Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some advice on what online game to choose

hope this is right place to post 8)

hello first time reader and poster (read the comics a while) been playing daoc for quite some time but im getting increasingly frustrated by the game. also my real life has been affected negatively so my gaming time will after the holiday be severly reduced (prolly only short whiles on the holiday) so im thinking about changing game about games im concidering

Planetside - this game isin´t that old so i wouldn´t be totally lost i have played for a week and it was pretty fun. This seems to be the game where you can just pop in for a quick 30-60 min session and to stop the just-a-little-while-longer you have the nifty alarm (set time and it pops a msg on screen ) the bad thing seems to be that it seems a bit repetive, just deathmatch all the time and the servers seems bit deserted...

Everquest - i currently don´t know much about this game. Any help on witch i should choose would be appriciated (any newbie guides for either would be ace)

Dark Age of Camelot - been playing, don´t like it the french internet provide suck and i they don´t deserve my money....

Star Wars Galaxies - hmm bad start on a pretty shallow game it seems

hmm hope you can make some sense out off it (i tend to ramble a lot as i.... il stop now :P )
    ----------Ravencrest-----------

Laston [ANSI] lvl 60 Shaman

You're on a forum about a comic based on Everquest. The owner of both the forum and the comic plays Everquest. What do you think you'd get as a recommendation?

But seriously, you should consider Final Fantasy XI if your computer is a little good, and you don't mind needing to work a little bit on the language barrier with the Japanese players. (auto-translate feature is great, but sadly it seems not many of them use it)

Comment

Originally posted by Saethori
      You're on a forum about a comic based on Everquest. The owner of both the forum and the comic plays Everquest. What do you think you'd get as a recommendation?

But seriously, you should consider Final Fantasy XI if your computer is a little good, and you don't mind needing to work a little bit on the language barrier with the Japanese players. (auto-translate feature is great, but sadly it seems not many of them use it)
      to be honest i was more looking for some info about everquest i haven´t really conciderd FFX cause it doesn´t seem really fun (not into the finaly fantasy series tbh)

Comment

Final Fantasy 11 is nothing like any of its pre-docesiours (SP? im only 16 >.<)

Its pretty good, armour wise not as much available as Everquest (Which i would love to see changed)

Also has a lot of the same:

A rat, a Large Rat, A whiskered rat, a large whiskered rat type mobs, - Same graphics, - Different Names.

But having played both heres what i can tell you (In my own experience)

EQ = For me, Less questing more just chatting, having fun with friends and leveling exp, over and over. Tradeskilling cost me too much and too complicated for a newbie. Standard graphics = Pants. Luclin Graphics = I liked em a lot (Oh yeah, you'd need all expansions)

-More customizable character options, Stat points + Facial Features

-Stuck with one job

-Lack of GM events, or so i noticed (halloween one i experienced, sheesh)

FFXI = Lots of questing (easily available if you wish to do it) - In a linkshell with about 8 others off the Gu Website (WOOT! www.cobblestoned.com/gushell ) Exp is gained during your Quests/Missions. Probably less people to talk to but it is growing. Much nicer graphics.

-Character can be 8 types of Heads with A or B hair. Stats stuck to race. 5 Races.

-Can change job on same character, and unlock advanced jobs and Sub-other jobs to be say, a Monk/Theif (like me )

-GM events = coolio, all Town Tree's Have had christmas lights put on them and a Twinkling Treant is wandering the newbie zone needs to be killed in all newbie zones by the 30th of Dec for server reward.

EQ= 8/10 FFXI = 9/10

Both need improvement, but they beat Runescape which i give 1/10

Comment

Don't forget Rubies of Eventide, which is a nice small MMORPG by a really awesome group of people. They have an insanely cool community.

They have like a 10 day free trial so you can see if you like it: http://rubiesofeventide.com/

Comment

Hmm.. ok, first guy gives him a hard time for asking an honest question, then someone else tries to convince him to get a game that he already said he wasn't interested in.

:?

Laston, I'm in the same boat as you right now. Financial issues and a lack of gaming time. EQ would fit the bill IF you pick a soloing class and don't mind if your friends level faster than you. I found it too much of a bother.

I love Planetside, and you're right---perfect for popping in and out with little 30 minute segments, but I haven't played it since it went live. I suppose if you pick the server with the highest population, and play during peak hours, you should be ok.

Star Wars Galaxies seems like a game that you could pop in and out of intermittently-----as long as you don't have harvesters, factories, or buildings to pay maintenance on. Otherwise you have to log in nearly every day to make money, maintain harvs, pay maint. on house and harvs... yeah. It became a JOB and a CHORE to do everyday, so I switched to a battle-based job and ditched the crafting, which worked out fine until FFXI came out *sheepish grin*.

Can't say I've had any experience with DAoC, cept what I've seen over someone's shoulder.

Comment

Hey... only 3/5ths of the current GU comics are about EQ.

And just cause I play it doesn't mean this board is limited to talk about and support for EQ.

**grins**

Comment

how many explansions are there? ohh and what classes are there?

ohh and still, don´t like FF :P can anyone give me some examples off the diffrent chars in Everquest (or a newbie link (second time i ask :P) )

Comment

Expansions?
                  Ruins of Kunark (adds Iksar, raised cap from 50 to 60)
                  Scars of Velious
                  Shadows of Luclin (adds Vah Shir, Beastlords, Spire-porting, AA, new graphics...)
                  Planes of Power (adds Book-porting, raised cap from 60 to 65)
                  Legacy of Ykesha (adds Frogloks, downloadable)
                  Lost Dungeons of Norrath (adds adventures, downloadable)
                  Gates of Discord (yet to be released...)

As for classes..
                  Melees get Warrior, Rogue, and Monk. Berserkers (likely included in GoD) probably fall here too.
                  INT-casters get Necromancers, Enchanters, Wizards, and Magicians.
                  WIS-casters get Clerics, Druids, and Shamans.
                  Hybrids get Shadow Knights, Rangers, Paladins, and Beastlords.

Hey, if you don't like FFXI, I can understand. Everyone has their tastes..

Comment

Anarchy Online is really good as well. It got/has a lot of bad press due to an abysmal launch, but they fixed a LOT and it is now a pretty enjoyable game. You choose a career for yourself that slightly limits what gear you can use, but the skill based system means you can learn to do ANYTHING. However, certain careers learn certain skills better/worse than others. Example, doctors learn First Aid/Treatment a lot easier.

Being able to customize your character through the use of implants is pretty neat too. They have a free 7 day trial and the client is downloadable.

Comment

Originally posted by Landsknecht
                      Anarchy Online is really good as well. It got/has a lot of bad press due to an abysmal launch, but they fixed a LOT and it is now a pretty enjoyable game. You choose a career for yourself that slightly limits what gear you can use, but the skill based system means you can learn to do ANYTHING. However, certain careers learn certain skills better/worse than others. Example, doctors learn First Aid/Treatment a lot easier.

Being able to customize your character through the use of implants is pretty neat too. They have a free 7 day trial and the client is downloadable.
                      '

ive played beta, didin´t like it at all (getting stuck while trying to zone is NOT my idea of fun) and the fact other people can steal your items i just can´t handle (we all know there is allways a jackass who would LOVE to ruin it for you)

Comment

Expansions?
                        Scars of Velious
                        Shadows of Luclin (adds Vah Shir, Beastlords, Spire-porting, AA, new graphics...)

:shock: erm may i ask if you can get all in once box? :roll:

Comment

EverQuest: Evolutions
                          EverQuest® Classic
                          The Ruins of Kunark® expansion
                          The Scars of Velious® expansion
                          The Shadows of Luclin™ expansion
                          The Planes of Power™ expansion
                          The Legacy of Ykesha™ extension

Comment

Originally posted by Laston
                            Expansions?
                            Scars of Velious

:shock: erm may i ask if you can get all in once box? :roll:
                            Not yet... *whistle*

Gates of Discord isn't out yet. And, the last group-pack I saw went up to LoY (that is, it included the first five expansions). None seem to exist that include LDoN. See more data here... [EDIT: Or in Rangor's post above... *grumble*]

But don't forget that you can have LoY and LDoN charged directly to the credit card you're using to pay for your monthly subscription (if you use game cards, though, I think boxed versions exist). They're small enough to be downloaded (not like SoL and its three discs...)

Comment

EDIT: Or in Rangor's post above... *grumble*
                              /grin

Comment

Working...
                              X