Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Ok... if I preorder it, they have a very established track record that for the first week they spam you with it they will disable all your previous expantions, delevel you to 50 and all that other fun stuff....

Then you actually get stuff for getting, what I assume, is the more expensive (for them) physical box (something in the box and something on the account) than for them to blast a gig of info over to me over my net work connection.
    Gimpy warrior in EQ and WOW

Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Don't make me answer that...please, don't make me answer that...

I don't suppose ANYTHING they do to EQ can be as bad as the LoE fiasco, though. They've already done something pretty bad there, so even if this goes bad it will probably be pretty mild in comparison.

Bad choice for the acronym too..

But, I'm certain it can't be ALL bad. I wouldn't mind if they instituted serious penalties to all players who didn't have the expansion, just as long as I can buy all the copies and keep them from everyone else. *whistle*

Comment

I pre ordered LoY and LDoN as digital purchases and had none of the problems you're talking about.

And both of those expansion downloaded small chunks of info over the course of weeks. If you READ the news post it tells you how to.

I think your negativity is exagerated and pretty much unnecessary.

Comment

did loy and ldon as preorders....i'm thinking i might get god as a retail so i can experience the joy of whatever wooble stick they give us for guying the box version.
        now lurking in a thread near you: The Answer Panda

Comment

I'm with Woody on this one. I've DL'd expansions whenever possible just so I didn't have to deal with the geek at the game store. :twisted: I've never had a problem, nor had anything unexpected happen because, unlike most of the folks that post on The Newb Zone over at EQ Live, I actually read the releases, chats, and websites.

The problem with the delevels and such with LDoN preorders only occured on the FIRST day it was offered and was fixed immediatly. I almost hope they DON'T offer an atta-boy for buying the retail box, then the bozo's won't be able to whine that they didn't download a flippin keychain.

Comment

I am that geek at the game store.
            The F word isn't funny

Comment

Well Mutton, as long as you don't go off on me with a 10 minute rant about how Game A fails to utilize technology Z for uber phat lewtz then it's all good.

Man I hate that, walk into a game store, ask where so-and-so game is and the next thing you know, your stuck in some psuedo-science geek rant that nobody who DOESN'T collect Pokemon cards could care about.

Comment

I preordered on one account and retail boxed for the other account (second account on gamecards). I didn't have trouble, but I did wait a week or so... someone in my guild did preorder LoY nearly the minute it became available online, and got to panic next time she logged in: level 50 and no aa instead of 61.

It was actually just one small glitch: some small error in the preorder system disabled all other expansions if you preordered LoY that first day. But, since little things like being able to level above 50 and the aa system were part of expansions, this delevelled people to 50 (and stranded some since many camp in places like, oh, PoK). Small problem ... BIG impact.

Sony did respond quickly; they disabled the preorder until they could get it fixed, and got GM's contacting the affected folks and restoring the lost expansions/aa/etc. The poor panicked person in my guild had her levels back that evening.

So, me? since it doesn't make a difference if I pre-order now or in a month -- still have to wait to Feb 10 to play it, and no goodies for ordering early -- I'll wait just a little to be sure no kinks in the process, then preorder on the main account and get the boxed on the second /shrug
                Kheera Shadowclaw
                70 kitty shaman on Tunare

Comment

Re: Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Originally posted by YuriPup
                  Ok... if I preorder it, they have a very established track record that for the first week they spam you with it they will disable all your previous expantions, delevel you to 50 and all that other fun stuff....
                  ....an issue which was remedied. Doesn't forgive that it happened, but screw-ups are bound to happen when managing something so large scale. It's not about forgiving that it happened, but they did fix it rather promptly.

Then you actually get stuff for getting, what I assume, is the more expensive (for them) physical box (something in the box and something on the account) than for them to blast a gig of info over to me over my net work connection.
                  That's why you set the patcher to download the little bit at a time they send out, as they suggest. And, yes, packaging and distribution does cost them more than sending the download (neither of the DL expansions that they've done have been a gig in size to my knowledge, by the way).

....isn't SOE flaming one of the "easy ways"? :P

Comment

Re: Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Originally posted by YuriPup

Maybe I should put my glasses on, because I'm not getting it. Gates of Discord is stupid because another expansion had bugs when you pre-ordered it?

Or it's stupid because they give you the choice of downloading it for cheap, or buying it in the store for more?
                    i'm riding on a blind unicorn
                    creative blog | personal blog

Comment

Originally posted by Landsknecht
                      Well Mutton, as long as you don't go off on me with a 10 minute rant about how Game A fails to utilize technology Z for uber phat lewtz then it's all good.

Man I hate that, walk into a game store, ask where so-and-so game is and the next thing you know, your stuck in some psuedo-science geek rant that nobody who DOESN'T collect Pokemon cards could care about.
                      You're too nice to the "geek". If he doesn't take the hint that I'm not interested the first couple tries, I'd tell him to either shut up and help me find my game or help me find his manager. If he is the manager, then tell him he lost a customer forever. :P

Comment

Umm... I know with ever expantion I have been around for that they have messed up the accounts when ordering a new expantion. I have seen in on FoH and TSW. (LDoN, PoP, LoY...)

That said, my points was more that there are currently more benefits from getting the dead tree version of the game than there are from doing the easier (and no more spam) pre-order and get over the internet.

I ordered LDoN as a DL (though I waited about 2 weeks so that I would not loose 65 and AAs and access).

I think at least some of the benefit should be offered to those who are willing to DL it. Frankly I was happy with my DL of LDoN just a little upset that for saving SOE money that I got less than those buying the retail box.

Oh, and that fix thing, I have seen fix at least twice, if not three times.
                        Gimpy warrior in EQ and WOW

Comment

The main thing offered for D/Ling it is the savings in time and price...If you've DLed it, you can play it the instant it goes live, as well as saving a bit o cash, so you have first shot at anything in the new zones
                          Poofe Farsteppe 'n Evandril Dracorum,
                          Champions of Chaos,
                          Defenders of Dragonkind

Comment

LoY was cheaper pre-order. Not sure about LDoN. This one, however press release shows the same price, pre-order and retail box, $29.99.
                            Kheera Shadowclaw
                            70 kitty shaman on Tunare

Comment

Yuri, you are getting a benefit by DLing rather than buying the box: You pay less for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X