PDA

View Full Version : It's a Star Wars joke. (6/28)

Woody
June 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I've been playing with the idea of buying an iPod for a while now. But, until they opened an Apple store in my local mall, I'd never acted on the desire. But, when I went in and saw exactly how small a Nano was I was sold.

Funny thing was, when the tragically hip Apple guy brought me my Nano laden Apple bag he said "you won't have a life for the next few weeks". I laughed it off, and now, here I am a few days later... a slave to my dark lord of the music devices.

I've been moving the best of my music collection onto it during down times from other work. It's amazing how much music you can squeeze onto those damn things. I only bought the 2 Gig version, but it seems to be plenty enough space for my ecclectic yet picky tastes.

Oh, and it's only black in the comic for Vader-esque effect. I actually bought a white one.

Takara
June 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I told him he'd be a slave to the Nano. I think after I bought my iPod mini I was in music La La land for about a week. Then it was playlists. Then it was iTunes. Ah, musical commerce how I love thee.

krazedshadow
June 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM
The nano isn't the master you are..... /me hides his old school ipod slowly reaching 40gb's....

dukrous
June 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I laughed and laughed whenever my brother talked about his iPod the same way. It was humorous. Then I bought one. Then I bought a car kit. Then came the bluetooth headphones that also worked with my cellphone. But there were all accessories, I told myself.

No...the truth is, I'm my iPod's accessory. But I'm fine with that. Yes....fine...

Azrath
June 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
"Only a master of eMule, Darth..."
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Katuyah
June 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Nanos are SO cool. My dad went nuts and got each of us one of the white 2GB ones for Christmas this past year, and I gotta say I've LOVED it so far.

Some people want the huge ones so they can put their whole music collection on there, but, the way I see it, I'll never be able to listen to more than 2GB of music at any one time...and I have no desire to look at movies on that tiny little screen.

Set-up did take some time, but now that I have my iTunes linked to my PayPal account, it's easy enough to search for what I want and just buy it.

WOOT on the Nano, Woody!

Thorne
June 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
never knew those things could be adicting, i guess its like MMO's, [you] never think [you'll] be addicted until [you] get it and play for a few weeks, then the evil monkeys have you entwined in their grasp! muahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!

Using "u" instead of "you" is a violation of Easy Way #11.

Vixxen
June 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
*cuddles her black, 4 gig Nano* My precioussss...

Myrsith
June 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
*frowns at his 7 year old portable cd player....*

Furyfire
June 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Just... don't sit on it >.>

He won't be a master anymore.. he'll be cut in half like Darth Maul meeting a lightsaber >.>

Endymion
June 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Eeeek! Nano's and iPod's...

*Bows her head in shame of her 512 MB Muzio*

Well at least it works!

As long as the battery lasts...

boghira
June 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I have resisted the temptation to get an iPod for the longest time, but when I saw the Nano add on TV I was sold. My bf however had a different idea and got me the 30 gigabyte video iPod (in black - oh they are so cool!) for Christmas. At first i thought how in the world am i going to fill 30 gigs worth of stuff on that thing - my main hardrive on the computer doesn't even have that much room. But then I put a couple of movies on there and was really amazed by the quality of the picture. It may not be that comfortable to watch something on the Nano but the screen on the video one is actually big enough to watch something without popping your eyes out. So now I have another entertainment option on my commute home from work (I take the subway). The only downside is that the video seems to suck the battery dry prety fast.

Doc Twisted
June 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Just pray yours doesn't break down post-warranty.

I've had several friends that now have compact, stylish little pocket-bricks because their hard drives went out after the warranty expired... and Apple has NO post-warranty support. Once the iPod dies post-warranty, all they'll do is offer you a 10% discount on buying a replacement.

Woody
June 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Post Warranty failure is a concern for any piece of technology. It doesn't make much sense to focus commentary one item.

---

A Warning for this Thread: (or, the answer to "why was my post deleted?")

If you don't like Apple products, avoid the thread.
If you make claims about the life of a product in regards to its warranty, then substantiate it without rumor-mongering.
If you support a different music delivery method, fine. But this isn't the thread for it.
If you're anti-establishment, or anti-corporation, take your complaints elsewhere; they don't belong here.

Eriol
June 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Just pray yours doesn't break down post-warranty.

I've had several friends that now have compact, stylish little pocket-bricks because their hard drives went out after the warranty expired... and Apple has NO post-warranty support. Once the iPod dies post-warranty, all they'll do is offer you a 10% discount on buying a replacement.
I don't own one, but from what I've heard, what's in the regular Ipods (at least what USED to be in them) are regular, run-of-the-mill laptop hard disk drives. What people were doing was opening them up, imaging the drive (there's some "base" information on it), then copying that to a new larger hard drive, and putting that in there. It would void your warranty, but considering you don't HAVE one anymore, if that's the only problem... could work, though you might have to find an image to write onto a hard drive somewhere (which may have questionable legality, I have no idea).

bulldog
June 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
My cheap one from the Sunday market works fine. :(

Chant
June 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I'd like one, but at this point, I can't really afford it :(

Anyhoo, if I could afford I'd probably end up upgrading my computer instead, even though I'd really like to have a nano

Tigerr
June 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I love my iPod, I don't have the nano though. I have the 30Gb version with the video playback. I have music, audio books, pics and short movie clips on it and I believe I still have 26Gb free.

Audible.com is a great place to get audio books for it. They download right into iTunes.

Best part is my wife had it engraved on the back :)

cecilus
June 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM
What i don't understand is the obsetion with apple. the first couple ipods that came out i found very annoying and hard to use, plus overly expensive. I bought myself a creative 20 gig, its easy to use, has better battery life, and was cheaper.

What am i missing?

FallenPhoenix
June 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I got a black 30gb video a couple weeks ago before a trip. I was halfway thinking it would be left on my nightstand except for trips, but now it's my constant companion and I'm looking at buying an adapter to control it with my car stereo. I also thought the video capability would be barely more than a novelty, but now I'm converting some of my favorite movies.

The two things that made me go with an iPod instead of any of the other players:
A) video playback
B) very intuitive and easy to use interface (in my opinion)

My dad has a Creative player and it's great, but after using a friend's iPod, I liked it better for me.

Zapp Branigan
June 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Ive been quite happy with my older 20gb ipod, I doubt I'll ever get it even half full put I dunno if I'd want to trade it for a ipod mini, the old ones just seem to be built solid.

kelatora
June 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I love my Nano, I have a black 2gb one that my mom got me and my brother for chirstmas, their nice ipods i love my, Bow before the black Ipod Nano's

Eleriel
June 28th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I used to have a first Gen iPod.
then it broke down. (had it for two years before I realized that the firewire card didn't recharge the battery when I connected it to my computer... losing the battery while you're sending over songs is a good way to destroy the harddrive in it).

now I'm seriously gimped with a small 128mb mp3-player. :P

Lusitano
June 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm reading all this things about members that say they are slaves to their iPods and now I'm starting to feel tempted to buy it. I want to buy something I never even had the slightest interesst in. And that's just creepy.

Maybe I have one of those SDM fetiches of being dominated. I just don't know it yet :confused: .

Woody
June 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't really feel like I'm a slave to my Nano as I am to my music library. Sifting through it all... finding my favorite songs. Deciding what's the best of the best. The 2 Gig is supposed to hold around 500 songs which is about all I feel I have the patience for.

Taks has a Mini and has so many songs on it it's hard to find the song you're looking for sometimes.

evangelon019
June 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Last summer I was perfectly happy with my little 5GB Zen Micro...then that evil evil skittles contest came along...in which I ate about 4 times my body weight in skittles trying to win one of a 100 coveted Ipods with Darth Vader laser engraved on the back, well I didn't win one so I went via Ebay and $380 later I was the proud owner of a 20gb one with Darth and the skittles logo engraved (along with the "special edition" case). Fast forward 8 months and I got my gf a video ipod for her birthday while I sit here with my old 4th generation ipod but hey it works.

Coffee
June 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Well, here's hoping it makes no claims about being your father.

DraxtonSmitz
June 28th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I LOVE my nano. But good thing for me, I'm not addicted to it!

Viktor
June 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I recently purchased a Motorola SLVR phone with iTunes. I've been doing a lot of music downloads / cd copies to my home computer so I can play my music while I game without getting up to sift through my CDs while I'm in the middle of something. Well, having bought the phone and using it as an iPod more often than I use it as a phone, I'm seriously considering getting a 30g iPod.

Can only store 100 songs on the phone and I find that it's not enough space anymore :evil:

powersurge
June 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Don't forget podcasts. :D I'd love to hear a GUcomics podcast. :)

kjdking
June 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM
i have been reading these forums for a while and finally decided to start posting :p

Anyway personally I'll never buy an ipod... and its not because its an apple product, I have no problem with the company. And its not because its a bad product, which I'm sure it isn't. No my reason for not getting one is my PSP I have become a slave to it, first i got the 512 memory card for it... and had a few MP3's and a couple games on a SNES emulator on it... and then i started watching video's on it... and got the 2GB memory card, then a logitech case, then some nice headphones ect ect ect... I now watch video's on my way to and from work while on the bus, right now im going through all episodes of stargate SG1... halfway through season 5.

anyway enough of my rambling on, its my master now..

P.S. for those of you who have video ipod's check out Videora i use it to convert videos for my PSP but it also has options to convert to a format the ipod can play

Filan Fyretracker
June 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
all electronics have crap post warrenty support. ive allways had this tinfoil hat theory its to help the box stores sell those infernal service plans.

MSH-Hitman
June 28th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I got one for my birthday, spent a day transferring 5gb of my music, 3gb went onto my Ipod nano, and that was pretty much it.

Dhassia
June 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Funny this thread popped up. I bought a iPOD 30 G video for my daughter and being the gadget freak I am I had to have one too. I bought both in white but of course had to find a website to get the screen covers so it doesn't get scratched and then well I HAD to have a skin. WoW, there are so so many skins out for anyones tastes, interests, etc. Ordered two skins (hearts for me a designer purse pattern for the daughter), love them. I love it.

Lirren
June 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I got an iPod for my birthday last weekend (the 30 gig one with video) and I'm absolutely in love with it. I've already downloaded my entire music collection (over 300 songs) onto it and spent hours and hours making playlists and moving things around into an order that I liked. My husband emailed me at work on Tuesday with a note that said "Quit fiddling with the iPod and get back to work." The funniest thing about it was that I WAS fiddling with the iPod at the exact moment he emailed me. When I talked to him later that night I asked how on earth he had known and his answer was "Honey, you've been fiddling with that thing since I gave it to you. It wasn't much of a stretch..."

-Devil-
June 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
haha! ... i have the larger version (2 of em actually) .. an older 20 gig that does time in my car (full time) and then the newer 40 gig ... that i mostly carry with me when going to thinks with my wife that i dont care about ... it has a mix of music , music videos .. and tv shows (i currently have no type of cable or satellite at all at my house, the internet and my ipod are my only sources for syndication haha) ...

when i got my old 20 gig yes for about a month i was hooked and that is all i could do ...

Gnomish
June 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I told him he'd be a slave to the Nano. I think after I bought my iPod mini I was in music La La land for about a week. Then it was playlists. Then it was iTunes. Ah, musical commerce how I love thee.

my sister has a mini (got it for christmas on my cousin's best buy discount, cause they had been discontinued then), and her and my dad spent about a WEEK ripping all her CDs to their PC, and putting them on the iPod.

I want a big ol' 60gig one, but J's best friend keeps having various problems with them (he's on his THIRD one since Christmas, and 2 weeks ago was when he actually got the second and third ones!!!)

Filan Fyretracker
June 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hey Woody now that Ipod is in a way a character, is he gunna play taps when a fly meets the zapper? /grin

naura
June 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM
my hubby who wouldn't touch an apple product with a 10 foot pole bought a nano....

ohhhhh the power of the nano

Pasha_Bigdog
June 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Hehe, i love my Nano too :-) I got it for b-days just few weeks after it came out. Really cool! Everybody have em. I travel alot on buses and like 50% of people in the bus always leasining to the nano! And it is pretty strong. I abused my pretty badly (got drunk, got in a fight and rolled down the freaking hill with my i pod on my arm!). It all scratch up and stuff but still playing :-) Plus i bought that thingy to wear on my arm for ipod. I recommend for anybody. I mean pockets are good but that thing is the best.

Flex
June 29th, 2006, 12:09 AM
How terribly uncreative those mp3player-making folks are.. I bought an iRiver (see?) a while ago to be able to listen to my music during long car rides.. Well, only reason I didn't buy an iPod is because of the limitations.. e.g. need software to upload music, can only delete / not copy from (is that actually true?).

End of the story: My car radio doesn't have a cassette deck to plug in the damn thing.. :/

182GIR
June 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM
My boss got a video one a few months back and at the time I didn't understand why she always had it on her/listening to it... even while heading off for meetings!

I finally bought a Nano about a month ago... Got it off an auction site where I accidentally bought two instead of one, but a work mate bought the second one from me.

We've both been addicted since they arrived, and I now understand what our boss was on about.

There's one music collection now, instead of 3 separate ones

Drax99
June 29th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Lol, I worked for apple, up til they oursourced my job (grrr). I can tell you its not just the ipod. All apple products are manufactureed with a secret substance that causes severe addiction and loyalty in those that handle the products. Apple fans SCARE me.

janin
June 29th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I feel so tiny...I recently bought just an iPod Shuffle...and named it 'Moth' when I installed it, no reasoning, I just did :D

It's only a 512 but it holds enough for my trips to work and back by bus, something like 17hrs is good enough for me :)
I've never been too picky trying to find a track to listen to, if I don't want to hear a song it's not on 'Moth'.

If I'd had the money I would have bought a nano though, maybe one day I'll have a 'Moth II' :D

Koori
June 29th, 2006, 02:23 AM
(joke)For the last few days i cannot maintain contact with my wife... Why oh why i bought Nano for her?

TBH I'm playing with it as often as she is :-)

Muindaur
June 29th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I've got a 1gb Creative Zen Nano. Its not much capacity but it gets the job done for my mainstays with enough space for me to alternate the current cravings for tunes. I mostly used it for trips and at college waiting for a class. I have that ood tendency to half an hour early for my first class of the day.

Who else has the earbud tangles from their pocket?

Shadow
June 29th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Meh... I'm an iPod Nano owner myself and while it's still the prettiest mp3 player out there. I'm not really a corporate apple whore. I use it alot sure. I use in the entire day at work; I use it to commute to places.

But I'm not buying all the periperals, i'm not browsing the itunes store endlessly to find that one song (I have my own solid collection). Apple wont see another dime from me unless this one breaks.

The only complaint I have is the ridiculous scratchsensitivity of the dang thing. Ipod Nano Black 4gb here, cost me an arm and a leg though :D

kflan
June 29th, 2006, 03:20 AM
End of the story: My car radio doesn't have a cassette deck to plug in the damn thing.. :/

You can buy FM transmitter adapters. They plug into your headphone jack and then broadcast on a certain FM frequency (some allow you to select from several different frequencies). Then you tune your FM car radio to the frequency and you have your tunes.

Czar
June 29th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Slave to the iPod...

But... But... I'm a FREE MAN!!! (Right?)
I bought my first MP3 a year or two back- and like my Walkman, my Discman, and my MD, I was hooked for a week or so.
Then, about a year ago, a friend gave me her Mini. (She'd gotten hooked on a bigger model- she's a bigger Wannahave than I... ;))

I was -as expected- hooked for the first week. No surprises there...
Then it went into a second week, and a third, and a fourth...
And, like Woody, my addiction mutated. It turned from simple music, to playlists, to moodmusic, into...

And then it died.

I returned it to Apple thinking- ah well- the end of a nice run- it might even be fixed *shrug*

One hour after I left the shop I felt the first pangs of withdrawal- a day later I was antsy because I had nu music to listen to- and when the poor thing came back- well- had been replaced- I was waiting in line like a drooling, slavering idiot...

"GIMMEH MAH 'POD!!!"

*shrug*
Ah well... I'm iNormal now... I mean- it's not like I depend on it for my iLife...

Right?

Foozii Fuzzitail
June 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
what would be the better investment for which kind of iPod? i have an average sized collection of CDs i usually listen to (under 200 total), and i dont want to buy that many songs from iTunes. as for accessories, all i really need are good headphones. any suggestions? also, on iTunes, do they have Alan Parsons Project? dont wanna special order, but hard to find around here.

i have no trouble buying from Apple. my first computer was a mac classic, ooh i rocked at sim ant! took over the house, got the cat...

*edited cause my fingers were not awake yet, and my spelling needed help.*

Flex
June 29th, 2006, 06:24 AM
You can buy FM transmitter adapters. They plug into your headphone jack and then broadcast on a certain FM frequency (some allow you to select from several different frequencies). Then you tune your FM car radio to the frequency and you have your tunes.

Yeah, I've heard of those.. but I always wondered whether the quality was any good. But then I think I'd be alright.. the transmitter'd only have to broadcast over a range of what.. 1 meter or something..

Mhn, I should really get one.

/e:
I always get the new pages.. should start a collection.

tere
June 29th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I hardly have 200megs of music on my computer. Plus they don't allow them at work.

jennicat
June 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM
My husband and I both got the 20g "old-world" iPods for Christmas 2 years ago... his "broke" immediately after the warranty was up, so he got one of the new flashy video ones... then a friend cracked open the broken one and plugged in the loose disk cable... so now we have three ipods... even the broken one is still rock solid.

Word to the wise though - BACKUP your music selection. My itunes PC died a miserable death a few months ago - the disk ate itself - now I'm faced with putting 19 days or so worth of music BACK on the new disk. /whimper. Luckily almost everything I had was on the ipod, but when I get new stuff that I want to put on the device, I find myself reluctant to blow away what's already on there, since I'm still too lazy to rebuild my original music collection.

Syche
June 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I bought a lil ipod-esque MP3 Player, I have a gig, my wife, wanted the 512meg one, SOOOOoooOOoooo We have spent the past few months slowly converting our CD collection to MP3, and got bored with it, I have a stack of NIN that I need to convert.... dern that pesky patience :>

-Me

Mephron
June 29th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I had a Creative Nomad, then a Nomad III (what happened to the Nomad 2? Did it just vanish?), and then when the 3 died, I went for an iPod. I bought it reconditioned from Apple's website.

....and now, I'm looking at my next laptop being a MacBook Pro...

R.T.
June 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I actually got a really good deal with my iPod. A local bank was giving away a free 1GB nano if you opened a new account. The only catch was that you have to open it with $1000. After you got the nano, you could take $999 out and they couldn't do a thing. I actually had the lady that opened my account tell me to take out the $1000, loan it to a friend, and have them get one too. Its a good idea, but I don't have anyone I know that I would trust with $1000 for more than a day.

I totally agree with your comments on the iPod. A bunch of friends got one for christmas, but I didn't really see what the big deal. Most of them had no idea how to get the music on it, and didn't know how to use the interface, so I had to help them get accustomed to it. Now that I have one, I love it...especially since it was free!

PS: The bank still has the offer going on til the end of July or until they run out of iPods. Anyone in the East Tennessee area, you ought to check it out!

Masamunae
June 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I too bought the 2 gig nano, and I can't get enough of it. It is extremely rare to see me without it now.

Just as a little tip. Audio Books are your friend :)
Typically 1/4 of my iPod is dedicated to "learning" things, and the rest is rock and roll :)

Just as a little side story, I am an avid dancing enthusiest. Never taken lessons or anything, but me and my friends just go out dancing a couple times a week and having been doing so for the last couple of years, I've learnitated a thing or two. So the one day whilst walking around the busy streets of Toronto the "iPod song" from The Caesars comes over my headphones and so I just stop walking and burst into that style of dancing like you see on the iPod commercials. I dance for the duration of the song, with a crowd now watching me, and as soon as the song ends I walk away. It was hilarious to see the looks on their faces, and i'm sure someone got it on their video cam :)

Takara
June 29th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I have the Monster Car Adapter to listen to my iPod Mini in the car. While the quality isn't amazing, like a Bose home theatre system or something; the road noise would keep me from enjoying it to that extent even if the sound quality was fantastic.

I tried the Belkin one without much success, but have even taken the adapter on road trips and it does fine.

Roft
June 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
This post may enlighten some people. Please read.

Before others decide to get an iPod or before you decide to replace your old MP3 player, go check out the devices at http://global.cowon.com/. These devices are far and away a million times better than any MP3 device out there. They have MP3/Video player that gets 35 hours of battery life. 35 HOURS! They are also recognized as general storage device by windows (like an external HD) so they are extremely convenient for transferring files and such. No need for interface software when you need to make a quick file transfer.

I have the Cowon A2. This sucker has a 4in screen (16:9 aspect ratio) and with the 3d suround sound + the audio chip they have on board that fills in the missing top and bottom frequencies taken out by audio encoding. The Video playback is about 10 hours, some times I get a little more out of it. The Audio play back is 18 hours. This device is the sweetest portable media center I have ever had. My friend has the IAudio X5 and it has a 35 hour battery life, video or audio it doesn't matter.

iPods are great little toys, but if you want a truly fleshed out device, check out Cowon.com. They make na Ipod mini style device (the IAudio 6 I belive it's called) that totally rocks the specs off the iPod mini.

Again, I am in no way putting Ipods down. They are great little toys. I just can't handle being forced to use proprietary software and such and prefer more options with my little toys.

Bluetooth
June 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I recently purchased a Motorola SLVR phone with iTunes. I've been doing a lot of music downloads / cd copies to my home computer so I can play my music while I game without getting up to sift through my CDs while I'm in the middle of something. Well, having bought the phone and using it as an iPod more often than I use it as a phone, I'm seriously considering getting a 30g iPod.

Can only store 100 songs on the phone and I find that it's not enough space anymore :evil:

I have the Motorola Rokr E1 and have the same 100 song limitations... but I am looking forward to the Motorola Rokr E2 thats supposed to be coming out it uses standard SD cards and will accept up to the 2GB SD card also the phone does away with iTunes(yay) and uses a Linux operating system on the phone as well

Harhm
June 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I actually use my PSP for my portable music/movie needs. It is admitedly a bit big for music but I can tolerate that in exchange for the ability to watch movies at a decent size.

But our anniversary is comming up on July 12th and her birthday is on July 18th so I have bouht my wife a iPod nano 2gig and I am currently deciding which docking speaker system to buy for her so recommendations are welcome.

staronstage
June 29th, 2006, 10:58 AM
My sweet sweet 20Gb iPod is dead! :( It lasted around two years before the hard drive went bad on me. $99 to fix it. Well worth it, but it does make me thing about buying a new one instead.

FallenPhoenix
June 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Again, I am in no way putting Ipods down. They are great little toys. I just can't handle being forced to use proprietary software and such and prefer more options with my little toys.

First thing I did when I got mine was google for ipod hacks. The battery indicator, hate it, it's gone now :D Seriously considering just loading Linux on the thing for fun.

Steelflight
June 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Creative Zen Nano 512Mb player here. Don't need much, doesn't need a lot of the fancy add-ons, and it just uses a cheap AAA battery and an IEEE Mini USB to connect to the compy. Sexy music, shuffle feature, good software support... just as good as an iPod.

Not that one IS bad, as I kinda like the prize of the year-long WoW Comic Contest--a shiney black Nano with the Blizzard logo engraved on it. Think it'd be too easy for Woody to win one?

Tainda
June 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
My daughter turned 13 last week and my parents got her a nano. I have now asked for one for my birthday lol I mean, why should she have all the good stuff??!! Mom needs stuff too! :p

Lirren
June 29th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I really would love to get some audio books on my iPod but OMG they're so expensive. I could go to Border's and buy a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for 5 dollars, but iTunes wanted $35. And all of the other books I looked for went for anywhere from $30 to $55 dollars. My God. $55 dollars for one book? That's insane.

Roft
June 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I really would love to get some audio books on my iPod but OMG they're so expensive. I could go to Border's and buy a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for 5 dollars, but iTunes wanted $35. And all of the other books I looked for went for anywhere from $30 to $55 dollars. My God. $55 dollars for one book? That's insane.

If you are looking for free audio books I have a few sites I use to load up on books & poetry. You should be able to find the audio book for Hitch Hikers Guide cheaper than that. To be honest, I had the audio book on tape from ages ago, so I didn't feel guilty downloading the audio book from a torrent site. ^ ~

The Librivox.org reading of “The Call of The Wild” is a personal faveorite. I am a sucker for a good story with a dog as the main character.

http://www.librivox.org/

http://literalsystems.org/abooks/index.php

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/

http://www.gutenberg.org/audio/

Ska
June 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I don't like iTunes, so I got a Creative Zen Sleek. Since pretty much no stores carry it, I had to special order it. It was worth it though. Creative Media Source is so much better. :)

Trimen
June 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I own the Video IPOD 30 gig. I loaded 300+ albums into it. I love the fact that you can rate your songs and build a smart playlist to randomly choose the best ones.

Though the 2 week vacation I took from work to rate my songs, download the album cover art, and create playlists may have been a bit excesive.

Cool thing is I was able to put away my massive music collection since all 25gigs of it are now on my computer and Ipod. I also have 300+ gigs of anime, feature films and Animated shorts (Gotta love those Pixar shorts you can D/L on itunes) all in IPOD format. I actually installed a extra hard drives to store all my media.

Right now I have the Incredibles loaded onto my IPOD.

OMG I am such a slave to my precious.

milK
July 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
from now on I will look differently at my shiny black nano. Waiting for it to choke me if i even think anti-apple..

oh boy what have I gotten myself into.