This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unspoken" Rules

These are the things that get edited, but you don't actually "get in trouble" for.

1. Don't bump old threads.

2. If a link will work, posting an image is not acceptable.
    That includes, but is certainly not limited to GU images.

3. If you are linking to something, state clearly what the link is.

4. Links/Posts/Threads posted for the purposes of "promotion" or "solicitation" are removed.
    If you have a site, service, store etc. that you'd like to have linked on the forums email or PM me.

5. Most outside links are removed from writeup threads.
    Using the [source] or [more] tag to provide citation however is applauded.

6. No l337 speak or "Lazy" typing.

7. Patch posts, massive quotes from a news source, etc. are replaced with a link to the appropriate article.
    Basically, don't quote it... link it.

8. Tell me about typos in a comic or write-up via email or a Private Message rather than in a post.

9. Posts responding to posts that violate the rules will be removed.

10. Don't offer unsolicited advice.
    It assumes a level of personal knowledge with the other poster that just isn't 100% appropriate.

11. If you feel you need to submit a joke idea, please do so via email.

12. If all you have to contribute to a thread is negativity, then you have nothing to contribute.
    Negativity does not advance a thread; it tends to derail it.

13. If you do not like a comic, that's fine. But there's no need to mess up everyone else's fun. Every comic does not appeal to every person. So just ignore it and move on. If you find that you're no longer enjoying any of the comics then GU is no longer the comic for you, there are plenty of others out there you might appreciate more.

14. If you have to quote someone, only quote the part you're actually responding to not the whole post. And please limit your posts to using one quote tag. There's nothing wrong with brevity.

15. Whenever possible, please avoid using I agree/I disagree/Actually. For some odd reason they tend to put people on the defensive.

-----

Other items will be added as I come across them

Note: We are often too busy to notify each person about a post that has been moderated or deleted. If you have an issue with moderation, you should contact one of the moderators or Woody by PM or email rather than derailing a thread with it.

1. Don't Bump Old Threads.

If no one was all that interested in responding to a threads more than a few weeks ago, why would bumping it change their minds? There are rare exceptions. Very, very, very rare exceptions. But, there's no specific guideline to getting an exception. Ask first.

Solution: Post a new thread.

Comment

2. If a link will work, posting an image is not acceptable.
      That includes, but is certainly not limited to GU images.

Honestly, I prefer to see text on the forums and if people want to check out an image they should be able to opt into it by clicking a link.

Solution: There's a nifty little BB code for linking images.
      [pic]

Comment

3. If you are linking to something, state clearly what the link is.

I'm a fan of knowing precisely what's on the other side of a link before I click it. So where I appreciate people trying to be clever with their descriptions. We've just had one too many links over the years that lead to something inappropriate, unexpected, etc.

Solution: Just tell us basically what we're going to see.

Comment

4. Links/Posts/Threads posted for the purposes of "promotion" or "solicitation" are removed.
          If you have a site, service, store etc. that you'd like to have linked on the forums email or PM me.

This is a community for sharing information, talking to other gamers, discussing game related stuff, etc. It's not the right place to try to boost impressions on your site or peddle your wares.

Solution: Before posting a link to your site, your store, or something similar email or PM me about it. And I'll tell you about options, or let you know how you could word a post so that it fits within the rules.

Comment

5. Most outside links are removed from writeup threads.
            Using the [source] or [more] tag to provide citation however is applauded.

Writeup threads are the most visible threads on the forums. As such I do my best to keep them on topic. The vast majority of the time links posted in writeup threads exist as a tangent and thus promote derails.

Solution: If you're linking information relevant to the thread, talk about information and then cite the link as your source using the source tag. Keep in mind though, the source tag is really only meant to support your summarization of/opinion on the linked information.

Comment

6. No l337 speak or "Lazy" typing.

This is a forum. Text is the medium through which we are communicating. We might as well do it right. What's the point wasting our time making us decipher numbers in the place of letters? And does it really save THAT much time typing "u" rather than "you"? No.

Solution: Just type like you're writing a letter to a friend.

Comment

7. Patch posts, massive quotes from a news source, etc. are replaced with a link to the appropriate article.
                Basically, don't quote it... link it.

No one really likes reading through or opening a thread and getting hit with a wall of text especially when it's copied and pasted from somewhere else. Do us a favor, summarize!

Solution: Give us your opinion on the information you were going to post, then give us a link to the original information. If we feel we need to, we'll go and read the information for ourselves.

Comment

8. Tell me about typos in a comic or write-up via email or a Private Message rather than in a post.

There's no need derailing a thread by making an entire post letting me know about a typo.

Solution: Just email or PM me and I'll take care of it as soon as I can.

Comment

9. Posts responding to posts that violate the rules will be removed.

Responding to a post or thread that violates the forum rules just draws more attention to the errant post. Just report the post and one of the moderators or I will be along to edit or remove it as soon as we can.

Solution: There's a link under every post to report it.

Comment

10. Don't offer unsolicited advice.
                      It assumes a level of personal knowledge with the other poster that just isn't 100% appropriate.

Unless someone asks specifically for advice on a topic or issue they're having keep your advice to yourself.

Solution: Tell the readers your own related story and how you handled it. If the intial poster gleans advice from your story, so much the better.

Comment

11. If you feel you need to submit a joke idea, please do so via email.

I appreciate people sending in joke ideas. It's awesome. But when a joke is posted to the forums... it's already been told to my readers, why would I want to retell it? In the history of GU I can only remember using a joke that was told on the forums twice. And the reason I ask that it not be PMed to me is because PM tend to get lost. I get so many PMs that your joke idea is likely to get lost due to pruning.

Solution: Just email it. Any GU address will do.

Comment

12. If all you have to contribute to a thread is negativity, then you have nothing to contribute.
                          Negativity does not advance a thread; it tends to derail it.

Like the subnote says, negativity does not advance a thread; it tends to derail it. Another outcome is that it stops the conversation cold. Yet another outcome is that other readers respond to the negativity with negative statements of their own and the whole thread becomes unhelpful.

Solution: Be constructive. Offer your opinion on how things could be corrected. Talk about posiive aspects of the same topic. Give other readers a reason to continue the conversation.

Comment

13. If you do not like a comic, that's fine. But there's no need to mess up everyone else's fun. Every comic does not appeal to every person. So just ignore it and move on. If you find that you're no longer enjoying any of the comics then GU is no longer the comic for you, there are plenty of others out there you might appreciate more.

Not much to add to this one. Just, if you no longer derive joy from the comic why continue to subject yourself to it?

Solution: Leave. I won't be offended.

Comment

14. If you have to quote someone, only quote the part you're actually responding to not the whole post. And please limit your posts to using one quote tag. There's nothing wrong with brevity.

Posts that exist before yours have already been read. Most of us aren't really interested in reading it all again. We do however understand that you want people to know what you're responding to.

Solution: Quote only what's necessary. If you're responding to more than one post, just address the people you're responding to individually so we don't have to scroll through a bunch of quoted text.

Comment

Working...
                              X