PDA

View Full Version : Help me confused duel core vs normal processor.

Shadarlog
November 26th, 2006, 12:23 AM
So here I am with 2,500 bucks in my pocket wanting to make a gaming rig for the upcoming year. But my question is what should I make it based off of. I mean the pentium d's have up to a 3.73 gig processor while the duel cores top out aroud 2.4 gigs max. But what is better? When it comes to processors I love AMD's but the new games all seem to want 3.0 gigs min so what should I look at processor wise that won't break me to bad?

Nanaki
November 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ghz means nothing, absolutly nothing. AMD Proved this. My 3+ year old Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2 Ghz will get smoked by the lowest end Core 2 Duo using only one of it's cores.

You want a processor that is the most bang for the buck? Until something better comes out, a Core 2 Duo E6600 will fit the bill. It is roughly 300 bucks, and runs games better than an FX-62.

If you are not getting a Core 2 Duo, than stick with AMD. Although there are some lower end/cheaper Core 2s out there that are still impressive.

Shadarlog
November 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Well I was looking at the amd 64 x2 5200+, basicaly I want a computer with power and I figure as long as I stay away from names like Falcon northwest and Alien ware I can get a system that does what I dream for not insane amounts of green.

Nanaki
November 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
You can custom-build your own rig, but unless you are experianced with it you might get a bit overwhelmed putting it together. At least though, you know what you are paying for, which is a good thing.

The way the component industry works is that you have the Extreme-end products, the High-end products, than the Middle and low-end products. The primary difference between Extreme-end and High-end is price. A X6800 Processor costs 1,000 dollars, an E6600, which is not too much behind it, is 300 dollars. This is also true for the graphics card market. Try to get high-end processors without delving into the Extreme-end and you should get a very price effective gaming rig.

Well I was looking at the amd 64 x2 5200+

Which retails for 400 bucks. If you want good power for a decent price, get a E6600. Retails at 300$. I do not know how well the 5200+ performs, but the 64 x2 5000+ gets beaten by the E6600. Core 2 Duo is the best you can get when it comes to Price/Performance till AMD comes out with something better. Hopefully, anyway, lack of competition is bad for the consumer.

basicaly I want a computer with power and I figure as long as I stay away from names like Falcon northwest and Alien ware I can get a system that does what I dream for not insane amounts of green.

Throwing in rough approximates...
300$ Processor (Core 2 Duo E6600)
Reason: Best processor when it comes to price to performance. The higher-end Core 2 Duos end up skyrocketing in price for small gains. AMD has nothing at the moment that can match it.

200-300$ Motherboard
Note: Motherboards, in many cases, end up being about personal preference. Your choice is already heavily limited by the processor, Graphics card, and RAM choices. Get a good one, though.

350$ for 2 gigs of Corsair RAM (TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO)
Note: This may be a little too close to the top, and you are free to get a cheaper package if you choose.

300$ Graphics card (XFX Geforce 7950 GT)
Note: Not a bad price for a decent GPU, but as I said, only if you got the cash.

Also, you will need a Case and powersupply, most companies will sell the Case and Powersupply together. Never -ever- skimp out on this. Trust me, I did, I regretted it. I had two PSUs die on me on this computer, one of them going up in a fireball. I was -really- lucky that it did not take everything else with it. I recommend Thermaltake here. They can get quite pricy, though, ranging easily to 300$.

Harddrive is also the standard equip. Price will vary wildly depending on what you want. Speed and Capacity are big determinators of price. Gaming computers rarely need more than 100 GB, but if you use the computer for something other than gaming, you might need it.

Next on the list is CD-Roms, DVD-Roms, DVD-burners, that kind of stuff. I do not know much on this, but, its very simple.

Optional is a Sound Card. Some gaming computers go all out here with an Audigy 2 soundcard with surround sound in the room they are in. On-board sound works just as well, though, especially if you are stuck to using headphones. Most of the better Motherboards have decent onboard sound.

Someone else may have better suggestions than I with the sound card/CD Roms, as I never put much thought into it as I plan on cannibalizing this rig for the Audigy 2 Card and the ROMs for my new gaming rig.

Tyorin
November 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Motherboards are more around the $150-$200 range for even the highest end motherboards. I haven't checked recently but I bought the most expensive motherboard available at the time I built my system less than a year ago, $225. Unless you're going SLI you really shouldn't have to pay more than $150 for a good motherboard.

I'd recommend getting the 8800 GTS at least...a single 8800 GTS performs about the same as two 7900 GTX's in SLI from what I've read about them...it also only costs $450 and is somewhat "future proof" since it is a DX10 card. Windows Vista is going to be DX10 and many of the new games are going to use DX10.

RAM shouldn't cost you more than $250 for good RAM...unless you're going to overclock you don't need the super high end stuff, you just need low latency performance RAM. Corsair is indeed a great brand for this, I got two gigs for low latency Corsair XMS for $180 when I built this rig...but that same RAM kit is now $250, must've been some kind of shortage of chips lately.

The new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10's are a FANTASTIC price for performance and storage. 320 gigs for $90 and benchmarks show it out performing almost any other SATA HD including most of the Raptor series. Only the Raptor-X's out performed it in speed. Two of them can get you 640 gigs for $180 and you can put them in a RAID array if you know how, giving you more storage and more speed. Hard drives are the bottle neck of modern systems, a lot of people think a hard drive is a hard drive and all that matters is storage, but the speed of the hard drive is just as important for performance based processes(IE games).

Always buy the case and the power supply seperately, you'll get more bang for your buck and less likely to get a crappy ass PSU. You can get a good case with good cooling for as low as $70 and a good PSU for $150. You'll read about people thinking it's better to buy PSUs with far more power than they'll use(ie you'll see people buying 1k watt PSUs for non-SLI mid-tier rigs), this is far from true. That power supply is going to bring in the same amount of power from the wall no matter if you are using it all or not...where does the excess energy end up? That's right, heat. Get an SLI ready 450-600 watt power supply and you should be good. You definitely want to make sure you get a good one though...and you'll hear people say the weight matters, but it doesn't. OCZ power supplies weigh less than many other's but perform better.

There are two things that are often overlooked in modern rigs, the power supply and the cooling. Personally I'm not into phase cooling or water cooling, I prefer air cooling but than I'm also one of those people who's paranoid about putting anything wet next to anything electronic...not to mention many of the water cooling solutions are worse than many of the air solutions. You want a good power supply and you want to make sure you have good air flow and good fans. Big fans are better than small fans...they move more air and make less noise. I find it funny when I hear someone brag they have 10 80mm fans in their case, they aren't cooling at that point...they are just making air bounce around and since they are introducing more devices they require more power and create more heat. I use two case fans...omg I'm going to computer Hell. I have two 120 mm fans...one in the front bottom of my case that pulls cool air in and another on the back of my case towards the top that blows the hot air out. My system temp is under 30 C and my CPU hovers around 35c at load, never has exceeded 40c.

As for your original question, the difference between dual core and single core is the number of threads it can process per cycle effectively. A dual core is effectively two processors which allows the computer to process twice as many tasks effectively. The single cores are faster per core but are far less effecient, they are also being phased out. The largest benefit to dual cores is the ability to force processes to run on seperate cores from each other or to share cores.