon bonds in ephedra to switch configurations, you'd get speed.

Frodric
January 16th, 2004, 04:01 AM
That's the reason for two increasingly common trends in the US

1) The use of "herbal" diet pills in home cooking meth

2) The exploding home cooking meth tech

It can be done, it's just not that safe to try.

Isador Marilith
January 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Enchanter, Yes that is a Caffeine molecule.

There is some sick twisted comfort between caffeine, nicotine and computers.

/shrug

it must be a geek thing.

Cantatus
January 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'm fearful of any changes they could make.

Fannie May is one of those things I hold with special regard in my life. My parents were both raised in Chicago and my mom absolutely loves Fannie May candy. When we moved from Chicago, she could no longer get it. So, whenever we went to visit relatives in Chicago, it was always ended with a trip to Fannie May for us to pick out what we wanted. After we moved further from Chicago and weren't able to visit as often, my mom's sister started sending us a couple boxes for Christmas every year. I guess it's just one of those things I've come to associate with vacations and Christmas.

I think my mom would go on a rampage if they changed the candy. ;)

ancarett
January 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM
My mom grew up in Chicago and it was a yearly treat, when I was young, to have a box of Fannie Mays. Gosh, I'm worried that whoever buys them out won't be able to keep up the same standards.