Whats the "Vision?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the "Vision?"

Simple question really, I know nothing about EQ history, but the "vision" keeps coming up, what is it?

The VIsion is the source of 90% of all questions on this board and 40% of the arguement

Comment

"The Vision" is what Verant (not SoE) wanted the game to be. More specifically, how the classes would interact, how people would get from point A to point B, how a group of people would play the game, etc.
      Retired Player of EQ
      Enjoy the Simple things in life.

Comment

**Chuckles**
        Woody, may I reccommend making a sticky thread explaining what the Vision is? It's a question that is brought up on a semi regular basis.
        Now, granted, there have not been any previous threads about it on this forum.

The VisionTM was basically why things were as they were in EQ while it was owned by Verant. The Vision was why Ranger's weren't worth a drat, bards were broken after patches, etc.
        The VisionTM is well summed up in the phrase "Everything is working as intended."
        The colossal misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight will work with people who are unmotivated to change

Comment

It's something you do with your eyes.....
          TheBucci.com | Real ID: email @ thebucci.com | Steam: ciarin7

Comment

So it was an idea?
            What they wanted it to be, but never was.
            Kinda like Jurassic Park.

Comment

The Vision is a loose term for what the original designers of Everquest intended the game to become.
              Naryn Irontoe
              Cleric of Clericness
              Etc...

Comment

The vision was like a firm parent who set boundaries as to what the world would be like. The folks in charge of the vision were capable of telling the players, "no". Change was slow and deliberate (if at all) with close attention paid to how changes would affect class balance. While a particular class might be under-powered, it was well known that class X was under-powered and if you didn't like it you should re-roll as class Y. Each class had a niche and you could plan on filling a particular niche in the end-game even if it took you 12 months to get there.

In short, the vision provided stability.

But the players whined and moaned and complained and petitioned until one day the parent threw their hands up and said "okay! we're throwing out the vision and giving you what you want.".

And it's all been downhill since then...

But then, I'm one of the few that felt the vision was a good thing, and it's not a popular opinion around these parts.

Comment

what i think the vision is:

the halucination that the EQ game designers had created for themselves as a way to escape from the harsh world where nerds were not accepted... :lol:

Comment

heh, you could almost write a book on this, like it was some sort of government like communism. The book on "Vision." Too bad I don't really know much more than its purpose than to give it a formal story.

I have always been intrigued by governments, they are what run our lives. To understand them, is to understand how things work around us.

But lets not get off topic, "Vision"
                    so from what I've heard, its a what the game Designers "Thought" the game should be run like, and "enforced" these ways, until the Players complained so much. That the Designers gave up on their plans and let it flow the way the players wanted.

I guess thats why Woody drew the vision as a scroll, a document on which these ideas were written, very cleaver.

Thanks all, I think I understand what the vision was, why it was there and why it had been abandoned.

"really makes you think about communism and marxism doesn't it!"

Comment

basially had the vision still been around EQ today would not be what it is... Generic_Newb_1 has the beginning of the game handed to him on a silver plater these days. Which is undestandable since you have more newbs entering the game then high enders leaving it.. Everquest has evolved to be more player friendly... Gone are the days of the level 1 corpse run... the 4 hour adventure to get form point A to point B... many of the things that made EQ and RPG type game with real dangers from the day you set foot into your newb zone. Depending on yuor point of view the Vision kept the game on course, but also restricted what the devs could do with some content, UI, etc..
                      When it comes to you versus the world, bet on the world.

Comment

OK so SOE is more player friendly and supposed to make new players get the into the game quicker. Have they ever updated the Everquest Tutorial? I opened it for kicks the other night and GOSH it was the old UI. I barely remember how to move around. Matter of fact jumped in the river and never could make it out. Made me wonder. Is it still the same old tutorial on newer software?
                        Men are more timid than we are;sometimes the only way you can get one to move is by placing him in sharpest competition with another male.
                        - To Sail Beyond the Sunset

Comment

I miss the vision. Liked it or not, the vision kept the game moving towards a certain end. It was perfect but nothing really is. Without it we have turned the game into something that people are trying to "win" instead of "experience."
                          Retired Player of EQ
                          Enjoy the Simple things in life.

Comment

I'll have to agree with Wuphon that the Vision was a good thing

Which is one of the reasons I am looking forward to what Sigil has to offer us.
                            Naryn Irontoe
                            Cleric of Clericness
                            Etc...

Comment

People have been trying to "win" all along. And, the vision kept the Verant from truly pleasing the players. We made demands and they said "that's not within our vision" and "it's working as intended".

It was our need for "more" that has lead the game in the direction it went.

I think the sense of nostalgia is clouding people's memories of how things played out.

Comment

Working...
                              X