PDA

View Full Version : Unusually Stupid Americans

Mordican
January 17th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Well I was browsing around Barnes and Noble tonight and came across this book. Basically its about some of the dumbest things you have ever heard. It just makes you shake your head sometimes. Great bathroom/coffee table type book IMO

Here are a few examples:

Student Sues School over A+ grade - Student X worked for his mom's law firm as a paralegal as part of a job shadowing program. She gave her son an A+ but the school would only accept an A as the highest grade. Natrually the mother and child sued the school over the A instead of the A+... They also claimed $25,000 in personal damages

Worst Ad Campaign Ever - From Pacific Airlines - "Hey There! You with the sweat on your palms. Its about time an airline faced up to something. Most people are Scared sitless of flying. Deep down inside, every time that big plane lifts off that runway, you wonder if this is it, right? You want to know something fella? So does the pilot.

Dennis Kozlowski, CEO, Tyco - Here is a list of a few of the things he used company money to buy for his personal office:
pincushon - $445
wasterpaper basket - $2900
umbrella stand - $15,000
Perhaps the largets account of corporate abuse was a 3.1 billion dollar loan for John Rigas, CEO, Adelphia in which he bought the Buffalo Sabers hockey team, spent $13Million on a personal golf course, and almost $1Million dollars in country club fees.

The money section is truely remarkable. Makes you realize that Enron was but the tip of the iceburg.

A funny, interesting, and highly disturbing read. Defintaly worth the $10 bucks :)

Karimi
January 18th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Hahaha great book Mordican . That ad sucked.

Binaman
January 18th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Saw one today about a person that lives in the same state as me. he is suing the cable company for making his wife fat his kids lazy and one other thing that I can't remember

Wolf
January 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM
He will probably win too cause americans are idiots. No offence guys, im a pure american mutt also but some are just fat and stupid.

Binaman
January 18th, 2004, 09:55 PM
amen to that

Wolf
January 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM
And its not the cable companies fault, who works and pays for the cable, i bet its the Father and 20 bucks says he is fat too.

Binaman
January 18th, 2004, 10:01 PM
He claimed that he told the company to end his cable service and they got it for 4 mroe years... and that is where the problem started... ohh yea he is suing for either 5k buck or 3 computers and unlimted high speed interent

Wolf
January 18th, 2004, 10:25 PM
HAHAHA, so he is trying to make his couch potatoe kids into computer nerds? What a drastic change!

Binaman
January 18th, 2004, 10:51 PM
That is what I thought to lol

Serresrelic
January 18th, 2004, 11:49 PM
some are just fat and stupid.

Uhh, I'm trying to understand from your comments how being fat has anything to do with being stupid.

20 bucks says he is fat too

I'm also trying to figure out how saying the father is fat has anything to do with it?

I'm fat. Does that make me stupid? Does that mean I'm automatically going to let my kids be lazy and sit in front of the TV all day?

Velenka
January 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Gotta love blanket statements.

Karimi
January 19th, 2004, 03:24 AM
*sits in bed and wraps himself in the blanket*

Mmm ignorance. I hate how people take advantage of a system that is supposed to bring justice. Sueing should be to get even with who wronged you not to make more cash.

Ciarin
January 19th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Maybe the cable company puts subliminal messages in it's programs to make people watch tv all day and not go outside and exercise.

meh...

I don't think he meant fat = stupid, cause then he'd just be redundant. He probably meant fat as in "too lazy to do any exercise". If the guy were suing because his wife got fat and his kids got lazy, it'd seem he would be fat as well.

People who are overweight because of medical or biological reasons are, of course, and exemption to the rule, so to speak. I, myself, am overweight because I'm too lazy to go to the gym.

Binaman
January 19th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Same here, not to much anymore but there was a time I was simply huge likke 120 pounds overweight now I am down to about 40 over cursed dieting

Mordican
January 19th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Well heres the thing. Obviously the guy knew that the cable was still being piped in. Did he clip the cable line going into hiw house? No... Did he get rid of the cable box? No... Did he get rid of the TV? No... Did he tell his wife and kids they couldn't watch TV anymore? No... Did he encourage his family to eat right and not be lazy? No...

Basically its another case of a person not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions, or as it seems recently... Inaction.

Unfortunatly Americans are adopting an "Its not my fault, its someone else's fault" attitude. Lack of common sense and self control is a growing problem in our society. To often people use the term addiction as a scapegoat for their problems.

Filan Fyretracker
January 19th, 2004, 08:57 AM
the new world order of sue first ask questions later is bad for everyone. imo congress should scrap all current laws being worked on and write one that makes moronic lawsuits illegal. basicly if something happens you have no choice in then i can see a suit. but these people suing fast food because their a fatass is dumb because going to Mc Donalds is a choice not something that just happens out of fate like being by a drunk driver.

Naelaen
January 19th, 2004, 09:05 AM
The majority of Americans are alright, at least the ones I met when I visited Florida years back. Whilst "have a nice day" gets a little on our pedantic Brit nerves when it's actually a tornado watch with a lightning storm outside, at least it's courteous.

But I have to admit whenever stupid cases like this come out, we always suspect it's the work of an American. Must be something to do with your constitution (freedom and all that) or something. Or perhaps it's to do with the capitilism that defines the US from a business standpoint. Would be interesting to find out... anyone doing a sociology degree or similar?

Unfortunatly this "it's not my fault, its someone else's fault" attitude is catching in the UK :(

Filan Fyretracker
January 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Whilst "have a nice day" gets a little on our pedantic Brit nerves when it's actually a tornado watch with a lightning storm outside, at least it's courteous.

this is partly because TV weather men are a tad whacky here when talking the local network affiliates.

EvilIguana966
January 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
What is wrong with America these days? One thing: Warning labels. Allow me to elaborate.

Back in the 1950s America was doing pretty well, things were great, aside from some pockets who downright refused to acknowledge that they LOST the civil war. But times were good, family values were high, tradition dictated healthy living. What has changed? Well now we have warning labels on everything. Kids used to learn by doing, by experiencing, by exploring. Now that is too dangerous, we have TVs to teach us, and warning labels telling us what NOT to do. So rather than being what to do and what NOT to do by our parents, we are prevented from ever experiencing the world by the foreboding warning label.

Guess what, things were better when there were consequences for our actions. I recall being very young, and mom said don't touch the stove. So guess what, I touched it, and my fingers got burned, and mom yelled at me, and I learned 2 things: Don't touch hot stuff, and mommy likes me better if I follow her instructions. That and I knew that mommy's instructions generally yielded more comfortable conditions. In todays world everything comes with safety guards, and mommy will just cage her kid up and prevent him from learning these things.

It gets worse. It's no longer the parents job to supervise their childrens activities, yes, playgrounds are becoming childproof, plastic, with padding. And if we go to a national park to experience nature, we are kept on railed paths and disallowed to climb the rocks for fear we might hurt ourselves.

What does this all have to do with stupid Americans then? Well, now theres no natural selection for one, and two we are becoming a nation of people incapable of fending for ourselves. When somone does something stupid, they sue somone else for it, and end up eliminating yet another freedom. People coming of age this generation have 0 respect for their elders, they have no concept of commen sense, and worst of all, they have no sense of responsibility.

If kids are flunking outa school, apparently we need to throw gobs of cash at the school to fix it. If the teachers just suck, we can't fire them because theyre part of a bloodsucking union. If I'm a stupid promiscuos woman who gets pregnant, flunks outa school, lives in the slums, and can't get a good job cause i'm an idiot, well guess what I GET WELFARE! And the more kids I have, thew more free money I get. And If i want MORE free money, I just vote Democratic.

And I think this whole cycle is why many other nations resent us. What kind country rewards it's citizens for being dumbasses. What kind of country has so much money it just tries to buy fixes rather than put a little work into them.

laertise
January 19th, 2004, 02:01 PM
The worst part about all of this guy who is sueing the cable company is hes going to ruin it for all of us who get free cable.

Laertise

Garlron
January 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Great post EvilIguana. Agreed.

Lirren
January 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM
We didn't lose the War of Northern Aggression. We're still fighting it, just on a whole different level. Just watch a Brit call a Southern Belle a Yankee and watch the fur fly...

Catila Amano
January 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Hehe, that's not the first time I've heard the war between the states that took place from 1861 to 1865 called that. But one thing's for sure: it wasn't a "Civil War." A civil war is fought by two or more factions who are vieing for control of the country. That was not the case in the war between the states. The South wanted to govern themselves without Federal interference, rather than wanting to govern the entire country.

I agree with EvilIguana, though. This has become a litigious society. Things didn't go your way? Sue. You bonked your head because you did something stupid? Sue. Something didn't work in a way in which it was never intended? Sue. You can't stop eating McDonald's or watching cable TV? Sue.

It seems that the modern replacement for personal responsibility has become a lawsuit. People no longer take responsibility for their actions -- it's always someone else's fault, whether it be McDonalds, the auto maker's, or the cable company's.

Unfortunately, I fear that there is going to be a REAL civil war in this country sometime in the not-too-distant future between those who hold the values of personal responsibility dear and those who depend on the government to be their cradle-to-grave nanny. In a way, it is already being fought today, but fortunately, no blood has been spilled -- yet.

Satarus
January 20th, 2004, 12:53 PM
American's don't want to be responsible for their own actions. If they blame someone else for their own failings, then they don't have to face the fact that they are flawed individuals who aren't perfect and make mistakes.

Mordican
January 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
What does this all have to do with stupid Americans then? Well, now theres no natural selection for one, and two we are becoming a nation of people incapable of fending for ourselves. When somone does something stupid, they sue somone else for it, and end up eliminating yet another freedom. People coming of age this generation have 0 respect for their elders, they have no concept of commen sense, and worst of all, they have no sense of responsibility.

Well the whole natural selection thing is a bit of overstatement, but the rest sums it up nicely.

I remember back in Highschool almost 10 years ago now... The change was defiantely coming. Parents were getting in trouble for disciplining their kids the old fashioned way, freshmen in high school forgetting they were bottom of the barrel again, etc...

Basically traditions and respect were slowly starting to fade away. There is an old High School tradition we had that really comes to mind. our highschool had the lockers of the various grades grouped together through out the building. normally they were closest to the rooms where the classes were taught. Senior Hall of course was at the front of the building. Had a nice row of windows and a bench that ran the length of it. This was called the Senior Bench and tradition was only upper classmen were allowed to sit on it. It was kind of a loose tradition where if you were with friends it was okay. Anyways by the time I was a senior the freshmen and softmores were well into the wanna be period and thought they were our equals. It got to the point where they would stand on it and ignore you if you asked them to leave. Used to be the offending person or people would end up getting their head dunked into one of the local bathrooms and all but then the anti-hazing craze kicked in. By the end of the year the senior bench tradition was basically dead. All it took were two years worth of disrespect and the PC movement and a 40 year tradition was gone.

Coffee
January 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Uhm...you do realize we have written accounts of people complaining that "Kids don't respect their elders these days" dating from 700B.C. right?
Nothing new there.

*edit*
Oh, and some were convinced the world was comming to and end as well.

Mordican
January 20th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Uhm...you do realize we have written accounts of people complaining that "Kids don't respect their elders these days" dating from 700B.C. right?
Nothing new there.

*edit*
Oh, and some were convinced the world was comming to and end as well.

True but back in 700BC you could give your kid a spanking or a lashing and not get thrown in jail for child abuse as well.

Satarus
January 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM
You can still give your kid a spanking.

Mordican
January 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM
http://maddog.buster.com/pipermail/maddog-news/2001-November/000005.html

European countries are actually beginning to ban spankings.

Also many child advocate groups claim spanking has a detremental emotional impat on childern.

Spankings have been outlawed in places like schools and what not, but there are still those that believe it should be considered a crime no matter what.

Tuluz
January 21st, 2004, 07:06 PM
I agree that America has become a state of not wanting to take responsibility for its actions and it is definetely a litigious society now as well. A quick small fix for stupid lawsuits which I believe prevails in the UK (correct me if I am wrong) If you bring up a civil lawsuit and lose and the court deems it appropriate you must pay for the other sides legal fees.
I think that would go a long way towards stopping stupid lawsuits. Because right now if you lose you pay nothing maybe your lawyers fees, but half of the firms out there say you don't have to pay anything or very little unless we win. It is ridiculous(sp?).

togashi
January 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah, our legal system definitely needs some reforms. I wish there was a way to have a "hey, dumbass, don't do that" law, but I could see that one getting abused.

As far as spanking goes, I can count on my left had the number of times I was spanked, and I deserved it every time. I called my Mom stupid once, when I was about 6. She about put me through a wall. Never did that again.

Ciarin
January 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM
I got spanked a lot when I was little. My mom used wooden spoons or a cutting board. My dad used his hand. Sometimes I was given a choice: spanking or grounding. I always picked spanking.

My dad stopped after a while. My mom stopped after I pushed her over the back of the couch.

I don't know if it helped or hindered me with my behaviour. And I don't know if it contributed to my high pain tolerance/fetish.....it's a possibility though.

If I had a kid and he screwed up royal, I'd probably spank him. I don't think spanking on the bum should be illegal, but if it goes further than that I'd say the parents should get a spanking of their own. Any marks that last more than a few hours, or bruises is definitely a no-no.

Erling E.
January 22nd, 2004, 03:22 AM
My parents have never hit me. I think I turned out ok, so I won't go hitting my future children either :-)

I was extremely blessed, and grew up in a home totally built on 100% love. There was never any fighting. Never. I'm very glad for that.

Iiliani Seadream
January 22nd, 2004, 03:48 AM
I was on the bus the other day, sitting upstairs, and I saw a mother and child at a bus stop we pulled up to. The mother was just waiting, the child, about 4-5 I would judge) was on a little bicycle, wheeling around a bit.

They got on, and the child started to clamber up the stairs whilst the mother was paying the fare, wanting to sit on the top deck. I heard the mother tell him, 'No, I have your bicycle here, I can't carry it upstairs, we are going to sit downstairs'.
Several times she said this, adding in 'Come back down here sweetheart' and other things.
The child completly ignored this, apart from a few whinging noises and continued climbing the stairs to the top deck.

Lo and behold, next I hear the mother climbing the stairs, slowly and with a great deal of effort, as she is carrying this bicycle.
When she gets to the top deck, she sits down beside her child, and says nothing about the fact he completely ignored what she said to him, all she says is something like 'Sit back sweetie'.

I found myself shaking my head and realised I was completely disgusted.
The adult was not in charge there, the child was. If that child learns now, at such a young age that he can ignore anything said by an adult and do his own thing, that child will grow up with no respect for adults at all, and probably cause a great deal of trouble in school, etc.
And I know it's a cliche, but quite frankly, I blame the parent.
However, if she had come up to the top deck, and started scolding the child for ignoring and disobeying her, or god forbid taken hold of him to make him go back downstairs.....
How many people on the top deck, seeing this, would start scowling and muttering about child abuse?

There is no easy solution. And this probably counts as a derail, so I am going to stop now.

Nulien
January 22nd, 2004, 07:24 AM
I've seen how kids turn out when their parents don't discipline them, Iiliana... in fact, I had to live with one for a time.

It was about 11:30 pm on a school night, and this 9 year old girl was still awake. Her mother came in and turned the light off saying it was time for bed, and the girl started screaming at her, saying something along the lines of "When I tell you to leave the f***ing light on, you leave the f***ing light on!" (9 year old girl... NOT an exaggeration) And the worst part... her mother actually did leave the light on, and didn't even raise her voice or anything.

Edit: If I ever said anything like that to my mother, I would probably be dead about 0.03 seconds later.

Gnomish
January 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
my mom tried spanking me a few months ago... _.. oh and when my sisters and i say bad words she smacks us in the mouth... not hard.. but to let Fili and Howard know that them words are bad.. I am an ADULT and she treats me like my little sisters.. neither of them got spankings when they were little but i got them often...

Mordican
January 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
I remember when I said my first swear word in front of my mom. I was throwing a fit and didn't realise it until after the fact. I immediately shut up. Bar of soap later and it was another 8 years before I did that ever again.

Gnomish
January 22nd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Fili and i have learned that if we are gonna slip up to do it when dad is around.. he's the one that 'taught' us the words.... ^___^ I've never had my mouth washed out with soap, because when i was a kid i tasted soap and it didnt make me want to vomit.. (i am wierd)

Erling E.
January 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Seriously, there is NO excuse to hit your child. To disciplin your child has NOTHING to do with hitting or spanking it. NOTHING. I have never been hit, spanked or had any other form of physical diciplin from my parents. And I turned out perfectly well.

You can discplin someone through words and behaviour. You can ground them, tell them you are disappointed over them and so on. You can yell, you can scream and so on. But NEVER hit them. Thats not being a good parent. If you child won't listen to you unless you hit it, you are either a very bad parent or that kid is just pure messed up.

I have no respect for parents who physically disciplin their children.

Satarus
January 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Oh what are you going to do? Give them a "TIME OUT." Thats where the child goes and sits there and thinks about what he did. Yeah i got those sometimes when i was little and I just sat there and I didn't "think about what i did."

I'm not advocating abuse. Anything that leaves any lasting mark or bruising is excessive and abusive.

Erling E.
January 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM
What you are all doing wrong is saying all children is basically alike. "You must do this to children or they won't turn out good". Children are all different, and everyone need to recognize this.

For instance, when I was a kid and I did something bad, and my parents said "Well, we are very disappointed". I felt awful. Thats because I have a conscience. Some children got that in spades, other seemingly has none.

I just don't think hitting your child is the right thing to do. If it is a "problem child", they need special care. They need to face reality or whatever. There are always other ways to do it beside resulting in physical violence. You just need to know your child and find out the right way to manage them. Violence only turns things to the worse. If my parents had hit me when I was a kid, I would have hated them later in life.

Listen to me, sounding like a parent, which I'm not :-)

Mordican
January 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Well heres the thing. A lot of it has to do with how your parents were raised as well. The whole spanking thing is actually biblical. There are books written on it about how to properly spank/discipline your child.

http://www.bible.com/answers/aspankin.html

http://www.dougbrittonbooks.com/resources/christian-parenting-spanking-children-bible-god.asp

Hate to pull out the bible guns, but many of the views and traditions of family values have come from it.

Coffee
January 22nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
The only problem with spanking is it does not work.
Never has.

It may seem to in that many children who were spanked grew up okay, but I'd hazard a guess that their parents did many other things in addition to spanking. And the children matured into responsible adults in spite of the spankings due to other forms of behaivour and attitude adjustment.

Ciarin
January 22nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
All children ARE different. Some need to get corporal punishment, and some don't. It all depends. What may work for Erling, may not work for everyone. And what worked for me, may not work for everyone.

And to get this thread back on track a bit:

I think if you can get a little money from suing some corporation, then more power to ya. If I thought I'd get away with it, I'd sue. Maybe if the guy wins over the fast food company, then that company would try to make healthier food. It could be beneficial in the end.

Those rich CEO's who spend thousands of dollars on stupid little things piss me off though. But if it's their money, and their company, they can do it.

Erling E.
January 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one who can't stop thinking of Monty Python with all this spanking-talk? :-)

Ciarin
January 22nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
/giggle

Raven00x
January 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
in regards to spanking and interesting fetishes, i offer this
http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032003.shtml
(that strip is relatively clean as far as s*p goes, but the rest of them are raunchy, though funny. your productivity at work has been warned :twisted:)

Velenka
January 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
I love me some Something Positive, yes indeedy :)

EvilIguana966
January 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
What you are all doing wrong is saying all children is basically alike. "You must do this to children or they won't turn out good". Children are all different, and everyone need to recognize this.

For instance, when I was a kid and I did something bad, and my parents said "Well, we are very disappointed". I felt awful. Thats because I have a conscience. Some children got that in spades, other seemingly has none.

I just don't think hitting your child is the right thing to do. If it is a "problem child", they need special care. They need to face reality or whatever. There are always other ways to do it beside resulting in physical violence. You just need to know your child and find out the right way to manage them. Violence only turns things to the worse. If my parents had hit me when I was a kid, I would have hated them later in life.

Listen to me, sounding like a parent, which I'm not

While they aren't all exactly alike, by and large young children respond to positive/negative reinforcement very similarly. When I was young, I wasn't spanked much, and when I was, it was a single one, just to get my attention and assert whos the boss. It was always followed by a verbal reprimand, and possibly being sent to my room. I have always been antsy, curious, inquisitive, and semi trouble-prone, but yet I never had any malice and my intentions have always been pure. I always did my best in school, I have always been polite, courteous, helpful, friendly, etc, and as such I havent had a lot of punishments. And when I have been punished, I never weaseled out of it, or tried to escape it.

Physical beatings to a point where they are the sole punsishment are wrong. Noone has any excuse to hurt their child like that, and if they are decent parents their kids will grow up with moral values that will prevent them from having to rely on negative reinforcement.

Now I understand the need for special help, I have gone through therapy and medication for severe depression, anxiety, anger, etc. The key is that no negative actions were excused, they were still punished. When I hit this guy I got suspended, I got told I cannot let my anger get the best of me, and I got help controlling my out of whack emotions. I understand the need for exploring behavioral therapy rather than simply positive/negative reinforcement. Had my parents punished me for being depressed and told me to solve the issues myself, I'd probably be either dead or in jail by now.

Perhaps if other parents had been doing their jobs and teaching their kids good behavior then I never would have been abused so much in elementary school. You know I was taught that you treat people with respect and embrace their differences, but these kids weren't taught any of that, and the school didn't do a damn thing to stop it except punish me when I got angry and threatened to kill a kid if he didn't leave me alone. Or how bout the time I got suspended for being beat up.... because the other kid had a "rough life" and I sh.ould have avoided him. See theres a fine line between being firm but sensitive and being over compassionate and stupid.

So we are all different, but we all have similar needs. Kids raised in "no discipline, pure love" households turn out to be selfish brats, while kids who are abused by their deadbeat parents end up horribly scarred emotionally.

Erling E.
January 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Iguana, I really don't feel like a selfish brat. Still, I grew up in a home based on these criterias you just mentioned would turn me into one.

Binaman
January 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
I sometimes wish I was not an American, I lose more and more pride for my nation each time I see dumb crap like this. To that note the amount of heavy set people in this nation is becoming alarming. Some insurance companies now cover I think it was Jenny Criag or something. I saw it while I was working there and just broke my NDA with the cleaning company ;) lol anyways, sure I am over wieght but I took action against it I dont see why it is so hard to lose wieght. The first month is a bitch but it is so easy after that =D

Jennivere
January 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure if I like the whole spanking thing. I doubt I could ever do that to my children just based on what I went through. Spanking turned pretty brutal at home. To where it wasn't just spanking. I have physical and emotional scars from that. I think there's better forms of discipline. Apart from what I went through, I don't think spanking sends the right kind of message.

Binaman
January 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Jenn tell me a diffrent way to get a punishment across, spanking worked for me. I think I am a well rounded person because I had proper punishment as a child for my actions. Where as one of my older friends (I no longer speak to him ) had no punishment as a child and is a reckless jerk that has no respect for anyone or anything

Jennivere
January 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Well in my opinion, reprimanding them, grounding them, letting them know they disappoint you are all good forms of punishment that will work. It makes me sad that some think spanking is proper punishment, but that's me I guess. Punishment without spanking, and no punishment at all are very different though.

Garlron
January 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Truth is each child is different. Saying that doing (insert punishment here) to your child will result in them being jackasses in life is clearly far from the case. As Erling has stated, he was never spanked and turned out fine. While Binaman, on the other hand, was spanked and also turned out fine.

I, personally, was punished once when I was younger by being sent to my room. I played with puzzles untill my mom told me I could come out which had no effect at all. Other then that I haven't been punished in any form, and am still (younger then the avg crowd here) turning out fine.

Mordican
January 22nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
Its the parent's choic really. I agree the public spankings like schools and what were over board I believe that if used correctly spankings are good. When I was a teenager my parents stopped and moved to groundings and what not.

When a child is young they have not developed a good sense of right and wrong. One of the lessons they must learn is right from wrong, consequences, etc... Making a child sit in a corner with a toy or something for an hour is one form of punishment, but giving them a switch smack on the behind will also emphizes the point. Smack with a spoon to the hand or something can emphizes proper manners and what not at a table or something. If done correctly these forms of punishment can be good. Now I'm not saying you full on nail the child, there is a limit and other methods should be tried first, but sometimes little kids just throw a fit. Please understand that I also think that it is wrong to smack a child on the face no matter what the circumstance. (There is a reason our butts have so much padding after all).