PDA

View Full Version : Starting New MMO... advice?

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Ok, little back story first. I used to play a lot of FFXI a few years ago. lvl 75 whm, 67thx, and other assorted jobs over 30, but quit when it started getting repedative and needed to sort a few things out irl.

That was like two years ago and I'm getting the bug to play some mmo's again (actually, play some old games too, currently playing Diablo II :). But FFXI is outa the question because it would be like being born again, too limiting and frusterating.

I don't exactly watch the news or read any gaming magazense, no cable, and the mags would be waisted on me cause I'm the type to read em once then forget about em... was hoping for some "constructive" advice on which game to look into and or play. I don't think it'll happen :) but i'm not looking for a flame games you don't like list :P

I've heard some good things about WoW, probably be looking into that while I wait for some repliest :) ... (8 hour work shifts of sitting by a computer = free time... too much free time :)

Nulien
May 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I'd probably still be playing WoW if it weren't for the horribly long wait times to log in during its busier hours. I could never wait for it to finish... can't imagine how anyone else could. Aside from that, I had no complaints about the game. So if you're not planning on playing when it's likely to be really busy (or if that problem's been fixed recently), then it's worth trying.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 03:49 PM
my most common play times would probably be 11-6am est time :) I'm a complete night owl.

Shinma
May 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I have a similar playtime schedule. WoW and EQ2 were both very friendly to me while I was playing. Both offer a significant solo opportunity, and both offer servers hosted for "overseas" players, whos peak time lands right in yours.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Good point, had that prob with FFXI as well. But used to it and lag, down time, log in issues... regular place sadly. I'll probably go with WoW, wanted to try it out when it game out origionally, but didn't have a working computer at the time.

So unless I change my mind, should be playin it within next week or so lol.

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
WoW is nice, it's a lot of fun, just be aware of the focus shift at 60 towards raiding or long long hours of PvP farming. There's also rep farming to be done too if you want to "advance" solo/small group. You were capped out in FFXI, so you may or may not be into the raiding thing, just something to be aware of =-)

City of Villains is fun too, but it has no equipment, and no end game, again, something to be aware of. It does however have the best visual character customization via the costume creator, and different powersets in the same AT(Archetype/class) can play wildly different. I've been playing CoH lately, which is largely the same, but lacks some of the cool things that CoV gets, like a overarching story (though this isn't nearly as prevelant as the FFXI one(s)), newspaper missions for those levels your contacts run out or if you just feel like doing a bank robbery, said robberys are also something cool CoH doesn't get(or an equivalent); the upcoming patch "soon" will give Mayhem Missions, which are timed missions that grant you more time as you smash stuff and complete objectives in them, CoH gets no equivalent. All in all, CoV currently has it better off than CoH, but it also depends on which style you prefer, as well as what powersets/classes appeal to you.

It would be helpful if you said what you were looking for in a game, so that we would be able to offer better advice on what you might like!

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Definately into the raiding thing, as for the farming, crafting, I can deal as long as there's music or people to chat with. CoV I've already played, took a MM from 1-40 in 2 days lol. Ninja MM on hardest dificulty can solo whole way only needing help with the hero type bosses :) I've still got hte game lying around, but after 4 mothes of playing it off and on last year I did almost everything there was to do at the time. Like everyone say's, best part of tha game is character creation. Had full list of chars, only played a few :)

As for what I'm looking for specifically, ... nothing really :P like I said earlier just got the old itch for the mmo. group up and kill shyt, spend hours trying to accomplish something only to have a n00b mess it up, exp for weeks only to loose it all trying to help someone... i think i'm crazy :P

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Hehe, WoW seems like a good fit then, especially if you know some people in a good guild who can help you out with company and maybe with the raiding thing later on. You won't lose experience in WoW either helping someone =-p Only penalty for death is 10% durability loss on your gear, and there is no permanent durability loss, so it's just money you lose when you die. WoWs crafting is no where near as painful as FFXIs, even if you go with enchanting (the worst one to level up), but it's also not a huge moneymaker.. raw materials are where the money is at, not the finished product, in most cases. Farming... there will be plenty of that =-p Lots of various reputations to raise, both for raid quests and for solo/small group ones, so there are plenty of things to occupy your time if you're into the options WoW provides =-)

And yeah, MMs are the masters of PvE slaughter hehe. I'm playing an Ice/Kin Controller at the moment, though I had a Necro/Dark MM during my CoV trial.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Sounds good, as for knowing people.. lol probably not :P farming's easy... had a lvl 67 thf in FFXI cause I enjoyed farming (as long as my music was working :) no exp loss... :D durability, meh, as long as broken items don't go away, i never had a prob with durability, and I know they don't in WoW... like I said earlier, been lookin into it earlier. Crafting, bleh, was 78 alch in ff. Not really my thing, and alch was the easy one to lvl :P

I'll probably go buy it tomorrow if I find the time, I only wonder, game... latest expansion should be enough (don't have to buy all the other expansions to get them do I.. that would be stupid so I'm hopefully doubting it) what's cost / month?

:edit: also, does the game allow for progs to run without hastle in background... specifically, media player.

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
$15~/month
No expansions for it yet... Burning Crusade will be out later this year, so just the standard box is all you can get/will need.

And yeah, you can run stuff in the background just fine, and tab out/run windowed with no problems. I use Winamp as my (music) media player, unless you meant "Windows Media Player", in which case I imagine it should work fine, but I wouldn't know for sure, as I never use WMP for anything!

I'd recommend you pick up skinning/mining (or herbalism instead of mining), for some cash when you start out, skinning doesn't need a tracking skill so it has good synergy with the other two, though you can't skin humanoids only animals. But it should help you get some nice cash flow going on, on most servers at least.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
good music solves all boredom problems, me and my 4k songs get along groovy :).

is there a game card, or cred card only.

and i've been using wmp since it was the only media player out there, i'm just too used to it and it works fine for me to use anything else :P

and thx for the advice "everyone" :) anyone wanna help a n00b WoW char later this week :D lol j/k :P but I'll probably be found on within a few days.

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
EBGames has 60 day gamecards for $30 (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=780002).

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 07:48 PM
sweet, good to know, specially since i'll probably end up picking up the game from an eb games outlet.

how bout, how does the exp system work? (:P so much easeir to ask the thread questions... since I can't seem to find that on the dmn site :frusterated:

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
In what sense? Experience is evenly split between all members of the party, with an extremely small group bonus being applied with 3(I believe) or more members... if you're just killing stuff and not doing quests, grouping is a very inefficient method for experience... and even doing quests it can be questionable if it's the best. If you're doing groups in instances however, the experience can fly in, plus quest experience, plus the good drops. If you want the fastest experience possible, it's often best to do solo grinding or group instances.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM
lol,

1. "solo grinding" and "group instances" ... means what?

2. an example of good exp, # wize I guess... i heard once a while ago it was possible to reach 60 within a week,

3. but origionally i meant, how's the exp factored, is it set exp per mob level. or by comparision of mob's level and yours.

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Mob level compared to yours though it does go up some as you get higher level, 30,000/hr+ is real nice, 20k/hr+ is good. Hourly measurements are better than per kill as they give you a real measure of how you're doing at a certain spot.

Solo grinding = you sit in one area and kill things alone
Group instances = you take a group and run through an instance repeatedly

Instance is an area that when you zone into you and your group get a copy all to yourself, like missions in CoX. And with the upcoming patch there will be an option in the group menu to reset instances... as is, you have to disband the group, form with a different leader, and then zone back in to reset it to a fresh instance. Or wait 15(?) minutes.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
sounds good, thx :)

solo grinding made sence by itself, but i didn't know what instances was.

:P any server recomendations, i know I won't know anyone off the start, none of my friends irl play mmo's and most of my buds online from FFXI that I still talk to, were bias' against other games lol

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
None from me I'm afraid =-p Except to stay away from Silvermoon Horde side heh. Kel'Thuzad Alliance side is decent enough, but I only went there because there was a guild waiting for me. I don't have any real good reason for you to prefer one server or another though really!

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
y avoid silvermoon horde side?

DemonMage
May 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Raiding scene there is far behind almost any other server. The large majority of the people are very crappy at PvP. Outnumbered by Alliance like 3:1, yet there's no real "there's less of us so we need to be better at it" feeling anymore that the server used to have.

But like... it took them 4-6 months beyond when most other servers were beating Molten Core to even get the first serious attempts at Molten Core there. So it's a poor place to be as a raider, or an elitist PvPer.

It was once upon a time a great "low" population server, it's now one of the overloaded population wise servers with an insane queue.

DeoFayte
May 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
ah, thx, I'll definately do that then.

lol only thing I'm not looking foreward to in all this is the obsene ammount I won't know. fun fun.

wiccalight
May 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm?bhcp=1

here is a good site if you want to check out different MMOs. I currently play both EVE and SWG ( being a scifi nut lol) and I love the openness of eve and SWG is star wars (kind of).

DeoFayte
May 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I now own WoW, will be installing it probably tomorrow morning as I have work tonight, thx pplz for the help.

DarKatan
May 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Post your Server once you pick one:
Im on Kilrogg, Dunemaul(Horde)PvP, and Nathrezim(Alliance)PvP

DeoFayte
May 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Will do, got back from watchin new Xman movie, got an hour before work, we'll see what I can get done in that time (installing / char creation)

Thereden
May 29th, 2006, 11:49 PM
A good site to look up spells / equipment / quests (if you really get stuck and can't figure out where to go / find a particular mob to kill etc) is www.thottbot.com.

Saved me lots of time and anguish :)

DemonMage
May 29th, 2006, 11:58 PM
http://wow.allakhazam.com/ is nice too

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 12:10 AM
thx, I'll fave them when i get home in 5 hours. Game's all installed and ready for char creation. Probably gonna go with the priest, dwarf / humanoid, haven't decided yet (as first char at least). but I got 5 hours to decide. I was a godly whm in ffxi (even when my gear was horrendous... which was most of the time :D ) so i'ma stick with what I know, healing, till i get the jist of gameplay and etc. that being said, I'm not expecting the healing to be anything like it was in ffxi, i've been reading up on a lot of the abilities last two nights, but i was good at watching health bars / combat chat and casting the right spell quickly. so I'll stick with what I know best at first :)

DemonMage
May 30th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Good priest site here (http://forums.priestshaven.com/) =-p

And for strictly power, I'd go with dwarf, if you can stand how they look they are slightly more powerful than humans due to one of their racial spells being Fear Ward, but it's not that big of a deal really, just if you want the small edge.

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 12:35 AM
kewl, another for the fave's lol. Can't wait to get home, had just enough time to install game, and watch the opening trailer.... that was a tease lol, shouldn't have let anything run past the install.

... fear ward, the prevents the next attempt at fearing the target eh (told ya I been readin :D lol)

I'll take the extra spirit and mana over that, personal preference. so looks like human.

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Whatever server I pick, if they don't let me have my name I'm so trying a different server. Deo and various versions has been my name in gaming since the first game I ever played where I could name myself.

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 05:39 AM
... I have to download each patch seperately, resetting WoW and going into a new bliz updater for each one... oh joy... that's kinda sux

DemonMage
May 30th, 2006, 05:41 AM
And they use a Bittorrent patcher, which is a good protocol in general, but sucks for MMORPG patches, especially the implementation they use =-( Thankfully they get mirrored pretty quickly at various places for direct download.

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 05:42 AM
yea, noticed that the speed's decent, but this leaves me stuck at the comp logging in again after each one till i've got em all lol XD

DemonMage
May 30th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Could also try grabbing the ones you need from GamersHell (http://www.gamershell.com/news/29125.html).

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Deofayte is born on Thrall server... ph34 m3 4 1 am n00b :)

... and just in time, for server's to go down for maint... ah it's good to be back...

junior
May 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Servers go down every Tuesday for weekly maintenance. It's annoying, but it's one of those things you're going to have to get used to.

Tristate0999
May 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Just to let you know before you get too involved with your human priest...many guilds are looking for Dwarf (or Dorf :)) priests. However, if you like the soloing aspect of games and are looking to upgrade gear through PvP instances and the like...go human. Otherwise don't bother with the human.

DeoFayte
May 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Deofayte - 9 Dwarf Priest

No guild , Thrall

Deofayte - 12 Dark Elf Druid

no guild, Khaz Modan

1 am n00b h34r m3 r04r

after one night :)

Quseio
May 31st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Everquest corpse runs are a thing of the past nowadays

If your into mmo thats hard everquest has to probably be the hardest. the sheer amount of time a quest known as Breakdown in communication takes is incredible but extremely worthwhile as it grants you the greatest augment in the game well over all it doesnt add a focus like last blood augs but it can fit in anything unlike the last blood or bazu augments.

Everquest has less griefing, theres only 1 pvp server. It has so many zones its staggering and you will likely never see them all let alone do every quest.
wow does have a better pvp game i admit.

from people i know whove played wow they say wow has alot of teenagers eq is mature in comparision
Also you never have to wait to log in never except for the rare patch day or login server crash which you might see once a month

Monster missions are a great way to experience lore from the mobs point of viewand great starter gear(although they do get boreing after the 12th time youve done the same mission)

Andara Bledin
June 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Having played both EQ2 and WoW, I really can't see the difference in overall maturity of the playerbase. Honestly, the only factor that seems to have an effect is that WoW seems to have more people in one place at a time, thus the collective IQ is lower. (crowds generally highlight the worst in people and minimize the best)

As for griefing, if you don't want to deal with it, both EQ2 & WoW have it where you can completely avoid ever being a target. I'm currently on a WoW PvP server and actually don't have a lot of trouble with greifers. Then again, if I get ganked, I tend to move on and do something else, so it just rolls off. Even on a WoW non-PvP server, you can still run heavy PvP in the Battlegrounds, which can be a lot of fun, even when your side doesn't win.

EQ2 has a more robust interface, but you can conquer WoW's interface with a custom UI. WoW has a much better map setup, with the ability to look at the maps of zones you are not currently in. EQ2 has you locked on the zone map you are currently in, even when the zone you are in is two maps wide. Makes it a little difficult to navigate and much harder to give directions to guildmates. EQ2 has a more robust auction system. WoW crafting is rather less tedious.

From an atmosphere point of view: EQ2 has two factions that openly hate each other and have absolutely no love, and yet, you can go into the opposing city with only the risk of being thrown out. It's very apathetic. WoW has two factions that have an uneasy truce that is ready to fall apart at any moment, and the guards from the opposing faction will usually attempt to kill you on sight. I've always thought it was a little overboard since there's supposed to be a truce, but it does make things more exciting.

And last, but for some, not least: EQ2 has the Exchange servers, which allow you to sell in-game items or levelled characters for real-world money through the Station Exchange. If you have the time and interest, you can level a crafter to max in some trade skill and then sell it. When I was still playing there were people on our friends list who make quite a chunk of change through the Exchange. The going rate for a maxed crafter was about $100. And if you don't have the interest in that, a rare find or two can at least fund your gameplay for the month.

DemonMage
June 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Quseio was talking about EQ1 not EQ2 =-p

Quseio
June 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM
Yah eq 1 theyll kill your assin the wrong city( like cabalis or neriak or oggok or grob) if you dont run for it eq1 .(cabalis is esp nasty as they have plenty of shadowknight guards who harmtouch.) heck i think iskars are even kos in part of there home town the necromancers dont like many people at all

EQ 1
has a much more maturer player base alot of times people will help if yur not a whineing newb i just gave a newby mage a craqpload of stuff when she paid me fer pet item summons .

Yes i should have been more clear but to me there is only 1 Everquest.

Maps everquest will soon allow you to see your group on it also you can easily download very helpful maps from mapfiend.

Everquest one will keep you busy for years and there will be stuff you never even heard about that you havent done. How many peole nowadays have heard about the blue steel sword quest in neriak.

The coldain vs giant war is a incredible quest its really kool u get to command an army of coldain and defend their home from a massive army of giants

DeoFayte
June 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Moved to diff server, was too few low lvl's, so decided to join a server that was new.

Deofayte 24 Druid Night Elf

The Dark Fang guild Demon Soul server

I've already done 2 instances, VC and BFG definately enjoying the game.

Nulien
June 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Level 24 already?? Have you even slept? :D

Edit: Guess other people just play more actively than me... I played for over a month, and my highest character was 18. *shrug*

DeoFayte
June 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
lol yea I've slept just fine, I tend to level fast in almost everything I do. The lvl 24 char was 18 hours of gameplay in 2 days (I had those days off after working for 12 I wasn't going anywhere lol, relax time finally :D) I also have a lvl 10 rouge now, Deomonic, same guild and server, played for 3 hours yesterday.

Darkov
June 5th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I miss the days where I could log on and get lost in a MMO.. somethings just missing these days for me and I always log out within a couple of hours and go do something else.

WoW is definitely a good game, the journey to the top is fantastic, though I don't think much of their raiding, pvp is always fun too if you don't take it too seriously.

DeoFayte
June 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
lol, so far I've had bad luck when it comes to pvp. Every time I run into horde, I'm alone, and there is either 3-5 of them.. or a lvl ?? XD

ran into 3 today thou, lvl 25 druid, against lvl 21 org mage lvl 24 tauren druid, and lvl 25 undead warrior.. killed 2 outa 3, war finally got me. I was happy with that lol.

bulldog
June 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
World of Warcraft is no doubt the best MMO on the market, but being the best, one of the biggest, most laggiest and populated ones too... EVE Online is also good, but it gets boring... "A spreadsheet with pictures".

Tathaur
June 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
World of Warcraft is no doubt the best MMO on the market, but being the best, one of the biggest, most laggiest and populated ones too... EVE Online is also good, but it gets boring... "A spreadsheet with pictures".

I beg to differ.

I've played DaoC, planetside, WoW, everquest, CoH, Saga Of Ryzom and EvE, and no game comes even close to the adrenalin rush of a battle in EvE (Versus other players, not NPCs).

EvE is also the only MMO on the market where your actions actually shape the world; If you kill that uber mob in WoW, it respawns in a hour. If you and your corp invade and take over another corp's space, it actually has in-game repricussions. And the best part is, it's all player made. Real politics, real warfare, real rivalaries, etc. WoW cannot even begin to compete with that.

People in EvE still talk about that time Evolution split off from the Fountain Alliance back in 2003, and the ensuing civil war in Fountain and the emergence of Evolution as a superpower.
People in EvE still talk about back in late 2003 and early 2004 when the Curse Alliance was basically your evil intergalactic empire, and their war against the Stain Alliance, and what a monumental war that was.
People in EvE (and hell, all over the online community) still remember Guiding Hand Social Club's awesome infiltration, and eventual assasination and robbery, costing the victims $16,500 worth of in-game assets.
The whole Guiding Hand story (http://eve.klaki.net/heist/)

That's what makes EvE awesome. Player made politics, player made history, a player made world.
Doing something awesome in WoW at most nets you a new shiny item, doing something awesome in EvE shapes the world.

...Plus, fights are the biggest adrenalin rush in online gaming - It's the only game which makes me go all shaky in combat, even after two years. The only thing which ever came close was a well-coordinated galaxy drop with a good outfit in planetside.

bulldog
June 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm not saying I agree with what I said (just so you know, that was a quote)... but that's a view from many people.
edit: Planetside is a r0xx0r game too. Bloody amazing... it's free as well.

reploidx
August 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
two words Guild Wars. Its great, you don't have to deal with campers and modders and all the other asshats, and there are also lots of PvP action. oh yea ITS FREE!!11!!1! >.< as soon as you buy the game, you get to play it as long as you want online for no monthly fee (and the world is huge) plus factions just came out and it adds some stuff to the original game as well as give you a new continant to explore. (it can be used as a stand alone game) The game doesn't get repditive as quickly as EQ and FF11 and WoW, and the only time you have to deal with annoying little kids is in towns. Just adding my two cents.