Scholarship (5/9)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship (5/9)

Someone I know works at Daybreak. I didn't realize they worked at Daybreak until earlier this evening when I saw a notice in their facebook feed about Daybreak offering a $10,000 "Gamers In Real Life" scholarship. [more info] My response was snarky and immediate. Then I realized it would make a half decent comic that harkened back to GU's earlier days as a psuedo-political comic that existed in the gaming-verse. So, here we all are.

Despite my grumpiness with the "vultures" I feel are actually responsible for the shuttering of EQ Next, I still have some lingering animosity for Daybreak itself. That'd be where the sauciness over the scholarship announcement extends from. Now, I'm all for offering scholarships. It just feels a bit on the nose after cancelling a game and laying off so many developers.

That, to me, would feel like taking a scholarship from a mob boss. Sure, it's money, and who wants to turn down a scholarship, but it has that... "not-so-fresh" feel to it.
    Mystwind - 100 Blood Elf Monk, Doomhammer
    Aeryanna - 91 Blood Elf Death Knight, Doomhammer
    Kweezi - 77 Goblin Hunter, Doomhammer
    Catila - 55 Gnome Rogue (EQ Test) (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Catila Amano View Post
      That, to me, would feel like taking a scholarship from a mob boss. Sure, it's money, and who wants to turn down a scholarship, but it has that... "not-so-fresh" feel to it.
      Particularly due to the discriminatory nature of it, considering women (including G.I.R.L.'s) already make up the much larger percentage of university students, and already have access to a huge amount of scholarships, grants, and assistances unavailable to young men simply because they're male. This scholarship is completely superfluous, it's purely a marketing ploy.
      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Comment

Working...
      X