/played (11/5)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh...the EQ memories...

1) Players auctioning loot in the Commonlands Tunnel. This was before the bazaar was established, and the barter and trade that went on in that tunnel was amusing.

2) Before there was knowledge books, and teleport scions; druids were the main source of transportation. Wizzy’s could supplement, but a high level druid could make some descent plat taking people all over Norrath. But without a druid, sometimes half the challenge was getting everyone to the same zone.

3) Remember Wyrmslayer? SSOY? FFBS? Forest Loop? Back in the day, these were considered pretty decent gear to have; and “camping” for an item was born.

4) Train to the Zone! Remember when Ambassador D’Vinn went on the rampage? There were others, but D’Vinn was usually the first for most.

5) Fansy the Bard. His Tale was Epic. And his exploits gained the attention of the EQ Dev team; and they had to make some changes. His tale has been told many times over, here is the link: http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

6) And while I am at it, there is this classic; it’s been posted before, but definitely deserves a repost. “Has Anyone Seen My Corpse?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

7) Death of the Sleeper. Before "Leroy Jenkins" there was the Raid on Kerafrym the Dragon. In the gaming world, this was a big deal. http://lorehound.com/news/top-5-most...morpg-history/

I could go on, but I won’t. For many, Everquest was the “first time” for many people, and I liken the experience to your first crush, your first kiss, or first time on a rollercoaster.

I remember clearly wandering around as a human monk the Commonlands. It was pitch dark, and I would stumble into corpses, clicking on them and reading “it is futile to consider the dead…”. It was dark, and eerie, and I was lost; but I loved every minute of it. I remember getting attacked by a bear, and running for my life; hoping that I could make it to the back to the Freeport guards standing in front of the houses.

It was an amazing experience, and the adventures that followed could not be replaced or duplicated. There was a sense of community that was there, something that I have not found in any game since.

Of course the game had its problems. Broken quests, nerfed classes, lagging zones; and the list goes on. But for several years, the players took it in stride, and it was a great ride.

MMO’s will come and go, but EQ will always have a special place in my gaming heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Kylinee View Post
      I think a lot of the sense of wonder for me comes from the fear of death. In EQ that was a real and immediate threat. In WoW... not so much.
      This. I remember walking my lvl 8 high elf mage from gfay to erudin just to see if I could and then gating back. I don't think I killed a single monster on the way, but that run was one of the most fun things I've ever done in a game. Creeping through High Pass, watching out for Griffins and Cyclops in the Karanas, glimpsing a giant in the distance in Commonlands, taking two boats across oceans... all just to see what was there. The experience was immensely enhanced by the thought that if I died, I would materialize naked on another continent and all my gear would be hours away. The danger made the experience so much more vivid.

The reason I can't get into newer MMOs is that there is no consequences for failure, therefore there is no satisfaction in accomplishment (for me).

Comment

Oh, Everquest. I know I'm probably in the minority here...but I never enjoyed that game. A bunch of my friends were playing it so I bought it, installed it and logged in. I chose to play a Dark Elf...because...Dark Elves are generally awesome. Log in. Oh, look! A big underground city! Where...am I supposed to go? How do I get out of here? Three hours of walking around, and one friend logging in to help me later...I find my way out.

Time for my first quest. My friend says "Go talk to this person". Ok...what do I do? "Oh, you need to type in this very specific response to the quest giver to get the quest". How was I supposed to know that? "...."

I get to level 13, and I encounter my first death and subsequent corpse run. Die. Run back to my corpse. Die when looting my corpse. Run back to my corpse. Die when trying to get back to my corpse. Run back to my corpse. Continue until I de-level.

/quit

I fully acknowledge that the game just wasn't my cup of tea...but I really hated that game. I always enjoyed the GU comics that it inspired, though.

As for exploration, I always enjoyed roaming around WoW trying to find all of the little easter eggs. Guild Wars 2 does a really good job of rewarding exploration, which adds extra incentive to go see and do everything.

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Comment

Man, EQ was the absolute best, i loved that game. I have tried sooo many other MMO's and none have given me the sense of wonder and adventure i got from my 2nd MMO; EQ. I played UO first, and was like this is great. but EQ, wow, it was mind blowing. haha i never got my class epic, stupid mob in mistmantle dropped it, and quest bugged out in freeport (i think). GM's told me too bad. ... i really miss that sense of wonder.

Anyway, Kudo's for the kiddo, hope he enjoys that boat for a LONG LONG time

Comment

Originally posted by The Heap View Post
            This. I remember walking my lvl 8 high elf mage from gfay to erudin just to see if I could and then gating back. I don't think I killed a single monster on the way, but that run was one of the most fun things I've ever done in a game. Creeping through High Pass, watching out for Griffins and Cyclops in the Karanas, glimpsing a giant in the distance in Commonlands, taking two boats across oceans... all just to see what was there. The experience was immensely enhanced by the thought that if I died, I would materialize naked on another continent and all my gear would be hours away. The danger made the experience so much more vivid.

The reason I can't get into newer MMOs is that there is no consequences for failure, therefore there is no satisfaction in accomplishment (for me).
            I also loved that. I used to run my barbarians and erudites from their starting zone all the way to the High Elves. I actually got so good at it that I could regularly do it on level 5 characters. It's all about hugging the wall and knowing the terrain.

Whenever the subject of EQ comes up, I always like to reference "Under the Sky of Norrath" which is a Japanese comic strip series that really encapsulated my feeling of wonder when I first played that game. Sadly, the English version of Etta the Wood Elf and her friend Tilto the Dark Elf's story has been lost from the Internet. About half the comics are about getting horribly killed. That's pretty much EQ in a nutshell and it was awesome.

You can see the original Japanese version here. I think I may have the English translated pages saved somewhere though.

http://www.tinami.com/view/280893

Comment

Everquest comes up in my mind continually as what I compare all other MMO's to. WoW in all of its "eye candy graphics" glory can't match up to the game and value that EQ had. Seems that I carried that "noob wonder" through a lot of EQ play, for years, and then I finally realized how much of a power house Complete Heal actually was, then my eyes were opened :P I wish you had to do as much work to gain a level in today's games as you had to back in old EQ. Hell levels lived up to their name and in the end you felt that you really had to work to reach your goals. It made reaching them so much more valuable than any of the achievements that MMOs have now. Epic weapons were actually epic. I think I could go on and on.

Vess

Comment

To this day, no game has met the challenge on exploration, not being able to kill things way above your level, those silly trains to zone or the I got a huge upgrade!!, like EQ did for me in 1999.

Not to mention learning your character, the zones and when to not trust yourself with /follow.

Games now these days are easier to find groups and such, but I miss really putting time into your character and the since of danger of dying rather than 'I died, here's 5 silver to repair my gear'.

/sigh I miss you old-school EQ

http://www.paradroid.net/bf2stats/bf...d&pid=&lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by DashCat9 View Post
                  ...I fully acknowledge that the game just wasn't my cup of tea...but I really hated that game.
                  I don't think you are alone DashCat in this feeling. I had one friend who spent the time to install the game, and wandered around in fustration trying to find his group, before dying at the feet of a giant; only to discover he now had to go find his corpse. That was enough for him.

IMHO - Everquest was / is a very polarizing game; most people either love it or hate it.

Comment

I remember standing behind Steve (my brother) one day and gazing for the 1st time at would would later become 9 years. My eyes were with wonder at seeing this game my brothers, Chuck & Ken were always talking about. "Wow! Look at those people running around....where are they going??!" remembering thinking omg that's alot of quest characters. "Those are other players mostly. They could be doing questing, going to sell loot, anything really." "Most of the quest guys, bankers, traders in this zone are up there." (later learning the term PC/NPC's...EQ apparently had its own language!)

I what I was looking at was Kelathin, a great tree city as none I have ever seen before. As he looked up for me to see I saw a city that spanned my view with wooden bridges and vines and how cool was that??!!!?? With people scurrying here and there. You could talk to these other people! You could talk to the guards too if'n they didn't come after you because they didn't like you for some reason (unbeknownst to me at the time races liked/disliked different races....this was called "faction"!) Great bees & walking skeletons were not too far away if you wandered off.

It was a world of wonder and awe and it seemed endless. If you went so far you did this thing called "zoning" that took you to another place that seemed bigger! With more weird & cool stuff! and more things that seemed to dislike you and chase you around!! Sometimes people yelled stuff that the whole world could hear!! Like "D'Vinn to zone!!" which meant you were supposed to run away and not stand there going "Wawawow!! That must be 100 blue bobbing heads!!" *You have been slain by an Orc Champion...loading please wait..."

It was truly a fantastic place of magic.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._5479083_n.jpg

Comment

Yeah. I completely agree. I often look back on my fond noob days playing EQ. Running around looking to not get smished by Sand Giants in N.Ro, or hanging around in E. Comms looking for decent deals before people logged off trying to trade. Getting my first set of bronze armor and a langseax as a fighter, and finally being able to take on will-o-wisps and not die. When doing a quest that involved way too much time garnered you only a small reward slightly better than what you had before, but somehow it seemed worth it.
                      Hell Levels. Being terrified of traveling through Kith (which to this day I have still never fought in other than to help a rogue get their Epic for a grand total of 2 hours).
                      EQ gave you a sense of accomplishment, well about as much as you could get from an online game, because things were hard to do, and everyone loved the game. The people playing now-a-days (kids mostly) couldn't play a day in the old EQ world before giving up and quitting. It was hard.
                      The sense of community was awesome too. You were forced to band together to take on challenges, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do anything. I miss that old EQ terribly, and often. In its prime, it was the best game I ever played.
                      I quit and went back to the game 6 times and the last time I went back the game was so horrifically different that there was no way I could play it anymore. All well,... I still have my memories.
                      ~j (Ghazzkull Honourblade <Scions of Veeshan>)

Comment

Well first off, long time reader first time poster. Great Comics woody

Second of all my fondest memory was that of my monk on everquest, I played a iskar monk and when I needed to sale my wares I had to travel from there home town over to Freeport tunnels and it was a run trying to make it past the evil outpost that I had to get past in order to jump the boat, oh the memories of seeing my first giant and running my ass off from it, as well as my first corpse run into that outpost. I had to hire some evil guy to get my corpse because it was to hard for me to get it because my fake death was still in a weak position to work right.

Comment

My immediate thought wsas that I spent more time sliding off boats in EQ than staying on them >_<

Yup, the sense of wonder does fade and each new MMO only rekindles a bit of the old flame. It would take something really special to re-infuse this jaded old dog - something along the lines of Sword Art Online (just with the ability to log out and not have the game kill you) !
                          Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me !

Comment

I never played EQ but I did get into WoW around the 1.8 patch and played up until right before the Mists release. The entire expansion just really didn't interest me so I've passed on it for now.

In the mean time I've been playing Guild Wars 2 and I have to say that the sense of wonder and discovery is pretty high. No mounts, no flying, you can teleport all over the place but there are so many little nooks and crannies and hidden areas in the game that I can spend hours just combing over each zone. I've found chests and champion mobs hidden all over the place and I've had to screen cap locations to bring friends back to actually kill them. I also enjoy the fact that the game plays pretty intuitively unlike what WoW has been the last few years.

Comment

EQ was my first MMO too, and while I still get a little bit of nostalgia for it from time to time, I also recognize how fundamentally terrible it was. (Not so fond recollections of getting smashed down by a sand giant while I was sitting minding my own business inside a BUILDING. Couldn't even SEE the dumb thing.)

For a sense of a WORLD, which what I valued about a lot of early MMOs, I feel that LotRO still gives me the best sense of one. Yes, it has a lot of modernizations and concessions to "new school" MMO design, but at it's heart, it does a pretty good job of making a world that feels real. Especially the older content (up until Moria) and the newest content in Riders of Rohan.

It's also Free To Play, and I recommend it to everyone.

Comment

Ah the fun of creating an Iksar Monk when Kunark first came out and making it from Kunark all the way to Qeynos to work on the Monk quests. It may sound annoying but spending a couple hours making your way through unfamiliar zones populated by creatures much higher level than you was great. Dealing with boats and no in-game maps made it an adventure to go anywhere.

I still play EQ but the world has gotten much smaller due to all the instant ports to everywhere. I wouldn't even know how to run to most places now. However, the 54 man raids just keep me playing as I love that environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X