PDA

View Full Version : Hidden World type books? aka Harry Potter

Stagecoach
April 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Can anyone recommend a good series with a hidden world type theme in it aside from (Harry Potter series, Tad Williams Otherworld/War of the Flowers, and Anne Rice(though wasn't a big fan of this series).

Strikesfirmly
April 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Offpaw, some single novels;

The Wolfen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688033474/sr=8-2/qid=1145078992/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5262137-3347836?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Darwinia (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812566629/qid=1145079160/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-5262137-3347836?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Dairine Redhawk
April 26th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Oh.....try the "Young Wizards" series by Diane Duane. They are basically written for Young Adults but I love them too.

Iiliani Seadream
August 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Pretty much anything by Diana Wynne Jones or Laurel K Hamilton

Bebinn
August 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I liked Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson. There is also a sequel, A Man Rides Through. The review at amazon.com doesn't really do it justice, then again the reviews on that site aren't necessarily all that great. Like most SRD books it's a long read but I like those kind, gives you time to 'get to know' the characters.

Anne McCaffrey has more than one series you might want to check into. Tho hers are more future sci/fi than hidden world fantasy. Her Pern series is excellent and will take quite some time to read all of them if you can get hold of all of them (you can read them in any order you want but some of them are recommended to be read first and some are easier to understand after you are familiar with the series.)

Not to hijack the thread or anything but if I'd read Otherland before Everquest came out I don't think I would have ever played an online game. That series just too real to me.

Kallysti
August 25th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Also if you don't mind YA books, try Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pullman/index.html) series. That's just off the top of my head... will look at my collection once I get off of work (only one more hour to go :p)

Pendraeg
May 29th, 2007, 08:38 AM
The dresden files -by Jim butcher is actually worth a look too, the books are quite a stretch better than the shortlived series (surprise!)

first book: storm front -by Jim butcher

::edit:: Oh, and all the books are part of a larger story arch, but they main plot in every one of them finishes with each book

Bebinn
May 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM
kallysti brings up a good point. The best scifi/fantasy type books are always in the young adult section.

Pendraeg
May 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Isn't Always abit strong a word?

Rumbleguts
November 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Serrated Edge novels which are cowritten by Mercedes Lackey. Some titles in the series are When the Bough Breaks, Chrome Circle, and Wheels of Fire. The Diana Tregagarde books Burning Water, Jinx High, Children of the Night. The books out of the Bedlam Bard series - Bedlam's Bard, Beyond Worlds End, Spirits White as Lightning, Mad Maudlin.

Aerrn
January 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Try Simon R Green's Nightside series

Radial
January 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
What an excellent topic. I didn't know such a sub-genre existed. I think there is a TV mini-series coming out that fits this genre, but for the life of me I can't remember its' name. Could have swore it was based on a book.

Seems like the theme for it was a war erupting between 2 factions of people with various powers. Any one recall the name?

Mondayn
March 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is a secret world book. I suggest it.

Aerrn
March 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Try Simon R Green's Nightside series

The Nightside series is excellent. I also recommend it highly

Zapp Branigan
May 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Theres always the Narnia books.

asquithfeare
January 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Brandon Mull and his Fablehaven series.

Jakkers
January 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Perhaps Terry Pratchets 'The Hogfather' is something that you would find interesting?

Platinu Kismet
January 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
This is my favorite Genre. I hear it called "Urban Fantasy" a lot.

Here are some of my favorites:

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1) by Carrie Vaughn
(The whole series is good. It's about a night DJ who gets infected with lycanthropy and how she deals with it. She's eventually 'outted' but that just makes the series even better.)

Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega, Book 1) by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by Patricia Briggs
(Same world as Cry Wolf, different main character)

And my absolute favorite is a stand alone book:
Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Cowboy_sandy
January 31st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Was going to include some of the previously mentioned books myself. Serrated Edge, only have seen the 4 Lackey stories, I do wish there were more. The Dresden Files, in the middle of that, I like to call it Harry Potter for adults (sue me, lol ) Mirror in her Dreams, never thought if it in this way, but put my vote for it as wall, and its follow up, A Man rides Though, like the idea of a 40k Space Marine transported to a fantasy world.

What I can Add?

Heilein's Job: A Comedy of Justice

And Bradley's Darkover Novels, which at first seem to be pure fantasy and end up Science Fiction (And in that case, I should bring in Rown's Exiles trilogy....Still waiting for the final book after almost 15 years )