PDA

View Full Version : Inking questions

zensaber
November 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Now me and my friends have been developing a web comic and although we have run into quite a few problems recently after solving some other ones I would like to know if you people could lend me some of your experience on a smaller problem of mine, inking. Now personally i hate inking on the computer and much rather ink by hand, now i havn't decided how to, personaly i'm thinking of using drafting velum and some sharpies because i'm cheap and don't want to waste gaming money on expensive supplies but i would like to hear if you have any ideas on what i should use or how to go about it.

Woody
December 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Paper: Smooth 110lbs. Bright White Card Stock
Card stock tends to be minimally porous which keep the ink from bleeding too much. Bright White makes brightness contrast easier when you're scanning the image in. And the heavy weight gives it some oomph to stand up to erasing. If you don't want to use card stock, meh, I say go with some bristol board. But the card stock, if you get the right kind of stuff, works just as wel and is more cost effective.
Example: The paper I use cost ~$10 for 250 8.5x11" sheets. Bristol board cost me $6 for a 9x12" 20 sheet tablet.

Pens: Pigma Micron
They're relatively cheap, the ink is acid-free archival, they last a good long time before needing to be replaced, and you can just toss them when you're done. If however you're okay with cleaning your pens frequently, make the initial investment in some Koh-I-Noor pens. Then all you have to buy from now on is ink. So, it's cost effective in the long run.
Example: Pigma Micron pens cost $2.50 - $3.00 per pen, and last quite a few months. Koh-I-Noor pens cost $15 - $20 each and last for years. The ink is around $3 and can last a really long time depending on how much you use per image/strip and how many pens you're filling.

Dawn White
December 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM
On the other hand, filling pens is a pain in the butt, and it's too easy to destroy a really fine nib during cleaning. Staedtler makes a pretty good disposable pen that isn't expensive. I'm not positive about the ink being acid-free, but it's the same ink you use to fill staedtler mechanical pens with, and we used that for architectural drafting when i was in school.

Drafting vellum is not real porous, and the ink sits on top of it, so you've got to be extra careful with it, but I can see wanting to use it to ink over 'clean' without sketch lines or eraser marks. It's a slower way to do it than using bristol or card stock, but the vellum is a neat surface to draw on. I've used it myself, a lot, and keep some around for on-the-fly potential revisions to a drawing. I don't do comics, though, and don't know how practical it would be. Woody's suggestion of cardstock is probably more practical. Not to mention faster.

Woody
December 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Fighting with the Koh-I-Noor pens is exactly why I use the Pigma Micron pens now.

Dawn White
December 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I hate koh-i-noor pens. With a passion. Had several, tossed 'em out. They break without warning, frequently. Rotring makes a rapidograph pen that's actually pretty good, but the *best* are Staedtler mechanical pens. I still have most of a 25-year old set that i got when I went to tech school for drafting. Use them often, too. Still going strong, and I've never replaced the nibs.

Bobthepenguin
December 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Wow. You guys rock. I looked down at my desk and went "I've got a packet of Bic pens. Does that help?" I'm jazzed that we now have a thread that can talk about pens.

Woody
December 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
How are the Staedtler pens when it comes to clogging in the nib? That was the single most annoying aspect of using the Koh-I-Noor pens. The slightest bit of dried ink meant you had to spend an hour or so cleaning the thing, particularly with the smaller nibs.

Dawn White
December 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I've never had one clog on me, but I *have* had them release too much ink. That's the only problem I've had with them. They do require seismic cleaning once in a while, which can be a pain if all you've got is some water in a baby-food jar. That's hard on the wrist...for me. The architecture of a Staedtler nib is different from a koh-i-noor, much more stable and secure. The smallest Staedtler nib I've used is .25mm, so I don't have experience with the ultra-small nibs. Couldn't afford them when I was buying them.

My favorite, though, is the Rotring system... they use cartridges, and the pressure thingie is built into the cartridge, so there are no moving parts in the nib. MUCH safer to clean, and I *almost* never had problems with them.. but they weren't nearly as smooth on the drawing as either staedtler or koh-i-noor. Koh-i-noor pens are just crap, but they're cheap, and that's exactly how they've achieved such market penetration.

(btw, i had no idea i knew this much about pens. amazing what 25 years of drawing with pens will teach you, eh?)

Woody
December 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'm too heavy handed to use micro fine nibs. I'd most likely destroy them in a single use.

Clareon Wolfeyes
December 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Geez, talking about taking pens for granted, I just took all my pens out of my desk and looked at them, I stll like my caligraphy pen the best.

Grand Puppeteer
December 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I use microns for quick thin-ink jobs and a copic sketch marker for more detailed work.

Kikaro
December 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I dont do much with pens, more of a pencil guy. But I did pick up some basic gel pens to doodle with while I am at work. (I refuse to bring expensive art supplies to work)

I was actually impressed with some of the doodles I turned out. Mainly silly drawings of animals mutated into other things, but hey, they coat the paper well and are very colorful.

In other words, I know very little about art pens... *sigh*