PDA

View Full Version : A new window for Combat Abilities (12/3)

Woody
December 3rd, 2003, 01:51 AM
I got word that the new combat abilities for melee characters was up on test. So, I went to go check it out, naturally.

In reading the news that pops up after you patch, I saw that our new combat system is tucked into yet another new window. Hell, I can barely see what's in front of me these days there's so much garbage on my screen.

I mean, I dig the new targetting system MAINLY because it doesn't pop us a new screen. Surely there is a better way. **sighs**

After I ranted to myself for a bit about in game windows being the bane of quality game play, I logged into the game and made my way to the north east corner of West Commonlands, where the news release indicated I could acquire some of these new "tomes" we learn our new abilities from.

The folks in serverwide.gucomics warned me that they were bugged and were causing crashes. So I thought I was going in prepared.

Well, I got there and right clicked the merchant to buy some tomes, right clicked and blam... desktop.

I decided then that I'd wait a bit longer before I tried again.

I mean... first the new window and then the crash to desktop... I had better things to do.

Gnomish
December 3rd, 2003, 01:56 AM
::ROFL:: ^_^ good one... as allways

I will not be loggin into the Test Server to try that out, any time soon.. i hate crashes MORE than other people... but that's just coz it takes an Halfhour for me to be completley logged in..

Grimlok
December 3rd, 2003, 01:58 AM
Soon they'll have a window to tell you what windows you have open. It's been quite awhile since i played EQ and i remember there were several windows cluttering the screen then. I hate to think it's gotten worse.

Kaylen
December 3rd, 2003, 01:59 AM
They.. they do have a window that tells you what windows you have open.

Grimlok
December 3rd, 2003, 02:01 AM
really... wow can you even still see whats going on around you?

Ciarin
December 3rd, 2003, 02:03 AM
I'm glad I only have a few windows to worry about.

chat window, my stat window, and my quickbar.

If I'm in a group, I have a mini-group window. If I have my pet I have my pet stats window.

Velenka
December 3rd, 2003, 02:05 AM
Hee, a Ted comic :) I kind of felt the same way when they did that re-activate-closed-accounts thing about a week ago, and I logged on to see what had changed. Clicky-close, clicky-close, clicky-close..

Gosh, how many years has it been, and I can't figure out the trick to making the game gamma resolution lighter even though my monitor brightness and the in-game gamma are both cranked all the way up? Lol..

Kaylen
December 3rd, 2003, 02:06 AM
I have my resolution rather large (1280x1024) and if I open my inventory, there goes the world, I hope no one trains me.

I have.. spells, hot keys, chat, battle chat, group, buffs, songs, my status, target window, that window that lists your abilities and macros and stuff, MP3 player, the window that tells you what windows you have up, and every so often a pet window.

On a semi-related (in annoyance level) note.. Lead GMs are now effectively spamming system-wide messages telling me to buy Lords of EverQuest. It's aggrivating.

Grimlok
December 3rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Sounds like it's a good thing i didn't do the reactivate thing. I would of had to reinstall everything anyway. Sounds like i would need a bigger monitor too just to be able to see what i was fighting.

Dr.Gonzo
December 3rd, 2003, 03:34 AM
I dont really have anything to compare EQ to, as far as mmorpg but I never really had a problem after the first time I organized my screen.

Naelaen
December 3rd, 2003, 03:54 AM
I have everything crammed around the edges of my screen, but at the end of the day I still see a lot more than I did back in the days of the old GUI (the one whos only remaining legacy is in the options and login screens).

I think I'd just add the window where I have my pet window, I don't care what my bitten victim's health bar is :)

Erling E.
December 3rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
It was a window to the desktop, which also is Windows. Get the link? It's a conspiracy!

ancarett
December 3rd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Why the heck couldn't they have the abilities work in the spell bar? Little icons for each ability, greying out when they've been used and still not active, the whole thing.

(Nope, not going to log into Test to find out. Uninstalled EQ last year 'cause I can only afford one MMORPG subscription at a time and it isn't EQ right now.)

Jishia
December 3rd, 2003, 05:28 AM
See, that would be too easy.. they need a Pop up Window that Pops up whenever a Pop up Window Pops up, an infinate paradox to boggle the minds of the lesser civilized in the game, coupled with the Spell Effects the newbies will be too dazed with "Oooh purdy lights" to hog the Planes with their incapable selves!

Rant yes.. overboard yes..

Bleh, but seriouslly I think the Warrior change is bloody awesome (bout time) but as stated they could have used the Spell Book/Spell Gems and SOOO simplify things. now Raid Warriors will be rubbing Coffee into their eyes so they can make sure they arn't missing any Openings and loose Taunt.

Dravvan
December 3rd, 2003, 05:41 AM
/nods at Jishia

I would have thought they would use the spell gems thing as well with a separate 'spell book' or somesuch to 'memorize' said new abilities.

I guess that makes too much sense, eh?

Syrieal
December 3rd, 2003, 06:00 AM
I happen to have about 8 different windows on my screen, one for guild chat, one for group chat, one for combat, etc.... and i happen to love it, i cannot be spammed, i can easily scroll up on things i missed, i can read group chat while guild chat is spamming down, its very convinent for me actually....

Edit: How do i live with this? i put the Fade level(in options) down to 0% and i can see through everything, some things i turn up the fade level so i can easliy use them such as spell gems, and my hot button window.

-Syrieal Killer-
Sullon Zek
[65 Feral Lord]Syrieal (Vah Shir) <Black Prophecy>
[55 Troubadour]Kattak (Vah Shir) <Black Prophecy>

Aeria
December 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM
Yeah you get used to all the windows..back when I was playing EQ I had guild window group window raid window melee window and officer chat...it was easy but then when you leave eq and then go back to talk to friends...you are like..omg..I cant see anything.

lymlym
December 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
*uses bad words about sony*

there were times I wish Sony would quit tinkering around EQ little crap and get around to more serious stuff

what serious stuff? good point

Mordican
December 3rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
Ehhhh Windows are all about organization... You get used to them after a while. I will say this though there is no one inhell I am ever turning on those chat windows... One of our uber chanters decided to flip them on and just stand in the PoKnowledge to see how many requests for KEI he got and how many requests for KEI he got since our server doesn't have a resident permacrack dealer... damn near 100 in less then an hour.

darkpaw
December 3rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Yah its definately about the organization and the /viewport command is your best friend.

I personally love the ability to have all the windows you want, its one of the things about the FFXI interface that drives me absoluetly nuts since I can't do any meaningful changes at all.

Maeven
December 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
re: using spell gems for new melee abilities...wouldnt that limit you to only using 8 in any given situation? Don't ask for something you might regret, I know plenty of casters who would kill for a few extra spell slots, hehe

~Maeve

Kat
December 3rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
I made a warrior last night. :D

Just like I said. Hopefully it won't take 37 years to get her high enough to see the changes. I don't want to peek on Test.

Funny comic too - when I came back to EQ and made a Newbie to was like - ahhhh! Windows!!! They're everywhere!

Coffee
December 3rd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Ah yes, windows...just another pane.

Inara
December 3rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Just gotta love logging onto a character you havn't been on since some of the newer patches. Or logging in for a different computer then where you .ini is saved. I think it took me 5 minutes of clikcing off boxes when i logged into the Bazaar whith a character who hadn't had all her "tips" clicked to not open anymore.

**Shakes fist in the air*** Damn you new Boxes, Damn you!

Inara
Emarr Server

Lenardo
December 3rd, 2003, 09:11 AM
they fixed the right clicking

opening rate needs tweaking higher (right now its ~1 per 4-5 minutes for me)
opening TIMER needs tweaking higher(right now it is ~a tic(6 sec) in that tic you haver to see you have an opening, recognize what ones are active
press said button

currently it is too much twitch

about the serverwide SPAMMINg

i was in EC (wc was down) and one of the spam "buy loe" emotes went off

a few people ocmplained, and i commented in ooc that all the spamming just made me not want to buy it.

and then an invis Dev in zone did zone emotes

Lenardo you will buy LoE, Buy it Buy it!!

and about 10 others, it was funny as hell.

Cerrena
December 3rd, 2003, 09:12 AM
A couple of weeks ago I experienced a crashed to desktop that must of corrupted or deleted my interface preference ini. It took me a good half an hour to get everything back to normal. I was just glad I wasn't in the middle of a raid or something when it happened.

Zeal
December 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM
That sounds like a really bad crash...

More windows huh? Sounds tedious

Kudane
December 3rd, 2003, 09:33 AM
Why the heck couldn't they have the abilities work in the spell bar? Little icons for each ability, greying out when they've been used and still not active, the whole thing.

Then there would be no difference between a melee and a caster. I can understand them wanting to keep the classes a little unique. I have not looked at the XML to see if it can be combined with one of the other windows, but I can tell you that they want MELEE and CASTING to feel different..

while your idea is a good one, it would make both of them the same thing, click gem, wait for pop up, click gem.

/bow

Kat
December 3rd, 2003, 09:50 AM
A couple of weeks ago I experienced a crashed to desktop that must of corrupted or deleted my interface preference ini. It took me a good half an hour to get everything back to normal. I was just glad I wasn't in the middle of a raid or something when it happened.

Oooh oooh! That happened to me too. More than once.

Bisuketto
December 3rd, 2003, 10:35 AM
I know the true purpose of the berserker now..... a window washer.

You know someone has to wash all those windows. Who better then a new class.

Tenolein
December 3rd, 2003, 11:13 AM
I used to have a huge problem with the windows because I was used to the original UI. Now, I love them. My ranger has a chat/emote window, ooc/auction window, spell effects/damage window, trackin window(minimized), target, hotkey, and the other normal stuff.. I used to have the /tell windows too, but I had to turn them off cause I'd get /tell'd too often and jumpin from one window to another felt too much like AIM, so I went back to the good ol' ways.

It will be interesting to see how the opening window will work out though. Until then, I gotta work on my warrior to get him to level 20.. Only 2 levels to go!! =)

Gnomish
December 3rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Ah yes, windows...just another pane.

::falls down laughing:: :lol:
::stands up and dusts herself off:: Good one Coffee!

The windows don't bother me... I have them all neatly arranged in a square... and they all fade so you can see thru them when you don't have the mouse on them.. it's very nice... i can be checking my XP during a fight, and still see what's going on..

Woody
December 3rd, 2003, 12:45 PM
My brain prefers the streamlined funtionality the spell gems bar represents. So, as a warrior, I wish our system set up WAS similar to that.

I mean, it is, after all, the same kind of thing. The stamina/endurance bar is pretty much our little yellow "mana" reminder.

And skills... spells... even the words are similar.

Not the same, but certainly similar: timed actions that allow a player to effect a certain desired response.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 3rd, 2003, 12:45 PM
I kind of felt the same way when they did that re-activate-closed-accounts thing about a week ago

Reactivate closed accounts? Enlighten me, pretty please. You're making me paranoid that my wizzy is gone.

Velenka
December 3rd, 2003, 01:07 PM
Oh no hehe.. I'd think that your wizzy is still there :) I just meant that they gave folks 2 weeks free on accounts that aren't active at the moment, so that they can come back to EQ and peek around, see what the new changes are.

Just bad wording on my part.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM
Ah ok. I just checked my email addy with SOE, it was way old. Updated now, so maybe next time they do that, I'll know about it ;)

Triv
December 3rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
couldn't you theareticaly(spelling?) make a UI that puts the Abilities all in one line? if you did that, and then minimized it a little it would work pretty much the same as the spells...

Min the Druid
December 3rd, 2003, 04:32 PM
Sure, you should be able to change the size and shape of the bottons, or even use the spell gems window XML file as a template to make your new melee opening window. That's probably what I'll do for my rogue and warrior, the way I've made my custom UI there's a hole for them where the spells should be. It all depends on how the window works.

Has anyone heard anything about the rumor of them upping the number of spells you can memm to 10? Either way it seems like I'll have a bunch of UI work to do.

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 3rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Triv what game is that (talking about your little picture thingy)

I havent logged onto everquest in 3 days OMG!!! heehh and the patcher takes forever cause it stops dling after 5 files and i gotta restart it. I still dont get the combat moves ROGUES DONT NEED EM!

John Dyne
December 3rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah.. windows are a big pane in the glass. *flees*

Kudane
December 3rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Ah ok. I just checked my email addy with SOE, it was way old. Updated now, so maybe next time they do that, I'll know about it ;)

try logging in, it was good till 5th of Dec.. sooo you could be active without even knowing it.

/bow

Kudane
December 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM

*Rim Shot*
Baddump
Bump!

"Thank you! I will be here all week..... try the buffet!"

:twisted:

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 3rd, 2003, 05:37 PM
Wow, that was worse than some of my father-in-law's puns :D

Ciarin
December 3rd, 2003, 05:37 PM

john's pun owns.

Woody
December 3rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
**grumbles and tries to keep quiet.**

**fails**

I'm going to say something mean, I just know I am.

John Dyne
December 3rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Oh crap. I'm doomed, aren't I? Utterly and horridly doomed?

Ah, well. I can't crack another pun. It was so much easier when we mentioned eggs.

Triv
December 3rd, 2003, 08:30 PM
the thing in my picture thingy below is just a paladin from some random thing - I can't remember if i drew it or if it was my friend, it was quite a long time ago...