Death Threat (5/30)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Threat (5/30)

So, it seems that upon announcing a delay in the release schedule for No Man's Sky, Sean Murray, the Managing Director for Hello Games, received "loads of death threats". [more info]The Kotaku writer who first reported the delay received Death Threats. Hell, even -I- have received death threats. (Not for No Man's Sky, but still.)

I'd like to write more, but I'm damn tired and seem to be having issues forming cogent sentences.

In short, I think threatening to kill someone because they reported a delay to a game is dumb.
    Thoughts?

Wow, that Sean Murray sure is a talented -- and, I'm guessing, a very busy guy. Producing/Directing a game as well as starring in a hit TV show (as Very Special Agent Timothy McGee [the "Very" part recently appended to his title by formerly Very Special Agent Anthony Dinozzo]).

Wait, what? They're different people? Bah, way to dash my sense of wonder and amazement!

In reality, I'm kind of glad No Man's Sky has been delayed -- it gives me more time to save up for it.
    Mystwind - 100 Blood Elf Monk, Doomhammer
    Aeryanna - 91 Blood Elf Death Knight, Doomhammer
    Kweezi - 77 Goblin Hunter, Doomhammer
    Catila - 55 Gnome Rogue (EQ Test) (Retired)

Comment

I really don't understand this behavior and think calling the behavior dumb is an understatement. I am pretty sure there would be consequences if a company did what Curt Schilling did when his daughter was harassed on Twitter by finding out who the people were behind the aliases and publicly linking them to their comments. I still would like to see that happen especially with the comments that are being made more and more frequent behind aliases.

Comment

Possibly one of the silliest things people could do over a game. We've all had a game we were waiting for that get's delayed. You always have to tell yourself that this delay is going to make sure the game is done right. I want to see him wait for Soul Reaver for a whole damn extra year. But it is sad that people are so full of themselves and try to get attention by sending fake death threats.
        PROTECT ME CONE!!!

Comment

Yet another symptom of the entitled generation, same as that Neil Gaiman wrote about : http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html

Comment

Originally posted by Vermi View Post
            Yet another symptom of the entitled generation, same as that Neil Gaiman wrote about : http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html
            Seriously dude?
            People have been sending death threats to each other for decades, probably centuries but it takes more effort to get at those records and I don't have the time. I just googled "Death threats 19XX" and got hits. Sending death threats or people demanding media content is not exclusive to a generation. The Beatles had unruly fans, Elvis had riots, there's a wikipedia page that lists riots at sporting events. People can be douchebags.

I don't think age and maturity are a factor either. For every story you bring up of some young person being an asshole there's another story of an older person doing the exact same thing.

I don't believe millennials are entitled. We are working with what we got. That includes things like cell phones and the internet but also includes things like crippling college debt and a job market where it's been reported that 40% of millennials are unemployed. I doubt that 40% of the 75.4 million millennials are feeling very entitled. And facing an economy that has been globally shifting because of cheap labor in a global economy and cheaper or even "free" production costs (digital media distribution costs are essentially free. EX. 1 million digital albums versus 1 million CD albums) changing how the economy functions I'm not surprised that some millennials are doing whatever it takes to get ahead and create a life for themselves.

Comment

Moral of the story? Keep your promises and nobody gets hurt lol

Seriously though, it isn't just millennials. Before the internet, you just said it to your friends in their living room, now you say it on social media where more people see it. People are still just as douchey as ever, but their voices carry further now.

Comment

Ignoring the fact that, yes, it is obviously stupid to make death threats over a game.... From a purely logical standpoint, the only time it makes sense is if the game has been delayed for a decade or more. In which case, removing the entire development team and replacing them with monkey's may actually speed up the process. Short of that, much better to threaten a maiming and offer a free trip to Vegas if it's on time. Gotta remember that carrot for the stick.
                The Discordant Dreams of Electric Sheep - Short Stories, Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews, and General Ramblings

Comment

The joke's on those threat senders. People who sends threats quite often ends up in jail and generally you can't play any game while in jail. So if the game is finally released while the joker's still in jail, he won't be able to enjoy it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wilykat View Post
                    The joke's on those threat senders. People who sends threats quite often ends up in jail and generally you can't play any game while in jail. So if the game is finally released while the joker's still in jail, he won't be able to enjoy it at all.
                    Riiiiigggghhhhhhtttttt. If that were actually true, our jails would be filled to the brim with the 15 yr old male population that owned an Xbox.
                    The Discordant Dreams of Electric Sheep - Short Stories, Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews, and General Ramblings

Comment

Death Threats and Lawsuits NEVER speed up development. In fact, when they have any effect at all they slow it down or completely derail it.
                      If you want a game out as quickly as possible, and you have more than one functioning brain cell, then you don't engage in those counterproductive activities.
                      I have a wandering mind, but that's ok, it brings back presents. >^_^<

Comment

Originally posted by barasawa View Post
                        Death Threats and Lawsuits NEVER speed up development. In fact, when they have any effect at all they slow it down or completely derail it.
                        If you want a game out as quickly as possible, and you have more than one functioning brain cell, then you don't engage in those counterproductive activities.
                        Instead, you mail bribe-cake and nerf toys to the development team.

Comment

Originally posted by Valdius View Post
                          Instead, you mail bribe-cake and nerf toys to the development team.
                          People still will complain, look at what happened with BioWare when they donated the cupcakes sent to them over the Mass Effect 3 endings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanunes View Post
                            People still will complain, look at what happened with BioWare when they donated the cupcakes sent to them over the Mass Effect 3 endings.
                            Ah, but those were Protest Cupcakes, not Bribe-Cake, totally different things!

Comment

Working...
                            X