Put It Away (2/25)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put It Away (2/25)

My pal Dripnote (the one behind the DM screen) has instituted a new policy at his sessions where monsters get a +2 bonus while you have your smart phone out. And, I absolutely love it. It's not an issue that I've felt I needed to address at my Friday night game. It's pretty rampant on Sunday nights. I don't DM that game though. The guy complaining is my other pal Dubble J. It's worth noting that he is NOT a smart phone offender. But other folks have appeared in the comic so it was J's turn.

---

We've got less than 2 weeks on the indie gogo campaign. But it's still in my best interest to mention it until time runs out. We're unlikely to hit the goal, but all of the perks are valid. So even if it doesn't fully fund, you get your goodies. For most people that means a discount on 3 month and 12 month Fancast subscriptions. But for the truly dedicated it means original artwork, chances to appear in the comic, etc. So if you've got some cash laying around and you want to support GU's effort to go ad free, I'd appreciate it.

GU Ad Free @ IndieGoGo

The group I play with is in another city(Ottawa) and I Skype into the game. Ends up being fun and I can stay in touch with the guys!

Comment

Very nice rule. Part of my old group is getting back together next month to start running through the Dragonlance campaign. Since it relies a bit more on RP than others, I might have to bring up the idea of something like a smartphone bonus. The only exception would have to be the DM/host's wife since she would occasionally get up and baked cookies/brownies/pies/whatever during other peoples turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackfyre View Post
        Very nice rule. Part of my old group is getting back together next month to start running through the Dragonlance campaign. Since it relies a bit more on RP than others, I might have to bring up the idea of something like a smartphone bonus. The only exception would have to be the DM/host's wife since she would occasionally get up and baked cookies/brownies/pies/whatever during other peoples turns.
        My personal belief with smartphones and cellphones that people text with is the feeling of being unimportant, for a conversation with people that aren't there is more important that being with your friends that are sitting around the table with you. Heck I get and move a lot myself because I have a hard time sitting still, but I am still being engaged with the group, the people that have their smartphones out get distracted and we have to wait on them to finish before moving.

Comment

I agree with what you are saying, Sanunes. However, if I get a text or call from an immediate family member (i.e. parents, siblings, wife, or children), that trumps everyone at the table (including the DM). Anyone else that texts or calls, though, can wait until after the session is over.

Comment

I love this rule! I can't count how many times I've been out with friends and they are all glued to their phones. I'll admit, if I am sitting at home, not watching a show I like or playing a video game, I usually have my smart phone out dill-dallying away keeping myself busy. But I'm also one of those people who have a hard time sitting still if I'm not really into something. I get bored easy so I use my phone to try and not disturb others. In a game of DnD, I would definitely keep it put away though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathorius View Post
              I agree with what you are saying, Sanunes. However, if I get a text or call from an immediate family member (i.e. parents, siblings, wife, or children), that trumps everyone at the table (including the DM). Anyone else that texts or calls, though, can wait until after the session is over.
              There are always exceptions, but abuse the exception too long and the goodwill can evaporate. Its when it happens so frequently it becomes more of a "why are you here" because they are spending more time on the phone then with the group.

Comment

I'm an offender. While that sounds like the start of a 12-step program for it, I don't apologize for it. I can multi-task, and I can also prioritize. Not only do I have my phone available during the game (hell, it's how I send messages to the GM instead of the OBVIOUS folded piece of paper), but I also have my laptop out and usually doing software updates. My defense is that I don't have HSIA, so I have to take it where I can get it. But I do stress that the ability to multi-task as well as prioritize really is all that matters. And when I GM, I can say it doesn't bother me. If that person misses something, well...they obviously failed their perception roll.
                Nosferatu (of Everlore)
                aka Erobate of Tunare
                Member of Elidor

Comment

It should be noted here that texting isn't the primary problem. Facebooking, following sports, browsing, etc. is. And I don't care how well someone can multitask. Playing D&D with friends is escapism. If a player at my table (while I'm DMing) can't commit to that, I'm not interested in them being at my table. It's disrespectful of the rest of the group. I know what it's like not to have a lot of free time. But if it's such an issue, that person shouldn't be playing.

Of course this all just my opinion and how I view my own groups. Each DM sets their own table rules. It probably doesn't help that I dislike smart phones in general.

Comment

But my smart phone lets me play Plants Vs Zombies that you got my addicted to when you first talked about it! Ha ha.

Comment

I hear there are some cool apps to help with DnD and other table top games. I'm sure this would complicate such a rule, but I tend to agree if the phone or ipad is being used as a distraction from the game, what's the point of being there?

Comment

A DM trying that for any game I've played at (at least for the last few years) would be informed of exactly how they might get bent. Dice rollers, status trackers, note taking software, Digital maps, digital character sheets and reference materials, etc. Far easier, convenient, and neater then lugging shite across the city.

Comment

Not to mention accessible monster data so no powers are secret. No hit points or defensive weaknesses obscured. Right? /sarcasm

Pshh. If a player told me, or any DM I've played with, to get bent for establishing the rules of the table, I'd show them the door. Only thing worse than wasting our time zoning out on a cellphone is being an arrogant slapass who assumes they're more important than the entire group dynamic. People coming to my table only have to bring one thing with them... and that's themselves. They can print their character sheets here as they need them. They can borrow dice if they need to. I have hundreds of miniatures to choose from. A stack of reference books and a D&D Insider account.

Comment

I guess its all how you play. Ive played some games with the basketball game on in the background and everyone goofing around. We just play it to have some fun we arn't really dedicated with it. But I can see how someone who plays "hardcorish" or to be immersed might find phones a problem.

Comment

I don't think I'd classify anyone at the table "hardcorish", but it can get frustrating when people aren't sure what they're going to do when their turn comes up because they were focused on their smartphone while everyone else was going.

Comment

Working...
                              X