PDA

View Full Version : MMO Movement

Frodric
January 19th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I've been looking at few of the new Beta products and the games that are out now and I'm amazed at the different movements methods. Point and click, keyboard wasd only, mouse look/steer+ keyboard forward. I was wondering what people tend to prefer?

Gondinian
January 19th, 2004, 09:55 PM
i like the original drive with the Arrow keys and click with the mouse.... thats always gotten me through the rough times

Kaerou
January 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM
i prefer arrow keys with mouse click too.

Tiladien
January 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM
I like wasd and mouselook. I've tried with the arrow keys but find they're too close to the mouse (no room to move the mouse over more) and I'm reaching for other keys. By mapping action keys around wasd I find I can do stuff faster and easier, probably in large part because I'm used to it.

Dragonel
January 19th, 2004, 11:11 PM
I've always been a big fan of versitility. In Anarchy Online (and, I believe, original EQ) you could switch fairly easily between my two preferred movements styles- Arrow keys (usually for third person motion), and mouselook lock (mouse3, I believe, it was on AO.

So, for carefully positioning oneself, or making those three-step strides across a store, I would use the arrow keys. For almost anything else I kick on autorun and click mouse3 once, switching me into mouse-steering.

Pike Tha Blodd
January 20th, 2004, 12:10 AM
kinda depends for me, if its a reflex game i like wasd, but for EQ ive got my keys mapped all over the place. Im kinda wishing they would find a way to make a gamepad react well enough for online games, and have the keyboard as supplimental

Wolf
January 20th, 2004, 12:29 AM
I like just using the keys because sometimes i play on laptops and its hard controlling the mouse and making it go as far as you want and stuff. This should be a poll.

Naelaen
January 20th, 2004, 04:54 AM
I just like EQ's movement system :D

(WASD with mouselook, must be the FPSer in me).

Realmreaver
January 20th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I like wasd and mouselook. I've tried with the arrow keys but find they're too close to the mouse (no room to move the mouse over more) and I'm reaching for other keys. By mapping action keys around wasd I find I can do stuff faster and easier, probably in large part because I'm used to it.

first time I got to use this was in KOTOR..... I really liked it

Cantatus
January 20th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Like Realmreaver, the first time I experienced WASD movement was in KoTOR. It worked for this game, but i don't think it'd work too well for a MMOG. You need those buttons to chat. I know my character would constantly be forming new words with these four letters.

The arrow keys make sense. It'd probably make the most sense and is sort of universal. I've found going from one format to another is pretty annoying and confusing.

However, I think the one I really prefer is FFXI's system (using the numberpad). The way they set it up, I can do just about everything with the numberpad and don't even need the mouse. Being left-handed, using my right-hand to move (as opposed to WASD which uses your left-hand), I'm more able to do things like take notes, talk on the phone, drink, etc. Makes everything convenient for me.

Reis Tahlen
January 20th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Keyboard and mouse, old habit from Doom-likes :)

Nilana
January 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Microsoft commander and a mouse is what I like best.
In combat itís great to have everything I need right there in my left hand and focus on my target with my right. I never have to switch my mouse from UI to movement and the commander has a movable base to replace the arrow keys.
The only thing I have a problem with now is moving from the commander/mouse to the keyboard for chat. But, if Iím using voice communication (roger wilco, game voice, even MSN) then I don't even have to do that. I find that I can be incredible responsive when I have a whole party on voice chat and never have to hunt for keys or switch modes. I know what everyone is doing as soon as itís thought of, I know how many are incoming as soon as the puller does, we can discus tactics in mid combat. It makes the whole party become a well-oiled Special Forces team, hehe nothing is left standing except us.

Deathbane27
January 20th, 2004, 07:21 AM
I guess I'm wierd. I've got a big desk. To the right of the keyboard and mouse is a stack of whatever. To the left is blank space. Why? When I'm playing games, I push the keyboard to the left, then have my left hand on the numpad and my right hand on the mouse. I use numpad + for auto attack, numpad Enter for jump. I also used to use numpad 9 and 3 to look down and up, respectively, but now I've gotten used to using Mouselook, which also takes care of strafing.

I use this setup in all games.

Cwywtm (click where you want to move, no idea how you pronounce that) might be okay, but Shadowbane screwed it up royally by having cursor movement depend on the game's framerate. Pure suckiness. I'm STILL shocked EQ uses framerate-dependent mouse cursor movement. *hug DAoC*

Ivaar Forkbeard
January 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Neverwinter nights is kinda strange to move around in, because you can use 3 different methods of movement interchangably without changing options or anything.

- WASD with Q and E for strafing works
- That Cwywtm thing...
- And also mousedriving... click and hold and your character will move towards your curser if you move it around.

I prefer to use the WASD thing... and yeah a lot of people use that from playing doom type games... I'm one of them, and I'm not surprised to find others of my kind.

Dark Tyger
January 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
Keybaord steer, mouse clicking. I do wasd and mouselook for FP shooters, but it just doesn't feel right in FP MMORPGs.

Saethori
January 21st, 2004, 12:50 AM
When playing FFXI, I use gamepad. Always gamepad.

The game plays very much like traditional FF games in some respects, and having a gamepad accentuates on that. The only sideeffects are that I sometimes Rest by accident, and going to type something takes a small bit of time.

I haven't yet needed to touch the mouse with this setup, unless I'm going to load up PlayOnline. The instant I doubleclick the icon, to the moment I quit, it's all gamepad.

I guess I just like playing games like that.