Elder Scrolls Online, thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Scrolls Online, thoughts?

Has anyone been following the development of the Elder Scrolls Online? From what I have seen and read, it is the closest thing to Dark Age of Camelot in a very online while, and I do miss DAoC PvP. I hope they can get it right since I am tired of seeing good MMOs last only a few months before people go back to whatever game (*cough* WoW *cough*) they were playing before.

I like the idea of putting combat back into the world compared to the instance battleground grounds so many games use. I also like the idea of abilities feed on the abilities of other classes. It should make teamwork alot more important. Mega Server also sounds interesting but that will either be a hit or miss in my book.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Even if they DO get it right, people will still go back to WoW. WoW is just too darn popular :O
    "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

Im pretty excited about it. I haven't been following the developing. Mainly because I tend to get REALLY excited when I read up on up coming games and can't wait for them to come out. Have they send anything about a monthly sub or if it will be F2P? I've enjoyed GW2 because of the F2P and havne't gone back to WoW. Thankfully I've finally broke that addiction. Just got tired of feeling obligated to play when I was very bored of it.

Comment

No word on F2P or fee status yet.

I tried to play GW2 but I couldn't get into it. The lack of healing classes and the auto scale up of levels just got to me. I seemed like there was no point because everything remains the same challenge and there was little encouragement to group.

Comment

Most of the things that I loved about TES...wouldn't translate well to a MMO setting, IMO. If you're running a thief, either you run into the same problem EQ did with pickpocketing...Or you're losing the ability to steal. Crafting magic items is something I enjoy, but in a min-max MMO setting, they almost have to take out most of the customization of spells, weapons, and items TES is famous for. In all of the TES games, you're the most powerful person (potentially, at least) in the 'world', so you have a ton of freedom...but in a MMO setting, I see them having problems with that. Heck, how will vampires/werewolves work? I loved how you could be infected, and still run your character in the TES worlds...but in an MMO? Plus, the lack of modding will break Breandan's heart

I very much hope I'm wrong, but color me skeptical
          Poofe Farsteppe 'n Evandril Dracorum,
          Champions of Chaos,
          Defenders of Dragonkind

Comment

I love the TES games, though my favorite is still Morrowind. I'm keeping an eye on the MMO but, well, I'm nervous and skeptical. A lot of the things I enjoy the most about TES won't be in the MMO, but it's still TES, so I gotta track it!

Comment

it is important to remember that eldar scrolls online will be an MMO set in Tamriel NOT an eldar scrolls game like we are used to.

it will NOT be first person.
              it will NOT be hack and slash.
              it will NOT be highly customizable spells/weapons/armor/skills.
              it will NOT be 'god mode'able

what it likely will be is something much closer to WOW, EQ, LOTRO, or SWTOR perhaps not exactly like any of them but its going to have ot have the classic elements of an MMO, skills with cooldown proportional to thier power, a set database of lewt available to players, skill trees/traitsets/class specs that can be controlled by the game developers so all players have a similiar level of power at any given level.

the Lore will be tamriel, but the game will not be TES.

I'm still in the air if this is a good thing or not.
              When all else fails, poke 'em in the eye with a good sharp stick.

Comment

Personally, I hate PvP, so this will be a deciding factor for me. If it's optional I'm fine, but if it's what the end game is, I may not play. I hope to get into beta to find out.

Comment

Anyone who follows my official Facebook page knows my love of Skyrim, and also knows I mod the motherloving SNOT out of that thing (I have a gallery of screenshots that will give you an idea). However, I look at Elder Scrolls Online as something completely different, and am not walking into it expecting it to be Skyrim Online like a lot of people I talk to on Nexus seem to think it will be.

Comment

It's going to be playable on the floor at PAX East this weekend. I'm going to try to get my hands on it, but if it's anything like The Old Republic was two years ago, it probably won't happen. (I got to the demo area at 10am on Sunday, and they told me that they couldn't garauntee I would make it to the front of the line by the time they closed up at 6pm. Just....no).

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

So, my group of friends showed up to PAX on Sunday at 8am to line up for the show floor, and immediately hurried over to the Elder Scrolls line the moment they let us in at 10am. By the time we got over there (at...10:02ish), the line was already a three hour wait. We decided that since we had already essentially waited two hours, what the hell.

The game seems to be really good. The combat is very 3rd Person Skyrim-like, even if the interface is more of a traditional MMO. (From character creation, to the HUD, to the skill tree, etc..). It's a very pretty game, very intuitive controls (my friend who doesn't play games *at all* was able to figure it out in a minute). We got about 20 minutes with it, so other than running over to a small town, picking up a few kill/fetch quests and running through them, I didn't get enough time to really have more to say about it...but it's looking great.

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin Darkhart View Post
                        it is important to remember that eldar scrolls online will be an MMO set in Tamriel NOT an eldar scrolls game like we are used to.

it will NOT be first person.
                        it will NOT be hack and slash.
                        it will NOT be highly customizable spells/weapons/armor/skills.
                        it will NOT be 'god mode'able

what it likely will be is something much closer to WOW, EQ, LOTRO, or SWTOR perhaps not exactly like any of them but its going to have ot have the classic elements of an MMO, skills with cooldown proportional to thier power, a set database of lewt available to players, skill trees/traitsets/class specs that can be controlled by the game developers so all players have a similiar level of power at any given level.

the Lore will be tamriel, but the game will not be TES.

I'm still in the air if this is a good thing or not.
                        it will NOT be first person. IT is
                        it will NOT be hack and slash. It is
                        it will NOT be highly customizable spells/weapons/armor/skills. IT is
                        it will NOT be 'god mode'able - That is true!!

Comment

I played in all the 'open' betas (The stress-test ones mostly open to the public), and enjoyed it enough to get the Imp edition for my Wife and myself. First person is definitely an option, as that's how I play it...My Wife plays in third person, so either are viable (Of course, neither of us made it up to even level 15, I had the highest level character at 11, so the endgame might 'require' one or the other)

The combat has quite a bit of variety, with your nice basic attacks working well for trash mobs, and your 'main' attacks doing enough to make you capible of taking on harder foes as well...Positioning is fairly important, and mobs *will* try and move behind you (Some by jumping over your head).

The crafted weapons and armor looks very distinct depending on the racial style used to make it (You start with your own racial style, and can learn others), but has no functional difference. I'm hoping for a 'generic' style that doesn't require the racial ingredient that's slightly less powerful, but guessing they wanted the gold-sink racial crafting requires. You can use any weapon or armor, regardless of race/class, though certain skills are limited to class, most things are accessible to anyone.
                          Poofe Farsteppe 'n Evandril Dracorum,
                          Champions of Chaos,
                          Defenders of Dragonkind

Comment

Working...
                          X