The Boring Dead (12/11)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boring Dead (12/11)

I have not seen any of the current season of the walking dead. I've seen up to the last episode of season 6. (Thank Netflix!) So, everything I know about Negan comes from the last 12 minutes of that episode, and what I've read online. What I can tell you is that I was tired of his yammering before that 12 minutes was up. So, the idea of an entire season of this guy? Ughh. No thanks. Well earlier today I read an article on Forbes titled "Negan isn't the only thing ruining 'The Walking Dead' but he still needs to go". [more info] Reading the article paralleled some of my thoughts on the TV version of the character. If the writers aren't inclined to, maybe the 6 million viewer drop will convince AMC to shut the guy up.

As it stands though, I have zero interest in watching season 7 when it hits Netflix. Am I wrong? I'd like to hear the thoughts of folks actually watching the show.

Originally posted by Woody View Post
    I have not seen any of the current season of the walking dead. I've seen up to the last episode of season 6. (Thank Netflix!) So, everything I know about Negan comes from the last 12 minutes of that episode, and what I've read online. What I can tell you is that I was tired of his yammering before that 12 minutes was up. So, the idea of an entire season of this guy? Ughh. No thanks. Well earlier today I read an article on Forbes titled "Negan isn't the only thing ruining 'The Walking Dead' but he still needs to go". [more info] Reading the article paralleled some of my thoughts on the TV version of the character. If the writers aren't inclined to, maybe the 6 million viewer drop will convince AMC to shut the guy up.

As it stands though, I have zero interest in watching season 7 when it hits Netflix. Am I wrong? I'd like to hear the thoughts of folks actually watching the show.
    I find that, often times, the issue isn't the character or the episode, but the span of time between new episodes that ruins things. Waiting a week (or two or three) interrupts the flow of action and scenes, creating an artificial jarring narrative that doesn't actually exist when the whole season is watched more seamlessly. Battlestar Galactica had the same problem with the four whole episodes it took before the show moved on from New Caprica (that's right, it was only 4). Similar to TWD with season 2 and "the barn." People complained about how it felt like an eternity before anything got resolved, but that was never actually the case. It just felt longer because of the downtime between episodes. I'd wager that season 7 watched in a more continuous fashion will be a different experience.

Think about reading a book, and then taking a week off between every chapter or whenever anything starts to get interesting. It breaks the immersion and pulls you out of the narrative.

Comment

Though I agree somewhat with LostSoul (I started to wait so I can binge-watch whole Seasons about 2 or 3 years ago) there are some series you canīt wait (mainly due to spoilers) : TWD, GoT and the likes. And I donīt think the main reason for TWD losing viewers is the weekly schedule (remember : the first 6 seasons were weekly, too). IMO the shifting from danger through the zombie-apocalypse to danger from other humans/survivors is a little ..... less outstandig to other series (Lost anyone?). So there is much lesser need to watch exactly TWD. And the everchanging places from episode to episode that started in season 3 or 4 arenīt helping, too - it is more a break in the flow than the weekly schedule.

Comment

I stopped watching it around they time they were in the prison, or by the end of that season at least. It got too boring, not least because I'd already been fed up with zombies for years. They've been tired since well before we got sick of sparkly vampires. That being said, I'd been getting the impression that everyone loved Negan, and that he'd saved the show. Guess not.
        Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Comment

I have to agree that his character acts like a cartoon character on steroids. No character on any show that has the amount of influence he does acts like he does. The last guy who acted close to he does around Rick got his juggular ripped out by Rick's teeth.The one good thing about today's episode is it's building to a resolution finally, which is pretty much par for a midseason finale. But if the comics are an example at all, Negan will be around for a long time, just sidelined after he ceases being a threat.

Comment

You're not entirely wrong, Woodz. Negan *IS* a longwinded sumbiatch. In this, however, JDM is playing him true to the comic character. Negan talks talks talks, and then all that talking is sometimes followed up by a brutal physical example of what happens when people ignore what he's been droning on about...

Comment

for us, the suspense to know who actually got taken out was the drive to watch the first episode of season 7. from there, it became a character building exercise of the Saviors, The Kingdom, the politics at Alexandria, and so on. i will admit, this season is a slow burn, much like Hershel's farm in season 2. but like before, that usually explodes into something fantastic. it is a tactic used before by AMC: was it really interesting to watch them farming crops in the prison yard? of course not. the first half of season 2 was also meh, the constant look for Sophia that culminated in the barn, the slow erosion of ties between Rick and Shane. we are big comic fans, so we know the story. AMC's diverging from the comics is a delight and keeps us coming back every Sunday. Negan is that smiling, "you can't hurt me", seemingly invincible bully some of us have dealt with at some point. he has an army at his back; no one knows how many Saviors there are. they demonstrate a casual cruelty that is sometimes hard to watch. season 7 is full of "wow, they really went there" and "oh no you didn't" moments. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is absolutely perfect in the role. the ones who keep saying, "he's ruining the show," aren't paying attention or don't know the series (which happens in adaptations).
              Last edited by Ingeloak; December 12th, 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

My problem is that the characters have been developed in such a way that the current situation is out of character. Okay at the beginning of season 7 Rick was broken, but not Carl or Michone. In Season 3 Carl shows he has no hesitation in killing someone he sees as a threat. Yet has had 2 opportunities to take out Neegan and hesitates both times. They've also made it rather obvious to the characters that the saviors would disintegrate without Neegan. That's the problem I am having with the season, well developed characters are now acting as if they weren't already developed.

Comment

Full disclosure, I have only read a handful of the comics and they would all fall within the first season. So, my opinion of Negan was not a preformed one. All I know is that I got so bored with his yammering that I ended up having to watch the end of the episode several times, because I kept tuning out before he was done. To hear that the yammering continues on throughout the season is what turns me off of the character. And, at this point, I've not seen enough of the actor playing the role of Negan to make any kind of determination as to whether or not he would bias me against the character even more. The only other role I can remember him in was the Comedian in Watchmen. So, if I've seen him in other films/tv shows, the roles were completely forgettable. That's not necessarily a point against his acting. It could have very easily been the writing.

Comment

I have to say that I didn't like Negan in the TV series at the end of season 6 because he appeared too soft to me. Even with the famous Lucille moment, he just had a baby face, unlike Negan in the comics who also dropped the F bomb every other word in a sentence. However, now I'm really seeing Jeffrey Dean Morgan bring out the true aspect of Negan. I think part of it is that he's had more time to adjust to the role, though. I read that he was given the script two weeks before filming started and he didn't even know who he was playing until that point.

Honestly, I watched the first episode of the season online just to find out who died. If it was one of my two deal breakers then I wasn't going to buy the season (I buy them on Amazon every year, even though I have Netflix). But, I bought the rest of the episodes. I was starting to get bored with it, but Sunday's episode was so awesome that it completely drew me back into the show. I can't wait to see what happens from here on.

If anything, I definitely suggest reading the comics. The general story stays the same, but the characters are much different as the story progresses. Their personalities, the roster, death scenes and everything vary as it goes. It's definitely fun to compare the differences and see if the show follows suit.

Comment

Well, the Compendium's have been on my wishlist for years. Guess the Fam' doesn't believe I really want them. **grins**

Comment

<removed>
                        Last edited by Ingeloak; December 14th, 2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X