PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of Invisibility to become reality?

Zarithar
May 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Neato! :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197026,00.html

Technology never ceases to amaze...

bob the goat
May 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
hehe...I'd lose it the first day I had it.

Andara Bledin
May 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Heh... it's the predator's suit... Cool.

Iyanden
May 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
........Get to de Choppah!!!!!! GET TO DE CHOPPAH!!! GOOOOO NOOOOW!!!

DogEye
May 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM
hmmm but what stops the stuff behind the cloak from being invisible makeing it a visable void of space?

*edit* explination of question... lets say you had a box.... and you wrap the box in a cloak to hide it from... i don't know... hamsters... the box is clearly invisible now, but lets put a box behide first said box repersenting something like a tree or landscape... it is a tall box so, much higher then the first said box... what pervents this "unhidden box" from apparing flouting in mid air because of the void of space the first box (hidden in this cloak) left.

NerfTheWarmech
May 25th, 2006, 05:06 PM
It bends the light around the object, meaning that instead of hitting the cloak and stopping, it is somehow sent to the other side to emerge unaltered, causing you to see whatevers behind the cloak just as if it were there.

That's why cloaks in a lot of sci fi shows and movies tend to have a shimmering effect around them. Because the bending of the light (in those shows) is supposed to not be perfect.

There's a few examples of this in nature. Namely mirrors, or those "puddles" you see on the road on hot days that disappear when you get close. Or a glass of water with a distorted image of what's behind it. Imagine that, only with the light rays being directed completely around the outside of the water, as opposed to through it.

DogEye
May 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM
interesting, but it would have to bend in such away that it compresses the image(not the person) to nill... almost like a de-magnifying glass, so it makes the image small... but if it distorts that image, it might distort anything in close enought range of it and not just the man behind the curtian.... meaning it would work but only if you where not hiding behind a tree to boot... lest that is how i see it

Andara Bledin
May 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
It would have to be an extraordinarily advanced piece of technology to be able to determine what part of the "cloak" is directly opposite the side being viewed.

It would likely have to be rigid so that one side would always be precisely opposite the other. I imagine that something such as fiber optics could per used to perform something like this, with the image being transmitted around the object through the optic cable to show what an uninterrupted view would show.

Woody
May 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I would guess it's an idea much like what we're seen of the predator movies. It's most likely using technology to bend light.

Heat and atmospheric conditions can cause significant distortions:
http://www.southernnewmexico.com/Articles/GeneralInterest/Mirages-opticalillusionsW.html
(Meant as an example that bending light is not far fetched, and can be significant)

DogEye
May 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hmmm sounds more like the holograhms, but the idea is there... if that was the case i would worry about the person useing the "cloak" turning into a human fried chicken or chicken fried human... Batman(the futuristic version) though cartoon, used stealth technolagy but only for short periods of time because the suit would get hot... i'm thinking because of the artical stated it is an actual man made material and not a mechanic system... the fiber optic idea has some thought, but i wouldn't say fiber optic indeed, but a simalar material that can refract light, maybe a man made crystal that can bend light in such a way that it can be made into a type of cloak or cloth, though i doute this stuff would render you completely invisible it may refract enough light to render peices/parts of a person invisible depending on how the light hit it... leaving something to be desired for future scientists to look into. I wish i knew darnit but untill they release the more information(which they probably won't do for a long time because it'll soon be a heavly gaurded military secret *good 90% chance*) i guess i can only guess /sigh

Breandan
May 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM
without getting into the details *coughDARPAfieldtestatFortBenningcough* I can say this- what you see in that article is old, VERY old, and what is actually being developed for issue is so much more freakin' advanced that it is effing scary. They still have trouble cloaking the sound of an APC though *whistles innocently*

Shadowthorne
May 26th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Cool Kinda like the car in the world is not enough?? i think the one with Halle berri

Nulien
May 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
No, that's Die Another Day. Not quite like that though... in that movie, it's described as cameras that project the image they see onto the other side of the car, which probably couldn't work in real life. The real thing is different... as I understand it, it makes light rays go around the object.

Dermiti
May 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
This reminds me of some old news clipping I saw of a jacket that was made of some firber optics that would project the image of what was around it on the jacket. It was really weird but cool. They had a picture of a guy wearing it and u can see it try to display on it what was behind him. Not very good but it gave you the idea on what they where heading.

KaiTenSatsuma
May 26th, 2006, 11:18 PM
i saw this sort of thing a LOOONG time ago.

i beleive it was a cloth with cameras which connected to a sort of outside "TV" on the cloth showed what the camera saw.

i think it was made in japan, only now they are adding a Harry Potter gimmick to it to make it seem like new news.

good find though.

Keudiar
May 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
It would have to be an extraordinarily advanced piece of technology to be able to determine what part of the "cloak" is directly opposite the side being viewed.

It would likely have to be rigid so that one side would always be precisely opposite the other. I imagine that something such as fiber optics could per used to perform something like this, with the image being transmitted around the object through the optic cable to show what an uninterrupted view would show.

The germans did the first serious work on it during ww2. If it works per geometric optics theory then it would not need to know what part of the cloak is directly oppisite the side being viewed. Like enters on one side and bends around what is being concealed then exits the other side. If the material is flawless then the view of what is past the concealed object is also flawless.

Here is an ecample. Ever seen a unsheathed fiber optic cable that looked dark but had a bright light coming out the end? Ever placed a drop of water on the cable?

The therory for invisibilty has been around for awhile and it is going to happen. What has stoped us is how to produce the material. You have to remember that visable light is over spectrum. To have perfect invisibilty is impossible by the laws that apply to light. Example: A CO2 laser sees a brick as glass and glass as a brick. It all has to do with wave optics therory. We can already bend a single wavelength easy. Shooting a laser beam around a corner is no problem. But here is the problem. A material that bends the color blue around a corner will have no effect on red.

That has always been the problem. How do you bend all the wavelengths? Simple answer is you cannot.

Oh a note on holograms. The ones you see in starwars of a free standing image in open air:). There is not even a therory on how to do this. All you have to do is convince a bunch of photons to fly to a certain point then either cease to exist (that will happen when the universe ends) or to change wavelength to a non visible wavelength (that will be 5 minutes after the previous:)).

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I for one don't even think this should be made. The possibility for abuse is endless.