PDA

View Full Version : Fruits Basket

Bobthepenguin
September 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM
So, my darling sister, the Treefrog Pirate, has been telling me about this series for what feels like 100 years. Yesterday at the bookstore I finally caved and bought the first two books. It's my first Manga series ever, and it is utterly adorable! I actually had to call my sister to figure out which way to read it (Manga is read from right to left) but once I had that down I really got into the series. I especially love Momiji! He turns into a bunny! So cute.

Anyway. Has anyone else read these?

Raxtull
September 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
My introducion to Fruits Basket was withthe anime about 5 or 6 years ago. I saw a $2, 2 episode disc for sale at Gamestop that Funimation had made to promote the series (since shoujo anime hasn't historically done well here) and tried it out figuring that if I don't like it, I'm out a whole $2 instead of $40 for the full disc. I loved it, and quickly went out to get the full first disc. Then, I hunted around to find the fansubs because I didn't want to wait for the rest of the discs to get released to watch the rest of the series.

So, fast forward a couple of years and the manga fad is in full swing (good for me, since I was already a manga reader) and I see the Fruits Basket manga available, so I began reading it and have kept up since. Though it is really annoying that after 26 anime episodes and 13 manga volumes, there is still no explanation for why Akito is such a colossal asshole.

Lirren
September 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I adore Fruits Basket. I also started with the anime, which was so very cute. It's been a while since I've actually liked a heroine in anime, since they usually tend to completely grate on my nerves, but Tohru was just adorable. I have a total Tohru/Kyou fixation, and Momiji is my favorite character. I actually got teary when we found out what happened with his mother.

I just started reading the manga, and I've heard that the manga is finally about to finish in Japan. The artist is wrapping up the story lines now, and they expect the volumes to only go to 23. She apparently wrote five different endings and let the editors pick which one got published. I hope eventually they'll let us see all five of the endings.

Bobthepenguin
September 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Wow! 5 endings. Very cool. I'm only through book 2, and didn't know they made an anime.

Raxtull- Akito is a jerk because Akito is secretly a woman. My sissy and her friends found that on one of the official internet sites. Not sure if it's true, but it would make sense why she sent Hatori's girl away.

Lirren
September 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Akito is a girl in the manga. Akito is a boy in the anime. It's very confusing. I think it was just easier to leave Akito a boy in the anime because it takes a long time and a convoluted story line in the manga before you find out Akito is actually female. They couldn't work that story line into the anime, so they just left him a him.

You should watch the anime. It's really good. Great music, very well-animated, although there are a few minor changes in the characters (such as the Akito thing and Shigure is nicer in the anime than he is in the manga). I do personally prefer the Japanese voices to the English dub, but then again, I do that on 99.9% of all the anime I watch (I hate dubs). I know you can get it on Netflix, so you should be able to find it on eBay or Amazon for a decent price if you prefer to purchase it instead of rent.

Bobthepenguin
September 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
So, I just finished book 6, and the Manga budget is dry. Now I have to fidget until I can get 7. I can't believe Momiji's mommy would reject him! He's so cute!

Bobthepenguin
October 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Grrrr! I finished 14. I want them to hurry and bring more over! Any news about when 15 will be here?

Lirren
October 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Volume 15 is scheduled to be released December 12. Or that's what my sources say.

Bobthepenguin
October 10th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Hooray for Dec. 12! My daddy found the anime online, so I get that soon, too! Hooray!

Lirren
October 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think you'll really enjoy the anime. I'm actually re-watching it this week, a couple episodes at a time. Oooh! And if you get a chance, watch this AMV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6BBIG4s5ek
It's a Fruits Basket music video set to Evanescence's song Missing, and is really well done.

Bobthepenguin
October 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
WoW! I haven't gotten to watch the anime yet, so I missed some of the nuances, but that video was AWESOME!

Bobthepenguin
October 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Finally got to watch about 1/2 of the anime. HOORAY for Momiji! I'm looking forward to watching the rest. Check the zodiac section of my costume trunk for all my fruits basket friends!

Lirren
October 24th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Bob, since you liked the other video, go look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX9n9zYcYeQ

It's to the song "Anything You Can Do" from Annie Get Your Gun, but it's really funny! You'll love it!

Bobthepenguin
October 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
That was awesome! I can't believe Yuki wins, though! Yuki always wins. I want Kyo to win, and marry Tohru and be happy.
HOORAY! There's a whole list of them off to the side! Now to retreat into my Furuba laced happiness!

tuckerpb2
July 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM
I have read all the manga and it is better then the anime. Also the real reason behind Akito being that way is not that he was a she. In the manga it tells you the real reason why everyone hated the cat.

Akito was that way because she felt that if the curse was broken she would be alone, and no one would want to come to see her. There was already one person that had broken the curse, but she was so scared that she begged him to hid the fact he no longer turned into the rooster and had him promises never to leave her side. The reason Akito was forced to live as a boy was that where her mother was pregnant with her. she was so jealous of any other woman getting any attention from him, she demanded that no matter what the child would be raised as a boy or she would terminate the pregnancy. So to save Akito life he swore to raise she as a boy

Well there is more but I want you to read the manga to see the happy ending.

Bobthepenguin
August 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Wow!
OMG!
Really? He broke it? How? When? Where?
Gaaaahhhh!!! If only I could read Japanese!
I agree that the books are much better than the show, but that's true of absolutely everything.