My WoW / Best Buy story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My WoW / Best Buy story

After much mental ping pong and a discussion with my wifey, we finally decided this last weekend to get Wrath of the Lich King. Since we have the Rewards Zone card, we decided to go to Best Buy to get the game. We meander up to the local Best Buy, look around, and finally head to the MUCH smaller PC software section of the store (I remember 5-10 years ago that section used to be HUGE) to find WotLK. I was actually VERY surprised not that they had the game.. but how it was simply in it's retail box with no plastic security casing. If the box was in mint condition, I wouldn't have thought twice.. but this box looked in rough shape. Obviously my concern was that someone while in the store open up the box carefully, copied the CD key and took off. I was almost sold that it was in fact a display box.. They couldn't sell a PC game in a retail box in that bad of shape, could they? I heavily debated asking one of the 'associates' roaming the store if that was just a display case or if they had another copy of the game in the back. Instead, we just figured we'd go up to the check out and ask there. That was mistake number 1 on our part.

We get to the front of the store and see a little Asian girl waiting.. So I asked her if it was a display box. She assured my fears that it was not. That was the game I was going to bring home if I bought it. So I asked if she could somehow check to see if they had any other games in the back in better condition. She looked at me as if I just explained Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. I told her my fear.. that the we buy the game, bring it home and find out the CD key was already used. She still looked at me like a confused cow. Then she obliged (probably to avoid more confusion) and asked through her little walkie-talkie, "Can I get someone check and see if we have any more PC titles (slows down her speech)World of Warcraft (pauses) Wrath of the (pauses) LICK (that is NOT a typo.. She actually said lick instead of lich) King?" Just as she paused to read the game title.. I had to look up and away.. I'm glad I did. I almost burst in laughter. Seriously? Lick King? Why would ANYONE want to be a Lick King? BEWARE THE WRATH OF THE LICK KING!!! Prepared to get SLOBBERED ON!! I know it's a bad generalization.. but she's ASIAN!.. How can an Asian NOT know WoW? Anyway, they did not have any other copies of the game at the store.. So I made the executive decision to get it anyway.

She then 'assured' me that if the game was missing any pieces I could always return it. Ok, let me pause the story right here.. What's wrong with that statement (beside the 'missing any pieces' bit)? I wonder how much money Blizzard / Best Buy has lost because of this bogus deal.. To explain for the uneducated.. When you buy WoW or any of it's expansions, you are NOT buying the software (the information on the disks), you are essentially buying the CD Key.. as Blizzard / Battle.net uses those CD keys to 'flag' your account with the game and/or any of the expansions. That being said.. Apparently this girl is telling me I could have gotten the game, used the CD key on my account, return the game for another copy with no troubles, and use the new game's CD key for my wife's account. Of course that's dishonorable and we have not and will never do this.. But still.. For the price of one copy of WoW, BC and LICK KING, we in theory could upgrade both our accounts.. I couldn't believe that. Surely she was seriously misinformed.. At least I hope so (for Blizzard / Best Buy's sake).

Long story short, the CD key worked with no issues. And I now am fully upgraded to the Wrath of the Lick King.*

*NOTE: Yes, for now on, I shall refer Arthas and his WoW expansion as the Lick King.. Deal with it.
    Hol˙bovine - Tauren ret/prot pally
    Formo - Human Paladin
    Zraxth - Troll fury warrior
    Real ID: tenolein at gmail.com Feel free to add me (and tell me who you are, too).

I can almost guarantee you there would have been problems if you went to return that game. Store return policies on MMO's are usually very strict, despite what an associate told you. I'm glad it worked, though.

I'm in the middle of my bi-annual "I'm sick of this stupid game" hiatus from WoW right now. I plan on reactivating just before Cataclysm and switching over to Star Wars: ToR when that hits next year.

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

Oh, rest assured.. I would have had my way.. Especially when I voiced my concern to the associate that checked us out. Good thing it didn't end that way. lol
      Formo - Human Paladin
      Real ID: tenolein at gmail.com Feel free to add me (and tell me who you are, too).

Comment

there are days where I deal with clerks or cashiers like that, shake my head, and mutter "Antiquis temporibus, ad remum dareris*..." Seriously, there are some people who- either through latent inability to engage neural processes more efficiently than a dodgy hamster turd, or due to environmental corruption of normal levels of intelligence into that level of rodent fecal matter- I honestly believe are on this earth merely to provide biomass to feed plants when they die.

* "In the good old days, you would've been chained to an oar" roughly

Comment

I can tell you Teno that if your fear would have come true and the key was already used, you'd have some serious problems returning it at Best Buy. That goes for any PC title anymore. Most places won't take a PC title back because once the CD Key is used and registered, which is normally part of the install process, it can't be sold again. I do remember a time when you could exchange the PC game for other games and you had to sign a form stating that you removed the software from your computer and you have no illegal copies of that software at home. Not that it was enforceable at the time, mind you.
          Xbox Live Gamertag: drgnmstr44
          PSN tag: drgnmstr44

Comment

I've had about the same luck with my local Gamestop as you have had at Best Buy. If you're not concerned about having the box, I would recommend just downloading/buying the CD key online from Blizzard. The download generally takes an entire night to finish, but it saves the headache (and gasoline in my situation) of going to the closest store and dealing with their retail "experts".
            Follun Enikantgitup Halfling Storm Warden of Bristlebane (retired long, long ago)

Comment

Follum: The nice thing is.. I already had Lick King downloaded on my laptop from the 10 day trial I had a month back.. So I've already gone through that crap of downloading/updating it.

drgnmstr: I'm sure they would have giving me troubles.. My point is that I addressed the issue with the clerk and her 'assuring' me the ability of returning the game (now if I were oblivious to the PC software rule, we'd be in a big pickle) if it were defunct. Luckily we live only 30 minutes from their corporate HQ, I would be knocking on their doors if the store location couldn't / refused to help me. Either way, though.. One way or another I would have gotten A) my money back, or B) a replacement game.

I'm not this hard headed about stuff.. But when I know I'm 100% in the right and was had.. I almost beg to be opposed. lol
              Formo - Human Paladin

Comment

I had the same problem at Gamestop. Years ago I bought Star Wars Galaxies. I didn't realize they opened their PC games before they put them on the shelf. Got home, installed, patched and then went to register. CD key in use. Took it back, got them to exchange it after a heated argument they exchanged it. Took it home, registered. CD key in use...

The manager was pretty unhappy when I took it back yet again. This time I just asked for my money back.

Of course thinking about it now, maybe it was a sign that I shouldn't have bothered...
                PSN ID - Kikaro

Comment

Hah...yeah Kikaro. Galaxies really wasn't worth all that effort. I can't wait for The Old Republic, though.

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

I think customer service has gone down, people really don't care anymore. Most workers are making a little more then minumum wage; and they are just trying to make some money to pay their cellphone bill or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by GalebDhur01 View Post
                      I think customer service has gone down, people really don't care anymore. Most workers are making a little more then minumum wage; and they are just trying to make some money to pay their cellphone bill or whatever.
                      that's probably true but the treatment of them by the customer as, in a whole, degraded as well. in stead of civilly talking with customer service people when you have a problem, most customers just start out with the yelling, screaming, and profanity. That doesn't really do much for making the person who is supposed to help you want to help you. then that person gets upset and their mood gets rained down on the next person in line some times. it's a vicious cycle.

There are still a few places where people are civil and nice but those are far and few between and usually not in a big retail chain.
                      Xbox Live Gamertag: drgnmstr44
                      PSN tag: drgnmstr44

Comment

I worked in a game store for over five years, and I loved my job. I was getting payed to stand around a mall, put some stuff on shelves and talk to people about video games. It was the best part time job I've ever had. (It wasn't until I accepted a management position, and actually had to deal with the company higher ups that I started to hate my job).

I liked being knowledgeable and helpful and I liked answering people's questions. Some people really are nasty and are just looking to pick a fight or assume you're out to get them, but that's just the nature of customer service in the retail world.

:shrug: That's why I prefer buying games from specialty stores. You have a better chance of finding someone who knows what you're talking about. (Not that all specialty game store employees are helpful or know Lara Croft's ass from Kratos' elbow mind you...just more of them).

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

Working...
                        X