Drawing Techiques

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing Techiques

It would be intresting how other people start off their pictures.
    I start off with pencil then edit, outline with a gel pen "im cheap, I know" and finally scan onto Adobe and color away!

hows everyone else do it?

Question: my pen doesn't write if I go over the pencil, is there a special pen for this, or a special pencil??? Any help will be appricated!

I use a pen mostly. Sometime I use a pencil for the more intricate things, like a cathedral.

If I'm doing something realistic, I have a model in front of me and I start sketching what I see. I just pick an area and go from their. With people I usually start with the forehead, eyes, or the hair.

If I do color, it's usually in acrylic or oils. The dragon I did was the first time I've used digital media.

If I'm doing something abstract or surreal, I just sketch something and continuously add upon it.
    TheBucci.com | Real ID: email @ thebucci.com | Steam: ciarin7

Comment

I jump around.

Mostly I'll start with the face... Eyes, nose, mouth and such. Then I may jump to the hands or the arms, then the beltline, then feet, then back to the head again. I'm kinda sparatic like that.

Only some of my pictures turn out the way I want them to though unfortunately. I need to hit up a school to refine my work.

On the other hand, if I let my hand go, normally it'll come up with something really abstract. Or a few random cartoon characters. Those are the pieces of work that I like to call my 'poop pages'. They have no energy, thought, or time put in them. I'm normally day dreaming or half asleep when I do these. I tend to like how they turn out, on a few random occasions that I dont, I rip up the paper, and start anew.

Just kinda depends on my mood and/or what time of day it is for me.
      Hol˙bovine - Tauren ret/prot pally
      Formo - Human Paladin
      Zraxth - Troll fury warrior
      Real ID: tenolein at gmail.com Feel free to add me (and tell me who you are, too).

Comment

I almost always start with the eyes, and in pencils. I only began using ink to go over the sketches when I decided to start scanning them in and coloring with photoshop. Most of the time I stick with pencil. My cheap arse uses pilot gel pens, too. I try to splurge on paper though, and get the smoothest-yet-most affordable kind possible. I use 70lb/sheet paper, dunno what that translates into, but I find the lines stay cleaner on it. I know Woody says he uses bristol board, and that seems to work pretty darn well

With animals, I'm finding, I have to do the outline of the critter first then work on the eyes/face after the outline is established. If I start with the eyes the animals look too human.

Other medias... I've worked a little with watercolor and acrylic, but as it stands, since I last moved, I can't find any of my durn paintbrushes and I'm at a point in my life where I can't buy more.

Comment

I suck at drawing, but how I start is a simple circle for the head, about 5/6th of the way up the page. The rest of the body I base on that. Torso is 2 1/2 heads tall, legs are 3 heads tall, they're 1 1/2 - 2 heads wide, depending.

Comment

phear!! when i try to do something it always looks like total crap!! I randomly start withwhatever I can think of doing first. sometimes teh head, sometimes the armor the character is wearing!! like I sed, I'm horrible at this and I really want to get good at it. but like woody says, keep doodling and you'll get better!! hopefuly i will someday
            Insert cool sig here!

Comment

I do a very light outlines using between 4h-8h pencils on drawing paper then use the 01-05 pens to outline it then do the shading.
              then I scan the outlines, tweak it (using RGB mode) on the brightness/contrast using Adobe Photoshop 6, then color it with Opencanvas, and finish the rest back at Photoshop again.
              I was alliance for 3 years but somehow I got turned into horde
              what happened?

Comment

Damn, 8H pencils? I can barely see the lines at that hardness. I think it's a bias I grew up with though---I learned to draw with cheap mechanical pencils, so I tend to want to use B or HB pencils, or even a 2b. Been trying to draw with 3H though, leaves less un-erasable lines behind

Comment

lightest I ever use is 2h.....
                  TheBucci.com | Real ID: email @ thebucci.com | Steam: ciarin7

Comment

My work is shoddy and done with a $1 Mech Pencil and Eraser, so most times I sell commision for almost Dirt.

Comment

I only draw with mechanical pencils hahahaa. /hide
                      I get lazy and dont wanna resharpen crap as I go. As for technique I mainly just doodle in regualar sketch books and I hardly ever touch the original sketch with ink or color or anything if I can help it (too scared to mess it up) If I want to color it I use photo shop. Just scan in the pencil and work on it there. Sometimes I just free hand in photoshop too but that can get fustrating if you dont have an unlay drawing to match it up to.

When drawing bodies I ALWAYS start with the head or else I wont be able to add it later with out it looking off centered and what not. Then from there I work from the neck down following the torso and pelvis. Once you get the angle of that you can easily follow through with the limbs that way you dont get weird twised limbs that dont line up with your shoulders or hips and stuff.

Animals for me are down the same way head first. I normally try to stay away from buildings and such....straight lines are not my friend.

One thing I REALLY REALLY wanna work on is hair highlight and shading. I got the basics but I totally drool over Anime pix with really great hair!

ok nuff babble from moi

Comment

Re: Drawing Techiques

Originally posted by no one in particular
                        Question: my pen doesn't write if I go over the pencil, is there a special pen for this, or a special pencil??? Any help will be appricated!
                        gel ink is pretty much dye in jello. it'll only stick to skin and paper, so if you're retracing over pencil, you'll want to use real ink. Personally, i use Pilot Precise pens, they come in 4 colors an 2 sizes, though for professional level illustration, you'll want to look into investing in rapidograph, which are a wee bit more expensive than pilots.
                        now lurking in a thread near you: The Answer Panda

Comment

I go Eyes then head, then a jigsaw of body parts, and it's all ugly on paper untill its Inked. ofcourse I dont draw Body Skeletons, just wing the proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by lymlym
                            I do a very light outlines using between 4h-8h pencils on drawing paper then use the 01-05 pens to outline it then do the shading.
                            then I scan the outlines, tweak it (using RGB mode) on the brightness/contrast using Adobe Photoshop 6, then color it with Opencanvas, and finish the rest back at Photoshop again.
                            I used to try using 6H 5 MM lead, but if I was having trouble with something and erasing a lot, the hard lead would leave scratches, and later cuts, in the paper. (Even the very-thick paper I use.)

So I switched to HB lead recently (er, I think), and I've had a bit more luck with that. You do have to push lighter when drawing, however. I still have 3 or 4H in my 3MM pencil, so I do still have something for doing faint lines I want to get rid of later.

Comment

Mmmm... #2 Pencil :P

I draw like I've seen the "comic book" artists draw. I make the shapes of the body. I start with the head, then torso, (i leave myself a space where the "shoulder" is because I draw that in with the upper arm) then i draw the pelvis, then the upper arms / shoulder, fore arms, hands, then the thighs, and knee / calves together, and feet. Just to get their positions and ratio's the way I want, then I fill in the details.
                              If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X