PDA

View Full Version : that awakward feeling...

DogEye
November 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
well, my life is in a slump, my recovery from what has been a constant assualt from my CF... amplified by my grandma getting colon cancer(yes she's fine, they removed it and think they got it all) and needing major recovery time that and they are going to give her kemo(or however you spell it) to make sure it's gone(yea for swatting flys with dynomite! but really i'm happy they are, i mean cancer can become a real monster if you don't take un-nessiary steps to kill it dead)
so basicly grandma's out of the line up and i'm more or less benched with the need to gain weight or else... which is an interesting delima because i suck at meal planing(always forgeting to leave meat in the refrigerater to thaw) and normally don't have the energy to put effort into cooking for one... which means i normally nuke some mac and cheese, soup or throw one of those pre made stir frys on the stove.
so the conclustion was reached, i could just manage to take care of myself, but just barly... i definitly couldn't take care of grandma and myself when she gets out of rehab... so luckly we have the option to call for re- enforcments thanks to my uncle and aunt... so now we hired a polish lady to stay with us 24 hours and help with cooking, cleaning and anything grandma needs when she comes home.
so anyway she just came today, and she's really nice if not a bit hard to understand sometimes(her english is still broken though she knows enough to hold a decent conversation, it is a lost word thing mostly.) but yeah, when someone new enters the picture like this i'm sure most people would have that awakward feeling i do now... expecially when you tell them you where planing on haveing soup for lunch so they make you a pot of nice home made soup with lots of vegies and meat instead of the can of campel's chicken noodle soup you had planned on... on the plus side... it was very good soup.

Clareon Wolfeyes
November 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
I hope everything works out for you and grandma, keep your chin up.

Bobthepenguin
November 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Good soup is a gift from the soup gods. Bask in the soup.

Kelssy
November 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Watch what she does when cooking, so when she leaves you can do it. A tip I got when my kids were little and hubby was out to sea, might help you, Make enough for 4 meals then divide it up to eat later. After a couple "cooking days" you can start taking days off and just eating from the freezer. I still do it with lazagana, yummy but I end up with enough to feed an army. Turkeys are easy too... just bag-n-bake then eat for several days.

Bobthepenguin
November 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Oh, gods how I long for Thanksgiving! The turkey, the stuffing, the pie, the rolls, the days of delicious turkey sandwiches after, the setting up of the tree the next day! How I love Thanksgiving!

Soria
November 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I hope it turns out for you hon. For awhile, after my mom had to have surgry on her colon, and my sister and I were to young to do much arouund the house, we had a temporary maid for awhile, so I get an idea what you are going through.

Kelssy
November 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Bob why wait for thanksgiving? I cook turkey dinner (yea even the pumpkin pie) about every couple of months. I love turkey :)

Bobthepenguin
November 9th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Really? Wow. That's too much work. However, I have recently begun making Egg Salad at times other than easter. Oh, how i love thee, egg salad!

DarkWyndre
November 9th, 2006, 08:36 AM
DogEye ... keep your chin up. Out of curiosity, how old are ya? In my mid to late teens, I volunteered about 2000 hours at a children's hospital working with CF kids. Not to be blunt, but I gave it up after one too many of them became like family and then lost their fight with the disease.

Was only so much of that I could take heh. Eight years later, still haunted by the final one.

DogEye
November 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
If you must know my age, it is going to be 24 really soon... yeah i've have a decently mild case up till now... it just finally reached the point where the doctors are seriously talking about lung transplant, i intend to keep my lungs as long as i can but even now i'm starting to feel that it would be worth the risk probably sooner then later. so far the good points i have on my side is that i'm still young(just have little to no life atm *thanks God for MMOs*) i'm extreamly pain tolerant, i have good family support, a plan A, a Plan B, and should both fail a plan C, i have good faith, not on O2 yet, and i've been told i look younger then i am... oh yeah humor, though because of it some of my close family are shocked and surprised that i KNOW what is going on. things i have agianst me, i'm 103lbs... i should be 120-125lbs, and for some strange reason i don't have a virus that 90% of people have that might cause complications... otherwise i'm just creeped out about the subject and can openly admit if that is what it comes to i'm down right afriad of it...
oh and btw haveing said that... i hold every right to SMITE the first person that posts substistices... and everyone there after that does the same...

either way, i can't do everything i'd like to and feel i should be able to do, but i can't do much about it at this point... i like the polish lady we hired, but i'll feel better when grandma gets back, which won't be till Thanksgiving now apperantly =/

DarkWyndre
November 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Rocking man... I just know pretty intimately what you're going through and like it or not, age is a big factor in the disease. So you know, I was in a car accident when I was 11 and have been paralyzed since. I lost my left kidney in August, and my other one has a very large stone in it that will take 3-5 surgeries total to get rid of (already had 1).

I too have to eat when I don't feel like it, drink way more than I feel like (and things I'd rather not drink), and basically the outlook for me is grim. But, the best we can do is keep fighting.

Learn how to cook things you like to eat, and you'll find it much easier to gain that weight. I can offer you tons of fast and easy recipe's that make very healthy and good tasting results if you want.

Bobthepenguin
November 10th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Hey, man what is a substistices? I have to know, so I don't post one, so I don't get smitten. That's awesome that you have been doing so well for so long, and that you made it to 24. If only there was a way to magically transfer weight from one person to another over the internet, I would solve your underweight problem instantly. (Damn hormones. They put you on birth control, you gain 20 pounds. They switch the pills, 20 more, and I've gone from being a skinny little thing to having a mini-double chin and a floppy belly.)

DogEye
November 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM
substistics =numbers like surivival rate, sucess vs. failer, chances of complictations, the chance that i probably misspelled substistics ect. Bob =P

Clareon Wolfeyes
November 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Oh statistics! They're overated!