PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption

Jacene
May 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
I was searching and browsing through the forums to find this one in here, but nobody has put it in yet. Not necessarily an old movie, its 12 years old. Came out in 1994, there isn't much I can say about the actual story that won't spoil anything. I say "This is the best movie I have ever seen!" a lot (just ask my close friends) but when I say this is the best movie I have ever seen, I honestly mean it this time.

It is about a man, played by Tim Robbins, who is sent to prison for the murder of his wife and her lover, when he first enters the Shawshank prison, the other inmates aren't very welcoming. Betting on who would crack first, among other things. The first convict he befriends is played by Morgan Freeman, "Red" they call him. He is the connection to the outside, he can get you what you want, for a price. Then the movie takes off from there.

Hands down, 10/10, two thumps way way up, a truely great film.

Here is the link to the movie's page on IMDB, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/

togashi
May 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM
They show the TNT version on the weekends every couple of months. Thus far, best Stephen King adaptation to screen, right up there with Stand By Me. Interesting to note, the guy who plays the guard captain is the voice of Mr. Krabs on Spongebob.

One-Winged Angel
May 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM
This is indeed one of the best movies I have ever seen. As far as being the best Stephen King adaptation, I think The Green Mile is right up alongside of this. That movie brought tears to my eyes...poor John Coffey. :(

Now...if they will just start making The Dark Tower into movies...and not screwing it up.

Zarithar
May 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM
All I can really say is this is one of my favorite movies of the 90's. Loved it.

togashi
May 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
One of my roommates from college told me that some friends of his were extras in that movie. Prison yard scenes, things like that. It was filmed at an upstate Ohio prison. Just can't remember which upstate. I think the Toledo upstate, not the Cleveland upstate, but I could be wrong.

asquithfeare
May 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM
It was filmed at the Mansfield prison. It's not really up state, more like upper mid ohio. It's about an hour South west of Akron on the way to Columbus.

togashi
May 8th, 2006, 08:02 AM
It's upstate to me...I grew up in Cincinnati.

asquithfeare
May 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM
hehe, then everything is upstate to you. unless you go to portmouth.

Dravvan
June 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Another piece of trivia; the guard captain in Shawshank was also The Kurgan in "Highlander"

KaiTenSatsuma
July 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
loved this movie, a great classic and i dont really care about all the adaptation specifics.

now if only they can do other books this well.

Phlexonance
July 23rd, 2006, 05:50 AM
Its #2 on top 250 on imdb
Its a good film, but I dont see how it deserves 2nd place. There are other movies which I enjoyed far more.

if youre interested, here is the top 250 chart http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Gravebone
July 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cool 135. 8.0 Toy Story 2 (1999)..
ITS TOY STORY GOD DAMID, its cute, but not near one of the 250 best movies IMO

KaiTenSatsuma
July 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM
ill ask a better quesiton : why is "The Incredibles" even ON that list?
let me summerize the films on that list in one word : Unique

none of those films is the general "good guy goes after bad guy and wins" films, a good few of those films were also unpredictable (hey could you forsee the ending to shawshank redemption?) others were at least well put together and special, with good stories.

im actually suprised episode 3 made it onto that list, that was a hot steaming pile of crap that lucas made on a night after eating beef and crack mixed with midichlorines.

Erling E.
July 31st, 2006, 06:46 AM
Shawshank has always been one of my favourites. Fantastic movie, even though it is very simple and straight forward.

Xenith
August 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
I checked AFI's top 100 (http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx) and it's not there. :( But it made #23 on their Top 100 Cheers (http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/cheers.aspx) for movies that inspire. It's one of those films that I will watch every time I see it on tv. Great movie! :)