How did I miss THIS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did I miss THIS?

Allakhazam's has taken over control of the Lucy database.

Apparently this happened in November, and I managed to miss it.

I don't want to say too much, as I know I'll get carried away and say much more than I should. But, I will let you know that my initial response was "oh no".

I personally like the change as it will be quite nice once they integrate the lucy database with the already extensive alla database, it's already in the works
    Creating metaphors for any occasion...

Comment

So far, it's been good. I have nothing bad to say about it, and I use lucy about a lot of times a day.

Guladan Misthunter
      Defiant, on Vallon Zek

Comment

Allakhazam has been using Lucy for the spell database ON Allakhazam for quite some time. Not only was it a better format, but I rarely used Lucy because of the ease of use.

I'm not a premium member on Alla (nor anywhere - the $$ is just not there to spend on something like that), but as long as he has it so you can get basic information I'll keep advising people to go there.

I foresee nothing but good things from this merger.
        Nosferatu (of Everlore)
        aka Erobate of Tunare
        Member of Elidor

Comment

Lucy had an evil colour scheme too

I use Allakhazams all the time, and I think their system is fair, whereby it does help to have a premium membership, but if you're like me and spend enough money just playing the game, you can still get useful information about things, although for the full lowdown you would need premium membership.

Comment

Maintaining Lucy was a lot of work, and bandwidth.... 'bandwidth' and 'free' don't like to be in the same sentence...

I actually expected Lucy to just close its doors and make the tools available to the public. Alla taking it over will more than likely be a Good Thing(TM).

Comment

As long as yo uhave a pop up blocker, Ala is ok, otherwise it is the devil.

I used to love having to clear 1-2 popups everytime I clicked on anything there.

Comment

One trick to blocking popups without using pop-up blockers is to make an entry in your HOSTS file that points certain domains to 127.0.0.1 (which is a loopback IP address that points to your own computer). I have 676 domain entries in my HOSTS file that point to my own computer which renders many popups impotent (*snicker*).

As for Alla taking over Lucy, I have mixed feelings about it. On the good side, it's finally being updated again. There was a span of about 4 months where there were no new items added and very few spell updates. On the bad side is that they took away the advanced search capabilities from those who don't pay.
                Mystwind - 100 Blood Elf Monk, Doomhammer
                Aeryanna - 91 Blood Elf Death Knight, Doomhammer
                Kweezi - 77 Goblin Hunter, Doomhammer
                Catila - 55 Gnome Rogue (EQ Test) (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Catila Amano
                  One trick to blocking popups without using pop-up blockers is to make an entry in your HOSTS file that points certain domains to 127.0.0.1 (which is a loopback IP address that points to your own computer). I have 676 domain entries in my HOSTS file that point to my own computer which renders many popups impotent (*snicker*).

And me, I just use mozilla, and click one button. Bam, no more popups.

Comment

On the bad side is that they took away the advanced search capabilities from those who don't pay.
                    Better than losing the whole lot though

As for popups, I just use the popup blocker that comes with the google toolbar (http://www.google.com)

Comment

My understanding is that the guy who was in charge of Lucy lost interest in paying to maintain a site he no longer had interest in, and that unless someone else bought it from him and then paid to maintain it, that it would go away entirely. Not sure how much money all that entails, but given the quality of the site and the popularity (ie work gone into developing and maintaining the software and database through EQ patches, and the bandwidth from usage) doubt it was terribly cheap. So unless someone else were willing to shell out the cash and keep shelling it out to keep it totally free, it would've gone away entirely (as I understand it at least).

I've generally liked Allakhazam and I do have a premium membership there as I liked the advanced features. I used their regular services for nearly a year before that, without paying a cent; they're still available, and enhanced with Lucy data now also. The rates aren't even going up with the new stuff that acquiring Lucy brought to their services. Obviously some don't feel the same (/laugh) but this doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I use EQTraders also -- a free site but sounds a bit stressful for the operators! I do donate there though no memberships needed, to help maintain their site and sanity.
                      Kheera Shadowclaw
                      70 kitty shaman on Tunare

Comment

I use Allakhazam for the fashion guide, equipment lookup on questable items, mob info etc.

I just don't want to see certain features get blocked in order to convince people to buy a premium account.

My "uh oh" has less to do with Allakhazam's and more to do with the state of the entire EQ community though.

Spiritual is leaving EQDruids, and that site is being sold to a "company". Which, unless I miss my guess, means Yantis and MySuperSales. EQBeastlord has already been sold to MySuperSales. Of course there's also monkly business. And believe it or not PlayerAuctions has MySuperSales plastered across the top of their site. RPGExpert as well I think.

I'm just worried about what's next.

Comment

Yeah us beastlords arent too happy about it. But seems like those of us that don't want anything to do with Yantis are moving back to Ezboards. If you want to see our new home (though wear some shades the colors will kill you) go here:
                          http://pub140.ezboard.com/beqbeastlord

PS:
                          RPGExpert and PlayerAuctions has for a long time had something in coherts with Yantis. Not sure of their agreement though.

Comment

That kinda proves my point about SOE really not caring that much about the selling of accounts, because you know they could stop it without too much effort.. the fact that Yantis is running around in their own game makes it hard not to spot.

EZBoard isn't much of a condolence.
                            With all this happening, 2004 might not bode well.

Hey, wait a second... Why's it raining exploding frogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
                              EQBeastlord has already been sold to MySuperSales.
                              I was rather pissed to find that one out this morning myself. Oaga gave no indication of financial troubles being bad enough that he was considering it. He sold on Sunday, and just this morning got around to telling us about it. The least he could have done is polled whether the posters would rather see it sold or shut down. Personally, I would have rather seen it closed down than sold to Yantis.

There's an EZBoard alternative that some of the mods set up on their own to get away from Yantis, but I try to avoid EZBoard whenever possible. Seems I'm stuck without a BST community for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X