Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have this problem (LCD Displays)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this problem (LCD Displays)

I just recently got myself a new LCD since I was wanting something space-saving to go in my dorm room.

However, while browsing over the past two days, I've noticed that it seems to cause me to have a slight eye strain and eventually can build up to a headache when I read on it for extended periods. Playing games I dont' have any issues.

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure if its just my eyes adjusting or what. The screen is quite bright.
    Naryn Irontoe
    Cleric of Clericness
    Etc...

Turn down the brightness, change the resolution/text size... reading glasses?
    Who says a priest can\'t kick a little butt?
    Pyralus 60 Night Elf Priest- Sargeras

Comment

Got contacts that are the correct prescip, and I'm reading it from far away that glasses couldnt' help.

Just been afraid to mess with brightness: messes with my Counter-stike'ing
      Naryn Irontoe
      Cleric of Clericness
      Etc...

Comment

(Just in case it wasn't obvious)
        TFT monitors only support one resolution. If your desktop or game resolution isn't the same, it is recalculated/resized by the monitor to make it fit. In the case of text that means letters can become a little sketchy. It is highly recommended that your desktop size is exactly that of the TFT. Not so much in games, as the constant movement hides a lot of blockiness caused by resizing.

In the properties of the desktop you can change the way fonts are displayed (I'm running a german windows, so I have to guess the names a little). Richt click on the desktop, the select Properties -> effects -> font display
        You will find a combobox displaying none / somethingorother / cleartype
        Play a little with these settings to see which fits your needs the best.

I hope that helps a bit.
        4 8 15 16 23 42

Comment

Done that too Thanks for offering the info though

I'm starting to suspect that its just the sheer brightness of the whites of the GU site and several other that I browse.

Like staring at a very bright lightbulb for an hour or more. Not too pleasant. Going to tinker with the brightness and see how that helps.
          Naryn Irontoe
          Cleric of Clericness
          Etc...

Comment

also check your refresh rate and max it for your monitor

you could have a low rate

Comment

flat panel monitors only support one resolution? o_O

I have a 19-inch flat panel monitor at home that I can adjust the resolution from 640x480 up to 1280x1024 (my current resolution).

Am I missing something?

Comment

your refresh rate wouldn't happen to be set to 60htz would it?

Comment

Originally posted by Serresrelic
                  flat panel monitors only support one resolution? o_O

I have a 19-inch flat panel monitor at home that I can adjust the resolution from 640x480 up to 1280x1024 (my current resolution).

Am I missing something?
                  Yes your LCD monitor can display other resolutions but it only does 1 of them well.
                  Read everything that DocBobo said not just the first sentance

Originally posted by DocBobo
                  If your desktop or game resolution isn't the same, it is recalculated/resized by the monitor to make it fit. In the case of text that means letters can become a little sketchy. It is highly recommended that your desktop size is exactly that of the TFT. Not so much in games, as the constant movement hides a lot of blockiness caused by resizing.

Comment

Yep, try turning the brighness down. I had the exact same problem. As soon as I got my settings to a comfy point (brightness, etc) I was good to go. Also, make sure your screen is pointed right at you in the vertical plane as well as horizontal. Mine was driving me nuts, and I couldn't adjust the fuzz out. I did a mini-tilt down and it cleared right up.
                    Thunderbore - Drawf Hunter
                    -Whisperwind
                    http://worldofwarcraft.gameamp.com

Comment

Bah, I did read everything Doc said. The problem was I misunderstood what he wrote. There's a difference, but thanks for trying.

Comment

(to clarify a little more how a TFT monitor works)
                        a TFT panel actually consists of a matrix of pixels. Each pixel is controlled individually by the monitor's electronics. A pixel isn't just a lamp that glows in diffferent colors, it consists of three subpixels which can glow in the colors of red, green and blue. The intensity (of the glow) of each subpixel determines which color the pixel shows.

These constraints lead to the following technical problems:
                        A panel has a fix resolution (a pixel horizontal, b pixels vertical), for example 1280x1024. If you want to show a different resolution it has either to be downsized or upsized or shown "in a window" (centered, with a black frame) to make it fit into the TFT's pixel matrix. Older notebooks do this a lot when they boot up in DOS mode, for example.
                        When a subpixel dies it cannot be replaced. You end up with a pixel that lacks the ability to show all the colors. Those are the little annoying dots on your panel you only see in special cases (white on black, black on white, anything which has high contrast). Most displays are sold with a certain percentage of broken pixels per default, for example "not more than 3 dead pixels per display" which is a percentage of 2.3e-4% (at the given example of 1280x1024 pixels). Very little actually.
                        4 8 15 16 23 42

Comment

Doc, your genius scares me sometimes. *wink*
                          Nosferatu (of Everlore)
                          aka Erobate of Tunare
                          Member of Elidor

Comment

I think Kordesh has the right of it though.

I had to turn down the refresh rate on my monitor because it gave me skull wracking headaches at the default refresh rate for the resolution I work at.

Nothing else was changed.

Comment

Yep my monitor recommended that I put my refresh rate @ 60megahertz.

That is as low as it will go the way it is set up right now. Does that specific refresh rate have something associated with it? I know higher resolutions can give me headaches like Woody is talking about. Played Counter-Strike on my crt monitor with max resolution for abit since it was supposedly going to help accurracy and it gave me one of the worst headaches I've ever had.

Should I increase the refresh rate?
                              Naryn Irontoe
                              Cleric of Clericness
                              Etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X