Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church of England sueing sony

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...er/6736809.stm

Would the churce just want some extra money?
    or do you think they were contacted by some *kuch* lawyer.

To quote a part of the article

"We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired."

I find it scary that people actually believe video games would lead people to bring guns to a church and shoot everyone in sight

Is it really required to get the permission to put any building in a video game? I mean... I think that is absurd.

And, its alternate reality. Its not set in today's world.

I think this is absolutely stupid. Argh!
    PSN ID - Kikaro

Comment

I think a lawyer got to them and put the idea of sueing sony into their head, because that is just ridiculas.

You're fighting freaking monsters in the church, not other humans. Essentially you get to the church as a refuge but then it's attacked by the chimera, you don't even attack the church, geeez. I've played through that level a couple of times with my friends and on single player and never once has the thought "Omg I'm going to bring a gun to church!" occured. That's just silly and stupid of them to do that.
      Backpack reporting for duty! Ready to carry our team to victory.

Comment

Originally posted by LordKivlov
        I think a lawyer got to them and put the idea of sueing sony into their head, because that is just ridiculas.

You're fighting freaking monsters in the church, not other humans. Essentially you get to the church as a refuge but then it's attacked by the chimera, you don't even attack the church, geeez. I've played through that level a couple of times with my friends and on single player and never once has the thought "Omg I'm going to bring a gun to church!" occured. That's just silly and stupid of them to do that.
        Maybe they are secretly monsters as well.......
        The plot thickens !

Comment

Originally posted by mikau
          "We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired."
          *headdesk*

Of course, we all know the reality is that God doesn't let guns actually be fired in any real churches... right?
          Censorship is telling a man that he canít have a steak simply because a baby canít chew it. - Mark Twain

Comment

Sony should've asked permission, that was their mistake, the fact that they don't like the image it portrays is irrelevant and doesn't really have a bearing on any legal case that might happen. It's their opinion that it's wrong.

If it goes to court it will simply be over the fact Sony never got permission. And I should point out, we all know Sony would go straight to court to sue anyone who illegally used any of their copyrighted/protected material.

Comment

Something to add... How many other games use buildings without permission?

Hmm?

Why is this different?
              PSN ID - Kikaro

Comment

The article seems to indicate that Sony felt they got all of the permissions they needed. That means they asked someone/somegroup, probably consulted their legal staff. Sony is not the devil (pardon any religiously significant puns). From my position this just looks like one more instance of a group targeting video games because it's now in vogue to blame video games for the problems of the world rather than pointing fingers in the appropriate directions.

Comment

Or ... a chance for a prominent "needy" group to cash in on a sizeable handout after a few weeks of posturing. There seems to be a recurring theme of organizations pretending (or not pretending) to be mortally offended by successful ad/media/product actions, looking for some quick cash and 15 minutes of fame to ease their suffering.

Naladini the Wanderer
                  of Stormhammer

Comment

In my opinion.. as a member of the Church of England, I would think that the Church would be happy just to have the product removed with no cash settlement. Some organisations do put ethics and moral behaviour above greed.

Comment

Organizations, yes, people, not always. This is an act by people, probably a lawyer somewhere firing them up, not a deity or a faith.

Comment

Why is any permission needed in the first place if they're not actually physically using the real location (IE, doing a movie shoot)? Well-known and highly-publicized locations such as the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, and Manchester Cathedral should follow the same sorts of fair-use rights that pictures of famous celebrities do.
                        Censorship is telling a man that he canít have a steak simply because a baby canít chew it. - Mark Twain

Comment

Patsy McKie, from Mothers Against Violence, whose son Dorrie was killed in Manchester, said it was time to stand up to the makers of violent games.

"I believe it's something that needs to be taken seriously first by the Church but also by parents.
                          This kind of gets me wondering if the 'Anti-Game' activists have somehow gotten involved in this.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6739575.stm

an update, the church sending a letter to sony, asking for

# An apology for using the cathedral

# Withdrawal of the game, or modification of the section of the game to remove the cathedral interior

# Sony to make a substantial donation from the games' profits allowing the cathedral's education department to target more effectively those aged 18 to 30

# Sony to support other groups in Manchester fighting against gun crime.

Guess the money part wasn't that far off......

Comment

But is there anything wrong with what that money would be used for? The Church is saying remove or alter the offensive part, apologise, and donate some money to charity.

There are people out there who assume all video games bad, there are also people out there who assume everyone who has a problem with a video game is against all video games. Neither of these groups of people are right.

A game can have an adverse affect on a human, if that human is already suseptable to strong influences (the MMO addicts who die/suicide for example), on the flip side, a person can have an issue with a single game and not with all games as a whole (a Church believing Sony used their property without seeking correct permissions first in one of their games).

Also, bad news sells papers, don't take everything you read at face value.

Comment

Working...
                              X