/played II (11/6)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /played II (11/6)

I had no intention of doing a follow up to yesterday's comic. But I woke up this morning to the sounds of a very frustrated 4 year old because WoW servers were down for routine Tuesday maintenance.

I'll be honest with you here, I don't remember the servers being down. I know, logically, they had to be. And I'm absolutely certain it frustrated the crap out of me. But I must have blocked it out or something.

I'd also like to let you in on how the kiddo actually functions while playing. He will routinely get up during a fight to perform high impact calisthenics where others might faceroll their keyboard instead. He jumps about and growls and switches between pop culture references: Ben 10, Transformers, Plants vs. Zombies. If I could master that kind of transition, I probably wouldn't be roughly potato shaped.

Hilarious. And yes I remembered many a "on noes the servers are down" panic attack back in my hard core gaming days. Now, I've just come to accept it because I *know* Tuesdays are scheduled down times. Now when they go down any other time, the nerd rage will still occasionally show itself.

Comment

I remember the first time I encountered server maintenance on EverQuest. I didn't know what to do, I just saw the countdown and I was thunderstruck. I had just finally traveled from Faydwer to the Dervish camp for the first time, and I'd never seen this happen before.

Comment

Oh, how I remember the servers going down. There was the "smash the log-in screen to get back on first to run for prime targets," and the worse "yeah, we've been up camping Ragefire for 38 hours straight, then the server crashed and it came back up with full giant spawn, including King Tranix and Magus Rokyl! (but no ragefire...)" UGH!!!

Comment

The difference was that back in EQ the servers were down for like once a month, and usually then for 12-48 hours. So it was both easier and harder. Easier because you just chalked up that day as a loss and went about your day. Harder because there was no playing for that day.

Comment

Only time i even notice server down times are when the time it will be back up gets pushed back over and over again.
            PROTECT ME CONE!!!

Comment

So True. First couple of times I encountered the extended maintenance of EQ I didn't know what to do with myself.

Now its the other way around. When the little one is down for extended maintenance (aka sleep) if I feel like it I'll log in to an MMO for a bit of a run around and when the servers down its I'll go and spend time with a good book instead.

Comment

The server downtime I remember most from my EQ days is not maintenance, but all the times Morrell-Thule crashed and everyone would head to the login chat room to speculate as to what happened to the server hamsters this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuggran View Post
                  The server downtime I remember most from my EQ days is not maintenance, but all the times Morrell-Thule crashed and everyone would head to the login chat room to speculate as to what happened to the server hamsters this time.
                  Truth! This happened on Prexus quite a bit as well, since it was one of the older servers. We used to joke that the other servers didn't have these problems because they were real servers, made with technology, while Prexus was a hollowed out tree stump powered by hamsters on those little wheels.

My core group and I actually started playing CoH during these random server crashes. Our thoughts were "Well, server is down. Which means a patch, and then another patch to fix what got screwed up with the first patch. Looks like we won't be playing EQ today."

Comment

Originally posted by Maliris View Post
                    Truth! This happened on Prexus quite a bit as well, since it was one of the older servers. We used to joke that the other servers didn't have these problems because they were real servers, made with technology, while Prexus was a hollowed out tree stump powered by hamsters on those little wheels.
                    You had hamsters? On the test server, we had Evil people who squished the roaches running our server on a regular basis, I never did get them to tell me how they got them to run on those tiny wheels.
                    all typos are intentional
                    Sarriss Songtail level 90 Troubadour of Oasis (EQ2)
                    Daelen Forginglight level ?? of Test (EQ1, retired)

Comment

I'd also like to let you in on how the kiddo actually functions while playing. He will routinely get up during a fight to perform high impact calisthenics where others might faceroll their keyboard instead. He jumps about and growls and switches between pop culture references: Ben 10, Transformers, Plants vs. Zombies. If I could master that kind of transition, I probably wouldn't be roughly potato shaped.
                      Who ever finds a way to replicate a child's energy level for an adult will be a billionaire by end of the week.

Comment

See... I played on Prexus. I must just be blocking it.

Comment

Originally posted by oneton45 View Post
                          Who ever finds a way to replicate a child's energy level for an adult will be a billionaire by end of the week.
                          Except they will never divulge it because they will be busy running around like a kid again, for hours on end.
                          PROTECT ME CONE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroZero View Post
                            Except they will never divulge it because they will be busy running around like a kid again, for hours on end.
                            They would divulge it, only to use it and the money to be a kid agian.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
                              See... I played on Prexus. I must just be blocking it.
                              What?! I was on that server from Velious to SoF. How is it that I never ran into you, even by pure chance or dumb luck? It wasn't exactly swarming with people.

Originally posted by oneton45 View Post
                              Meth.

EDIT* - Yes Woody. You are blocking it. I try my best to do so as well during my moments of EQ nostalgia.

Comment

Working...
                              X