PDA

View Full Version : Website Traffic HELP!!

Triv
December 4th, 2003, 02:13 PM
I currently have a domain that I am using to build a website (its not finished yet) but I have had a website before and it had poor results. I never got any traffic and i don't know how people will find out about my new site (when its complete) any advice?

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Advertise. But pay for it, don't go around spamming. I've never used them before, but there are meta tags that make your site easier to find on search engines, too. I think that's what they do, anyway..

Woody
December 4th, 2003, 02:22 PM
The best way to drum up traffic is to carve yourself a niche. Meaning, make sure you kind of fill a role that no one else does.

Example: There are plenty of webcomics, but how many of them are typically MMOG specific, single panel, 5 days a week, and colored?

The key is to provide content in such a way as to linger in the memory of the people that visit, and make them want to share your link with other people. Word of mouth is key, since spam and advertisement is pretty much useless.

Another thing to keep in mind is, why would someone come back if they're waiting forever for new info? So you HAVE to stay on top of content and keep it new and fresh and frequent!

Other considerations are layout and design. If your layout is cumbersome, people will hate trying to navigate your site, and won't come back... up to date content or not. And if the design is hideous, they'll laugh, and spread the link, but only so other people can laugh at you as well. Then you'll simply be a flash in the pan, and will NEVER be able to drum up traffic again, because everyone will associate you with that initial HORRIBLE design.

Avoid cliches. Sure, fill the niche but people dont like being generalized, grouped, or labelled. If you try too hard to fill a niche, you'll end up ostracizing the very people you're trying to cater to.

And finally, be passionate about what you do. There's no point in trying to maintain a site whose main content no longer appeals to you. That ends with you updating less frequently and eventually your reader base will disappear.

Triv
December 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM
thanks, i'll keep that in mind

once im done i'll post it up here for all of you to see :)

tell me if you have anything you guys would like to see and i'll do my best to fill it

Ciarin
December 4th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Also, when designing, make sure you keep in mind the different browsers. What looks good on one browser looks freaky on another with certain code. And if you use flash, it's a good idea to have a non-flash version.

flash is hella tight, I just got flash MX and I'm gonna convert my websites to flash.

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 4th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Im still waiting for my keenspace app. to get through. EEEE comics!

FuzzyBear
December 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Flash is pretty, but it's deadly to dial-up users, which is why when most sites use flash for a splash page (intro page before the index/homepage) they place a "skip intro" link on the splash page, outside the borders of the flash movie.

You use flash on all of your pages, and the dialup users drop out on the second or third click.

Same is true for anyone without the right plugins installed.

Granted, unless you deal in E-Commerce, things like design, usability, bandwidth and presentation are your only major issues, as you don't have to fear losing a sale from mom and pop who are still using netscape 3 or IE 4, but making your site available to as many people as possible never hurts.

The only exception I could see to this are things like websites for a movie, take Underworld, for example. It has to be flashy, because it needs to pack a punch for the movie it promotes before it's out of the theaters, at which point the site is mostly useless.

eh.
Just some rambling on my part.
If it helps you, great.
If not, feel free to discard it, in the end, it's nothing more than my opinion, professionals everywhere will have different ideas on the "right way" to do anything.

Frodric
December 5th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Backups. This is so important to good site prep. Regard your site as something you could lose any second. Either to hostile action via the net or hardware failure. Invest in backups to CD-RW at the least for a small site. Do all your development work offline and just push the changes to the new server. Have a backout plan in place for changes that are made. Basically be organized and keep asking yourself what would happen if you lost everything and had to rebuild. What is the best way to organize the site so it can be pushed quickly. What layouts are uncluttered and permit fast access to details. What needs to be live data and how do I enter it.

I'm not a webguy, I'm just a guy who spends his days doing server admin work in a very large international hosting company. And everyday I see fortune 500 companies with no clue about the basics. The most beautiful and perfect site in the world is useless if you cannot restore or replicate it on a moments notice. Also form really needs to follow function whenever possible. This means police the links on your site and try and keep them as up to date as possible. If you link to 25 websites you need to click those 25 links at least once a week and find out for yourself that A) they still work and B) that the owner hasn't redirected them elsewhere for whatever reason.

I'm rambling a bit but you get the idea I hope.

Serresrelic
December 6th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Actually using flash as an intro page is a pretty bad design now adays. With the introduction of Flash MX and now Flash MX 2004, flash can be used as a front end application more than just an animation tool. Many of the clients that we do work for now are professional websites that use Flash as the actual UI for the entire website. With the advances of the capabilities of actionscript and now actionscript 2.0 it is extremely easy to create a flash web application that is actually smaller in size than a comparable html site.

And worrying about plugins really isn't too much of an issue anymore as Flash 6 as about a 98% saturation currently.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all if that's how I come off, I work as a programmer for one of the top flash development studios in the industry so I like getting into discussions about the topic. I've even had the privilage of being the technical editor for a couple different flash dev books that have been published over the last couple of years (ok, now this is just me tooting my own horn).

Of course being drunk doesn't help either 'cause I kind of start to ramble.