At the Center (8/13)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the Center (8/13)

To hear Phil Spencer, Microsoft's Head of Xbox, tell it, the company is putting gamers at the center of their gaming strategy. Since stepping into the position Spencer has been blurring the lines between Xbox and PC gaming at every run-on sentence laden speech he's given. [more info] But, Microsoft's direction, from my perspective, is no different than it was with the original Xbox's launch. They want to be in your living room. Though that carries a certain "entertainment" connotation, it's more than that. I think Microsoft literally wants to be in your house, taking notes about the food you eat, the things you say, the shows you watch, the people you call, etc. So having an executive say something like "putting gamers at the center" should probably be read as "we think we found our way in".

As for the comic, I assume a lot by just putting in the acronym for a "Blue Screen of Death". It's an archaic term at this point. But it has become part of our computer lexicon whether we're PC users or not. I've not actually seen a BSOD in a long time. So long in fact that I just assumed it had been removed as a potential result from current iterations of the Windows operating systems. But no, a quick search reveals this not to be the case. Windows 8 topped the "stop error" screen with a sad face emoticon. And, if I read reports correctly, Windows 10 currently pops up a window that reads "Something happened" in white text over a blue background. That's it. No details. "Something" happened. I eye-rolled just then. You couldn't see it; but, I totally did.

Oh I truly wish BSoDs were a thing of the past, as a tech I can tell you I see them every other day....and yeah the Win10 "Something happened" is gonna suck. At least the BSoD error code gives us some error details to work with without having to delve into the logs.

Comment

In all the images I've seen, the "Something happened" error only pops up when you're trying to update. I've updated successfully and can confirm that Windows 10 has something similar to the BSoD, though it's just happened the one time, so I don't remember many details. It's not a blue screen any more (I wanna say it's purple now) but it serves essentially the same purpose.

Comment

Eh, the funny thing is, I bet to most computer users, "Something happened" is just as informative as the BSoD. Makes me wonder if it was done purposefully to keep nonprofessionals from trying to fix their own computer via googling everything that appeared on their screen when "something happened" and hoping someone has the right fix for it instead of making it worse (because now there are TWO things wrong with it) Maybe they are just lazy and didnt want to set the program up so it displayed what went wrong? I have no idea how any of that computer programming stuff works so for all I know they hit a deadline and slapped a bit of filler into that spot so it could go live.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
          To hear Phil Spencer, Microsoft's Head of Xbox, tell it, the company is putting gamers at the center of their gaming strategy.
          Ah, but to hear reality tell it, Microsoft is worried about the new Steam console that already does the same thing.
          Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Comment

I experienced the BSOD on a Win 7 before....and I think it was basically the same screen as it had always been. Which would suggest they didn't change anything about it until Win 8.

And while I can understand doing the "something happened" thing so stupid consumers don't make things worse (assuming that's even the reason behind that decision to begin with), it's not particularly helpful when said consumer takes it to an actual computer wiz, either. I'd much rather have the screen tell me SOMETHING about what happened rather than have to try and dig around everywhere trying to figure it out without any leads whatsoever apart from "something is wrong and that's why we're fixing this".
            "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

Yeah, "something happened" is just too vague in my books. Does that mean my computer froze because aliens crashed into Pluto, the black hole at the centre of our galaxy farted, a butterfly flapped it's wings ? At least the old bsod gave some clues you could hunt for.

The other concern is the whole "centre of your world" bull. Maybe I'm old fashioned (child of the '60s so hey) but I want my gadgets and electronics to do what I want when I want - not rat on me and sell my data courtesy of a user licence agreement longer than Henry V.

Some of the xbox/PC crossover I can understand, a compatible system increases the player base for online games, but the two are fundamentally different species. The PC is a tool that has grown up to play games, while the console is a games machine that...... well, plays games. I've grown up with both over the years, though in all honesty when my 360 and PS3 die I'm unlikely to replace them.
              Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me !

Comment

Originally posted by KingQyyn View Post
                In all the images I've seen, the "Something happened" error only pops up when you're trying to update. I've updated successfully and can confirm that Windows 10 has something similar to the BSoD, though it's just happened the one time, so I don't remember many details. It's not a blue screen any more (I wanna say it's purple now) but it serves essentially the same purpose.
                So hey, it just happened to me again, thought I'd update my post.

It is still blue. Technical information isn't abundant, but it DOES offer more than "something happened." In my case, it basically told me to, once my computer restarted, go google "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" to see what went wrong.

Comment

Even with the BSODs, I'm delving into my end user's logs to find the problem anyways. They don't always look at the code before rebooting, then trying to call in about the problem. LOL

Comment

I'll believe that when I see Halo 3+ on the PC, and not before.

Comment

Working...
                    X