PDA

View Full Version : Interesting MMO Rants at AGC

naladini
September 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I came across these yesterday: Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157195.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6157195 and Lum's full rant: http://www.brokentoys.org/2006/09/06/this-is-my-rant-there-are-many-rants-like-it-this-one-is-mine/

In particular, I enjoyed the comments about Blizzard's patch process. It would be a shame if other MMO companies tried to emulate that behavior...

Sabby
September 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Fileplanet has had a bunch a new people signing up. It's stuff like this, that keeps 7-11 in business (how many people pay extra just to get in and out quick - when they need to just pick up a gallon of milk? Lots do.)

I personally wouldn't mind if more and more companies did this ("you need our patch - go here to download it.") Heck,I signed up for Fileplanet and have been paying for an account for a long time.

Nanaki
September 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
What Blizzard did was take the good innovative features from numerous games, picked out parts of features that worked and used them. Blizzard may have not been innovative in any particular feature, but they were innovative in that they got it all together for a well-done execution.

The fact that Blizzard put time, effort, and a buttload of heart (and money) into World of Warcraft is the reason why it is so successful, like it or not.

naladini
September 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Actually, there's more to WoW's success than that. Raph Koster transcribed a speech from Rob Pardo, article is here: http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/09/06/agc-rob-pardos-keynote/

Lenardo
September 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM
every mmo dev should take the key parts of rob's speech, make huge posters from them and post them all over their offices-and send them too their publishers as well.

Especially the parts about shipping too early and the fact that NOTHING will ruin your mmo/income for the next 5 years or so faster than poor quality of game at release.

every flop mmo that has released has suffered from almost every key that he said would make a mmo not be a great success.

wow hit his keys and well 7 million users world wide= he did SOMETHING right.

Aku
September 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM
wow hit his keys and well 7 million users world wide= he did SOMETHING right.

I would not quite say they hit his keys, rather they came the closet to them.

I too liked the comments about blizz's patch system that drives people to buy fileplanet subscriptions. But overall I have to say Gordon Walton's comments were the best. It seemed like a bunch of buckpassing, like "Why are MMO's so risk adverse?" Well you guys work in that field so why don't you change it? (COuld it have something to do with the development costs of a good MMO? I think so)

Lenardo
September 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM
heh i have no problems getting the patch on patch day.

i know people that DO though and i usually burn anywhere from 20 to 100 gig of my webserver's monthly bandwidth allotment hosting the patch for those people who look to me for said patch.

naladini
September 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
every mmo dev should take the key parts of rob's speech, make huge posters from them and post them all over their offices-and send them too their publishers as well.

What I think will be most interesting is how much copy-catting goes on from these philosophies to help secure project funding, but without a full understanding of them.

eg. Does 20 quests become the defacto standard in every quest game moving forward? In WoW's universe, the number seems to make sense, but in a different game, it might be too much or too little. Blizzard arrived at that number with some fairly sound logic, will other developers copy the logic, or copy the number?

What I actually admired about the article was their willingness to keep a fast levelling curve in the face of some rapidly advancing beta testers. Keeping a proper perspective, knowing that you want your game to extend far beyond a beta test market, can be tough thing to do, since a very casual gamer is unlikely to be beta testing. If you sculpt your design too much in the image of your beta audience, you can limit the chances for success beyond that audience.

Lenardo
September 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
eq2 uses i think like 50 or so for their quest log
vanguard mumble mumble (same as wow currently unless recently changed)

etc

as to the leveling curve, PERSONALLY for wow i would have liked each level to require about 20 to 30% more exp each...