PDA

View Full Version : Hero Classes in WoW?

DarkWyndre
June 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hey guys,

For whatever reason I got thinking about the hero classes that Blizzard was promoting during the beta for WoW. Since this community generally seems to be quite knowledgable and sane, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them? Are they still planned, were they scrapped?

I've been really out of the loop for the last year away at a school where I can't play online games or anything due to blocked ports, so I really haven't kept up with WoW at all. I did a google search on it but it was tons of old and/or useless info.

Best Regards,
Dark

Steelflight
June 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I can answer that...

No word about it yet, unfortuantly--but there's some interesting ideas floating around. Poke around the forums--I saw a great idea for Racial Talents, f'instance.

Lithale
June 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
The idea is on the back burner. From what I have read, they don't have a clear idea on how to impliment the concept.

Most information that you will find about it is purely speculation by the community. As far as Blizzard is concerned, it may or may not happen.

Zarithar
June 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I don't have a link to the post, but one of the CMs (Tseric I believe) basically stated that the idea was dead in the water.

Tristate0999
June 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Blizzard has ambitions to get Hero Classes in before the expansion pack; however, several issues, most of which aren't known to the community, got them pushed back to hopefully to the expansion pack. Now they are simply something that Blizzard may or may not implement. They were in "On the Horizon" for the longest time, then for no explination they were removed. So who knows if they'll ever get put back into development. If you've ever played a Blizzard game you should know they don't rush anything...so they could be seen within the next couple years.

Ska
June 29th, 2006, 01:00 PM
There are basically 3 theories going on about the "Hero Classes" of WoW. None of them have any more validity than the others, and they are all logical.

1) Hero classes will be implemented before Burning Crusade (BC from here on) or in a regular patch after BC (so availible to people with and without the expansion pack).

2) Hero classes are going to be availible with BC. Blizzard is keeping it quiet until the NDA from Closed Beta is over as a "kicker" to entice more people to buy BC as its release date gets closer (currently, BC does not have a release date. Unless they start beta REALLY soon, expect it around Xmas of next year).

3) They have scrapped Hero Classes all together. Although Blizzard won't come out and say this, Hero Classes appear to be so far off that this is a distinct possibility (especially considering that Hero Classes were supposed to be ready on release if you listen to the talk from like 2 years before release).

All Blizzard has really said is something along the same lines of player housing: At this time we are unsure how we will implement that system. When we figure it out, we will give you more details.

People have repeatedly asked if they are releasing another class for BC, which they have said no. They have said more or less that until they are extremely happy with the current classes, they will not be adding any. You can view that either way as it pertains to Hero Classes.

It's all pretty loose speculation at this point.

Jkun
June 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
On the same topic, anyone wonder what happened to battleground siege weapons? They were also on the "in the horizon" field for quite awhile, before mysteriously vanishing and never being heard of again. >;S

Tristate0999
June 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
The seige weapons are in the same state as the Hero Classes at the moment. Since there are problems with the current BGs they will most likely not be implementing anything that could possibly give more problems. It's asked about every once and a while, but everyone is given the same answer: "We do not have any information to give you at the present time." So who knows where those stinking things are at.

DarkWyndre
June 30th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. My idea of Hero classes was always that you would have to complete some long and very difficult quest and then once you decided to go hero class, you'd have to level up all over again from level 1 as the new "hero" class.

Whatever it is, it would have to be hard/tedious/time consuming enough that it wouldn't end up like SWG where everyone is a jedi, IMHO.

Endymion
June 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well I think it's a smart move by Blizzard not to implement anything new to complicate the classes any further when they aren't working as they should be at the moment. There's enough whining on the WoW forums as it is. ;)

junior
July 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM
I don't have a link to the post, but one of the CMs (Tseric I believe) basically stated that the idea was dead in the water.

This is true, but he was apparently corrected shortly thereafter by a Blizzard employee with a little more knowledge on the subject.

Still, it's pretty clear that there is currently no timetable for Hero Classes release.