Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping the Gun, by Mr. Anonymous. (4/11)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping the Gun, by Mr. Anonymous. (4/11)

An anonymous writer at Slashdot has submitted an article discussing the legal tussle between Blizzard and MDY Industries over WoWGlider a program that plays WoW for you. The writer summons forth an interpretation of the legal filing that reads as follows: "Apparently accessing the copy of the game client in RAM using another program infringes upon their rights. Under that logic, users do not even have the right to use anti-virus software in the event that the game becomes infected." The author also calls into question Blizzard's Warden program that scans users computers and sends data back to Blizzard.
    Source: Slashdot [ more info ]

From my perspective, that's a ridiculous leap in "logic" but makes for good political commentary on the issue. Reading the legal document (linked in the source article) shows no real room for that kind of interpretation with connecting dots that have no business being connected.

Blizzard, in my opinion at least, has every right to try to put the kibosh on a 3rd party piece of software that basically allows jackasses to screw with server economy and make repetitive tasks such as mining virtually impossible because some bot will always get there before you. Now, I personally hate their Warden program. My data on my computer is mine, they have no right to look at it. So, it's hard for me to decide which is the lesser of two evils: 3rd party asshat programs, or corporate anti-hack programs.

And before you jump to conclusions about the reasons for the comic, I'll tell you the purpose... sometimes posting the unbelievable/questionable will draw more attention to the real issue than the real issue will itself. And, I'm okay taking flak if it means you guys actually go out and read about the situation. Like I've said many times before "that's part of my job".

Blizzard the bad guy?

Love the comic Woody, I actually signed up just to respond to this one and I have been reading the comic for sometime. I do believe that 3rd party programs should be completely banned. And as for software that scans our computers, I think that Blizzard should give us the option to have em, but not require them to be there.

Just another thought tho, did anyone reading the comic think that it made Blizzards look like the bad guy for a moment?

Comment

To be honest, I'd rather deal with Blizzard's anti-hack software, than anything. I'm already constantly plagued by gold farmers on a daily basis, either while out farming or standing around Shattrath with their little macros to tell me to go buy from such and such website.
      Perenolde's "Official" Ranting Mage

-"An ostler has a mood and he kicks a dog. A Mage has his moods and a town disappears." - Anduin Lothar

Comment

I thought it made Blizz out to be the bad guy too.

I think bliz should have every right to try and stop 3rd party apps from screwing up the game. I really don't like their spyware program though. We are saposed to trust that they are only looking at data related to wow......

Comment

Jackholes out!, spyware...*grumbles* in.

Surely you weren't surprised to see the guys over at /. be a little over zealous about something. Having said that, I subscribe to their rss as do I yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Rzar
            I really don't like their spyware program though. We are saposed to trust that they are only looking at data related to wow......

I do believe Blizz is trustworthy in that. Let's look at how successful they are with WoW. Why would they jeapordize it with being a little sneakier about looking around people's computers?

Comment

WTB Tinfoil Hat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anjel
                And as for software that scans our computers, I think that Blizzard should give us the option to have em, but not require them to be there.
                That would be entirely counter productive to the Warden's only purpose.

The only thing the Warden does is scan for third party 'cheat' (e.g. botting) software. If it was optional, it would be obsolete. The program doesn't even scan whole system files, nor does it send any information back to Blizzard unless a red flag was raised for possible third party cheat software.

Comment

That's correct... Warden only watches for actively running programs in the system. It doesn't scan files on hard drives.
                  Censorship is telling a man that he canít have a steak simply because a baby canít chew it. - Mark Twain

Comment

I'd heard something about this long ago, and it still doesn't sit right with me. The idea that I'm paying them to spy on my computer just sucks. Even if it is just active programs.

The comic did make blizzard out to be the badguys. Rightfully so.

I thought it was satirically funny.

reflex :: the-gallery@corey-art :: forum

Comment

Me, not knowing one lick of programming or even a method to investigate personally what Warden does, I have to rely on what Blizzard and others (players) have said about the program. To what I've read, it will only look at the processes currently running while WoW.exe is running. As long as what is said is what it does, I have no problem with Warden, beyond the smidgen of processor usage it'll sap while running.

As for the topic of innocents getting gacked by a false-positive given by Warden....I would like to see the ratio of false-positives vs real bots. You often see/hear of people "wrongly accused" on the boards or on Vent. However, the vocal minority shouldn't be the sample that is taken. Alot of people cry/whine on the WoW forums, however their comment's shouldn't be taken as "gospel". I'm sure Warden is hitting people who are innocent, but I hope that it hits ALOT more of people who are using bots/hacks.

Where is the point where the ends justify the means?

Comment

I completely agree Woody.

In fact, this is a much heated debate on the WoW Customer Service forums as well. And if you were to stroll over to some of the bot sites and troll their forums, you'd be surprised at some of the commentary over there just laying out on their open forums regarding the game:

Botter: Omg, so last night I went to bed and stuck the bot on a loop program so I could wake up to 300g in the bank when all of a sudden this GM messages me like 3 hours later...I totally had to wake up and answer him!! OMG the nerve of some of these GMs. I mean...people DO have to sleep sometime!

meh. "kill'em all" i say!

and that's good album to listen to for when you're raiding...

Comment

Go Blizzard Go!!!

It is getting to the point where I am thinking of quiting due to the amount of Gold seller advertising I'm getting. I turn in each and every one of these bozo's to the GM's and sometimes the GM's get so many that they can't talk to me about it at all. Goldsellers and Powerlevelers are the people who are using WoWGlider. I've read over the court papers and Blizzard is in the right to go after this guy. MORE power to them.

Comment

Originally posted by elionbel
                            Botter: Omg, so last night I went to bed and stuck the bot on a loop program so I could wake up to 300g in the bank when all of a sudden this GM messages me like 3 hours later...I totally had to wake up and answer him!! OMG the nerve of some of these GMs. I mean...people DO have to sleep sometime!
                            does the bot wake you up when a GM messages you too?!? :P

as for blizz scanning my computer... i don't do anything wrong nor i have anything to hide... so i don't really care.

Comment

Had a buddy get banned for using a UI feature that reminded me sort of a stock ticker (sp?) some of his info would scroll across the screen. Makes me alittle afraid of using any kind of UI extras at all.
                              EQ: Geflen Deeppockets (66) Halfling Rogue [Erollisi Marr]
                              EQ 2: Wellyn Deeppockets (82) Halfling Swashbuckler [Oasis]
                              CoV: Dark Alter (50) MA/Regen Stalker [Virtue]
                              WoW: Khori (73) Night Elf Hunter [The Scryers]

Comment

Working...
                              X