PDA

View Full Version : The answer leads to more questions... (9/1)

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 06:46 AM
Last night before heading upstairs to begin the arduous task of digging through gaming news to find the basis for a comic, I said simply "Man, I wish I had a joke idea." To which Taks replied, "You could draw pickles with hats". And, for as ridiculous as it sounded, I couldn't deny the logic of it. For, indeed I could draw pickles with hats.

The problem would only be in finding a reason for said pickles doning the above stated chapeaux. (That's French for hats.) It was an enigma. And, after some thought, it didn't seem right to completely unravel the mystery but rather to let you decide for yourselves what about the idea of wearing a hat might have been considered fun for the average pickle.

But ultimately, if you have questions... ask Taks. I drew the pickles in their hats; my work here is done.

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM
All must love the friday before a three day weekend.

All in all, I laughed, then I pondered, and I'm back to simply wanted to leave work.

Maybe there is a pickle roadio in town for the weekend?

ancarett
September 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM
Well, now that you've posted this on your forum, some ambitious marketing type will probably try to sell this game idea on the basis of fan interest and all that.

So if a "Pickles in Hats" game comes out in the next few years, I'm totally blaming GU!

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM
Sweet.

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Ooo! It could be like megaman, only with hats instead of weapons. And you would have to solve adventure puzzles with the different actions you could do with the different hats on.

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM
When you're wearing the cowboy hat, you have access to a rope. When you're wearing the construction worker hat, you have access to a ladder. When you're wearing the Cheese Hat, you have access to Brett Favre.

I could get behind a game like that.

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 07:03 AM
All I can say, is that I have played worse.

BTW - being from WI, I'm struggling to regain control of my breathing I was laughing so hard, I just have this image of a #4 hurling the pickle over obsticles.

Anxst
September 1st, 2006, 07:03 AM
Remember that Pickles are just cucumbers soaked in evil. So, this is just evil...with hats. :)

Maybe it's the only 3 hours of sleep I got (damn you Vael! damn you to hell!) but this made me laugh more than just about anything else this week. The downtrodden expression on the Cowboy Pickle's face is awesome. His weariness of the situation is exquisite.

Binidj
September 1st, 2006, 07:04 AM
I fear you.

Yaw
September 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Let's not get into the ramifications of cucumbers and evil juice. That being said, I want the pickle with the pocket protector. He is true evil. That and he can fix everyone else's computer for the fee of three gherkins.

* - Note that with a Pocket Protector, the hat officially becomes your choice of gamer or hardware logo stamped on the front, like a baseball cap.

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 07:10 AM
It's gotta be a hat.

Anxst
September 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Let's not get into the ramifications of cucumbers and evil juice. That being said, I want the pickle with the pocket protector. He is true evil. That and he can fix everyone else's computer for the fee of three gherkins.

* - Note that with a Pocket Protector, the hat officially becomes your choice of gamer or hardware logo stamped on the front, like a baseball cap.

Somehow I imagine him in a little pickle car, like the Geek Squad guys.

Yaw
September 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
So if a "Pickles in Hats" game comes out in the next few years, I'm totally blaming GU!

The people who buy that game are the ones who probably think Deer Hunter 4 deserves an award for being "most creative".

What's next, Devilled Eggs in Tutus?

Somehow I imagine him in a little pickle car, like the Geek Squad guys.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that image when I said it. I don't feel so pathetic now.

Paprika
September 1st, 2006, 07:13 AM
Pickles with hats....... a game to relish :-D

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation !

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 07:14 AM
ROFL!

Could I play with a pickeled paladin instead of a normal pickel.

Yaw
September 1st, 2006, 07:14 AM
and what's more ironic is your name goes well with Devilled Eggs... Mmmm Paprika!

Dreeya
September 1st, 2006, 07:20 AM
hehehe this one really struck my funnybone with the thought of the "cowboy"pickle being burt reynolds and the "cop" pickle being jackie gleason can we say "Smokey and the Bandit" ala pickles? LOL

vildail
September 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM
I think everyone just likes to say the word "Pickles", tis a funny word. :)

Aren31
September 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Is the Ogre who sells pickeled people still in Freeport in EQ1?

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
I certainly hope Boomba is still around....it's been years for me, so I have no clue.

ellric
September 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
this all strangely reminds me of this merchant in eastern freeport... who would sell pickled human... and pickled gnome...

BTW: i've been reading Gu Comics since the very first day. And check the site at least once a day since. I LOVE your work woody!!!

and now here i am. a new member to the GU community! ;)

cheers!

shanachiba
September 1st, 2006, 07:45 AM
(first time poster) Can't . . . resist . . . temptation . . .

"In a world torn by strife and angst, there are some who stand up to protect the rights of vegetables everywhere. There are . . . the Pickles In Hats.

In the small town of Gerkin, everything was peaceful and calm until the dreaded Luncheon Council came and swept the land with a flood of despair and mayonaise. Now it's up to the Pickles In Hats to save the world before lunchtime and the entire town of Gerkin is devoured."

Well, it could happen! :)

LaughingOtter
September 1st, 2006, 07:46 AM
It's the Village Pickles!

Yaw
September 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM
(first time poster) Can't . . . resist . . . temptation . . .

"In a world torn by strife and angst, there are some who stand up to protect the rights of vegetables everywhere. There are . . . the Pickles In Hats.

In the small town of Gerkin, everything was peaceful and calm until the dreaded Luncheon Council came and swept the land with a flood of despair and mayonaise. Now it's up to the Pickles In Hats to save the world before lunchtime and the entire town of Gerkin is devoured."

Well, it could happen! :)

Epic... grand.... I love it. :)

Xenith
September 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
The makers of Mr. Potato Head ran out of potatoes so they used pickles? heheh
I just imagined two pickles decided to play dress up to keep from boredom while on display at the fair. But I'm weird anyways. :D

Bobthepenguin
September 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
I love it! Totally random comic from the brain of Taks. Well done!

Katuyah
September 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM
LOL...I love it! :)
I can just imagine a pickle running around thinking he's Speedy Gonzales wearing this huge sombrero that's taller than he is...AND bigger around...so all you see is this huge hat sliding around all over the place. Andale! Andale! IIIIIIPAAA! IIIIIIIIIPA! Rapido! Rapido! *giggles*

LONG LIVE TAKS! :)

Yaw
September 1st, 2006, 08:14 AM
Reminds me of Larry in the Dance of the Cucumber thinking about that ^^

Lyrann
September 1st, 2006, 08:14 AM
the coments about GeekSquad made me sneaker and think "But we can't wear pocket protectors" sigh maybe I have been a geek too long...

Sean Newboy
September 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
It could be the next Worms, a silly game i truly enjoyed.

Shanachiba, that was just perfect. Someone make sure the disk ships with the old game Burgertime.

Lyrann
September 1st, 2006, 08:18 AM
I see pickels in hats more as a lemmings style game

Mei
September 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM
*cough*

Woody Hearn.......

Pickles.......

A forum......

Hats......

Pickles with hats on a forum.

September one 2006...

Pickles with hats.....

--------
I like the pickles!

Clipse
September 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Funny Man Once Said... "Some People Like Their Cucumbers Pickled"

Tigress
I'll be darned...you CAN draw pickles with hats!
Who knew.....

togashi
I think you just ran into your next running character, Woody.

And on a side note:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these muthaf***in hats on these muthaf***in pickles!

Doesn't fit.

whtknight89
September 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Is that a refrigerator I see in the background?! I knew it! The light DOES stay on when you close the door!!!

Clareon Wolfeyes
September 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Or someone could make a Village People as Pickles game.

KaihnEshin
September 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Love it Woody!!
I have a wedding to go to this weekend and I'm gonna have pickles in my head now ... I was thinking a game more ala Sims than puzzle type. Love the randomness, and thanks to Taks!

Eccentric_Woman
September 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
LOL Gotta love the simple stuff. For sometimes the funniest things are simple like pickles and hats.

Good one, Woody!

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Who says the refrigerator is closed? They didn't exactly get the hats out of the vegetable drawer.

Vallorean
September 1st, 2006, 09:51 AM
I've just envisioned "BurgerTime" going 3-D…pickle cops chasing the burger chef…or the cowboy pickle trying to “hog-tie” him! :D

whtknight89
September 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Who says the refrigerator is closed? They didn't exactly get the hats out of the vegetable drawer.

Have they been raiding some child's toy box?! Where's the GI Joe beret or the Barbie sunhat? Maybe those would be more fun! LOL

Myrsith
September 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Lol at first glance I thought something along the lines of: What the....
Then made some funny faces somewhat like: o.O
So I clicked the explination link to see which game producers were making a game about pickles, just cause it was an excuse for some lame inuendo.

but as it turns out, tis the powers of companionship!

*grin*

Woody
September 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
For those curious about the benefits of putting on the Cheese Hat:

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/gu_20060902.jpg
(It'll be in the archives tomorrow.)

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Sweet!

I would say go Pack but this season is a wash.

Has anyone ever eaten pickles and cheese?

Clareon Wolfeyes
September 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Pickles, cheese and bologna yum.

KaihnEshin
September 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM
hahaha
Ahh the wonderful world of pickles with hats...

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Pickles, cheese and bologna yum.

I hope your serious, but know I am going to try it.

Clareon Wolfeyes
September 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
I am always serious about CHEESE.

whtknight89
September 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
I hope your serious, but know I am going to try it.

I LOVE a slice of american cheese, dill pickle slices, and mustard on bread!! My wife thinks I'm NUTS when I make that sandwich. Other times, I'll take a block of cheddar and cube some up and eat it along with a couple of whole dill pickles.

Ever try a dill pickle swirled in honey?! Yummy!

madrain
September 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Pickles with Hats sounds like a nice idea for GarageGames and the Live Marketplace.

Kallysti
September 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Mmm, pickles & cheese... I hope the little hats don't get stuck between my teeth. :p

lakoda
September 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM
I LOVE a slice of american cheese, dill pickle slices, and mustard on bread!! My wife thinks I'm NUTS when I make that sandwich. Other times, I'll take a block of cheddar and cube some up and eat it along with a couple of whole dill pickles.

Ever try a dill pickle swirled in honey?! Yummy!

So many 'interesting' pickle things to try...the honey sounds really good though.

Ang3lKitt3n
September 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM
ya know those commercials for the little skate boarder dudes that are really small for some reason I see the pickles doing that....vividly...but then that could be the little amount of sleep I got and now being hyped up on coffee.

the other idea...sims with the pickles. Yup gotta spawn little baby cucmbers and regularly bathe them in vinegar and depending on how you dress is your career choics...oh I can just see the cowboy on one of those mechanical bronchos...I haven't figured out how he's staying on but after having been steeped in the cartoon Veggie Tales for years and years I suppose that my logic bypasses that little problem.

So many 'interesting' pickle things to try...the honey sounds really good though.

In this board session I'm either surrounded by men or pregnant women...you guys will eat anything I swear lol

garac
September 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
The whole concept just amused me woody, and I have to say the whole pickles in cheese heads concept made me laugh

Bobthepenguin
September 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am a woman. I love pickles. I AM NOT PREGNANT!

Gee whiz. Every time a woman wants a pickle, everyone around her starts asking if she's pregnant. I'm tired of it. I just like pickles.

On another note, Woody, you don't keep little hats in your vegetable drawer? I do. I guess that's wierd.

Gnomish
September 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
i'd figure a pickles in hats game would be like mr. potato head... but with pickles.

great comic woody

TheBigDawg
September 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM
i think of it as an MMO, you choose the type of pickle ( kosher dill, dill, garlic soaked etc..) then the type of hat ( cowboy , policeman) and go to it...

hmm.. wonder what type of a world a pickle would live in? CoH, WAR, Warcraft??

it boggles the mind :D

JJFraggs
September 1st, 2006, 11:48 AM
Sweet!

I would say go Pack but this season is a wash.

Has anyone ever eaten pickles and cheese?

I have once, but only because my friends and I were at one of the local Hooters restaurants and they were training a new waitress. When she brought us our food, she put mine down and looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, I accidentally got some cheese on your pickle." She said it all remorsefully and I don't know, maybe we were stupid, but we got a huge laugh out of it. Anyway, I ate the cheesey pickle.

wineaux
September 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
You obviously are not aquainted with Arlo Guthrie's "The Motorcycle Song", and more importantly, his later recording where he discusses the "significance of the pickle"!

Why indeed hats on pickles? Where else would a 4 foot cop with a 5 foot gun hide a microphone, but under the hat of the pickle!

wineaux
September 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Also, always remember, that if you can have Cow's with Guns, then you can have Pickles with Hats...

CeruleanDragon
September 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
You know what the strange thing is? When I walked into the office today (2nd shift, get in at 2pm), I smelled something odd as I settled into my cubicle. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. So I ignored it and started reading my email and daily web comics... when I came to gu... I figured out the smell. Pickles. It smells like pickles. Very vinegary pickles, like someone spilled pickle juice from kosher pickles somewhere.

What a very odd coincidence.

Well, I should say, "...what *a* strange thing is...", there are many strange things in this forum thread...

Xenith
September 1st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Woot Brett! Thanks for the pickle cheesehead with Brett! That's so awesome. May I ask why he wants Favre to do his taxes? I guess cause he has no hands? Thank you very much for the double giggle Woody. Hope you have a great holiday weekend! :D

Wineaux, thanks for linking the Cows with Guns. I haven't seen that in a while and that gave me more giggles! hehehe

Hurray for laughs & giggles! Every day should be so fun! :)

Coffee
September 1st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Enough is enough! I've had it with these mother f***ing pickles on this mother f***ing thread!

**Joking...Hey! Stop hitting me!! **

Lerisanne Eastywynd
September 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
...In a strange coincidence I read an article last night on Boing Boing about pickles... and about how to make them glow.

They stuck a pickle on one of those vertical hotdog electro-zappers... creating a nice cheery gamma-radiated glow.

The Pickle Hulk...! But no hat tho, just some purple pants.

Takara
September 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
I could not be happier about the outcome of this comic.

7 Pages of talk about pickles in hats.

*squeals in fits of giggles*

Nandian
September 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
erm.. Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.

Smelleye
September 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
BOOMBa the Big is still at the same spot in the new and (imo) imporved freeport he still sells(exactly) the same things pickles of every race know to norrath ... i am betting drakkin pickles will show up soon ...:) mmm Drakkalicous:D

and i cant belive no one mentioed Real life ... of pickles !as a game hehe

Oh and heres a weird pickle recipie i perfected Fried pickles!! yes i know it sounds like heresy to any pickle fans out there ... but you know those nasty run of the mill dill pickles you get in the store they make mighty tastey fried pickles, just add some butter and pan fry Yum very tastey.

Baby kosher dill pickles are the best mmm Pickles are not evil only yucky nasty dill pickles are... kosher dill( the whiteish kind) are worlds different.. i SWEAR if i see anyone badmouth pickles again im gunna chuck a cuke at them...:mad:

Coffee
September 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
I like my pickles cucumbered.

wineaux
September 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Mmmm... Fried pickles... Dill pickle slices battered in a southern fish fry, deep fried, and then dipped in ranch dressing... Now I need to go to Story's up the road and get an order to go for tomorrow afternoon!

Diogenes
September 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
The game is a sure-fire winner! I'm sure there are publishers (http://horizons.eiinteractive.com/) out there who could be convinced to buy it.

Kyle Voltti
September 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
I still remember my friend in high school standing up in the middle of class and declaring "Sex with pickles is fun!" then sitting righ down...... it shut the class up fer sure......

Furyfire
September 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM
.. I want pickles now... ;.;

Twyll Oathtaker
September 1st, 2006, 10:45 PM
When you're wearing the cowboy hat, you have access to a rope. When you're wearing the construction worker hat, you have access to a ladder. When you're wearing the Cheese Hat, you have access to Brett Favre.

I could get behind a game like that.

Kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy X-2 but with pickles.. My wife said that they needed a arch enemy then came back with a tub of chocolate ice cream and said "now i'm ready for em". Come on Oct 27- Nov 4 it's getting crazy with the cravings around here.

Woody
September 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM
Believe it or not, I've only played the FIRST final fantasy.

oa127
September 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM

Same for me, I played the first Final fantasy for 5 minutes, died, and never played it again. And this was only 18 months ago. Then I turned on minesweeper and played that for about an hour trying to beat my beginner score of 9 seconds.

Lusitano
September 2nd, 2006, 02:32 AM

I am also currently trying to beat that one. And I'm not talking about any kind of remake, I'm referring to the very first 8-bit FF for the NES. And I probably would have already beaten it if I hadn't restarted it three times...

TAntoneus
September 2nd, 2006, 04:32 AM
I'll add that a pickle would make a great villian in one of those inane Veggietales movies. Larry-boy, in an all new sequal is splashed with vinegar and transformed into the hideously pickled Saltface. Complete with salad-shooter and Al Capone hat. The parents would shell out sixteen bucks for the DVD and the kids... they'd eat it up.

Gipper
September 2nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
>< Been reading the comic for a couple-few years now, and I've never felt compelled to respond...until now.

Favre? Favre? In a GU comic?

instant classic :p

Breandan
September 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
**Joking...Hey! Stop hitting me!! **ker-SMACKITY! ;)

Kyle Voltti
September 2nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
only one place to go now.... Pickles in pirate hats

dadwen
September 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
After the Game is made you then need.....

"Pickles in hats the Movie!!!!"

Kyle Voltti
September 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
and Micheal Bay could do it and make them all look like zuchinies..... cause that's realistical

Ninetoes
September 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
All of you people frighten me in a basic, primal way. I rather enjoy it!

Meat
September 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Woody, I am now going to build a shrine to worship you. I personally still own and play it for my NES, and I have the PlayStation remake as well. I was extremely disappointed with the remake because they didn't give the option for original graphics/sound/translations though (They are Imps not Goblins, nothing will ever change that)

Kikaro
September 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Pickles in hats are indeed awesome. But they look so sad..

What kind of hats can we work with here...

OH! I know! CLown hair! Lets see a pickle with clown hair! and a big red nose!

Crissa
September 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
Suddenly... Pickles! (img under link) (http://img.sheezyart.com/art/medium/86/861654.jpg)

...Well, I thought it was funny.

-Crissa

Yeah, yeah, a link doesn't exactly transmit the joke, does it? Besides, the first time it was just erased. So much for sharing a spouse's humor. Half the point was that it was a logo on a t-shirt. Anyhow, you do know you can remove tags from users, right?

Kallisti
September 3rd, 2006, 07:58 AM
Okay if you want Pickles in Pirate Hats I counter that move with Pickles in Ninja hoods!

This whole thread is just too surreal for words!!! :)

Albatross, getchor albatross here!

Sean Newboy
September 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Albatross, getchor albatross here!

This is now officially a nerd topic, we have a monty python reference.

**begins humming "Im a Lumberjack" song**:)

Lusitano
September 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
I believe "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" might be more suited to the insanity in this topic ;) .

Paprika
September 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM
and what's more ironic is your name goes well with Devilled Eggs... Mmmm Paprika!

An old gaming name I started back inthe days of PSO on the Dreamcast, sort of carried it through all the MMORPG's since ^_^ The only drawback has been the number of players who though I was Czech, Bulgarian, etc as paprika is a highly used spice in those countries.

On a pickle related note Give me chutney or give me death ! ......... I'd prefer the chutney, it goes well with a ploughmans lunch ^_^