But... what about his mom? (1/6)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But... what about his mom? (1/6)

Every time I read the Final Fantasy site, I feel like I'm reading a childrens book rather than reading information about an online environment for gamers. It's all sugar coated and simplistic. Almost, ridiculously so.

One of the things that truly confuse me though is the inability to play Galka females or Mithra males. Uhmm... for lack of a more poingant interrogative, WHY?

I mean, it complete leaves up in the air, as far as the subject of the comic goes, WHERE is his mom? Was he magically produced from a rock or something? I really gotta know.

So those of you actually playing the game... if you have info... fill me in?

Ah, those wonderful philosopical questions that make games fun!

Hum ... I don't play FFXI, but do the missing females and males respectively exist in the game as NPC's? If not, maybe the two races reproduce by budding, or laying eggs or something. Or maybe they're supposed to mate with each other; they're just two sides of a different coin.

After all, even Tolkein never really specified what happened to the female Ents in the Lord of the Rings, nor even what they look like. It's not uncommon in fantasy and science fiction for males and females of the same race to have radically different appearance and personalities.

If they're actually in the game but not playable, that's a different matter altogether ... and not necessarily one I'm qualified to comment on.

Not that I'm qualified in any way, shape, or form, mind you ... but rambling is fun.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    <font size=\"-2\">Grandmaster Blacksmith, Tailor, Baker, Brewer, Fletcher, Jeweler, and Potter (250 + GM Trophy in all)
    Master Fisherman (200 + 5%) and Drunk (200 + 20%)
    Lord Protector of Erollisi Marr</font>

Comment

Re: But... what about his mom? (1/6)

Originally posted by Woody
      So those of you actually playing the game... if you have info... fill me in?
      Galkas aren't really explained well, IIRC. Whenever they die they are reincarnated somehow. That's how they reproduce -- whenever they die, a new copy of themselves appears as a child to take their place. I donno past that. IIRC they're actually Unisexual -- they're not male. Although, that might be me getting them and Atroxi confused. (edit: I should point out that it might be explained well someplace else -- I donno, since I took one look at the races and their stats in FF11 and decided Mithra was the race for me. Catgrrl powah! ^_^; )

Mithra men do exist, however IIRC the story is that they're either very very rare or that in the great war the majority of them died -- so they're kept in the village and not allowed out. (If you think that's all fine and dandy, imagine being a woman in the 1700s or so. I have to imagine the Mithra Males have about as many civil rights.)

I think there's a pirate leader who's a male Mithra that you run into in the expansion's quest storyline.

Comment

from what the manual says, the one that came with the game. Gelka reproduce by some form of reincarnation, I've ran into a few NPC's that speak of this.

As for Mithra, they say they live in Windurst (we know that) and only the females venture out into the world. The men must be shy or somthing, Why can't I find them when I visit Windurst?

most people just assume all races are compatiable with each other, well thats what they like to think.

I thought tolkein did a decent job explaining the ent-wives, how they wanted to explore and ventured off never to be seen again.

M}

Comment

I'm not sure about the Mithra but I remember a few NPCs that tell you various tidbits about the Galka.

Basically... While the Galka look male they are asexual. I seem to remember an Galka NPC somewhere in Windurst that expresses amusement that other races find it weird (the child by the airship port perhaps?).

[Edit: I don't know where I had the whole egg thing stuck in my mind... Is there an NPC that talks about the reincarnation?]

Square-Enix seems to have a weird sense of humor in the game. They even manage to make leeches look cute.

Comment

Re: But... what about his mom? (1/6)

Originally posted by Woody
            One of the things that truly confuse me though is the inability to play Galka females or Mithra males. Uhmm... for lack of a more poingant interrogative, WHY?
            My first thought: They have a better union.

Seriously though, I think SciFi is broken into two schools (huge generalisation). These are Star Wars and Star Trek.

Star Wars is just "yeah." Things are the way they are.

Star Trek is "why is it so?" to quote Prof Julius Sumnermiller. Everything needs to be explained.

This was explained to me during Episode 1 when I asked why something was happening in relation to something else. To be honest I don't remember what it was, I was just pleased I stayed awake somehow. I was abruptly informed that it isn't important or necessary to understand all the varagies of the science, philospohy or reasoning for Star Wars to be Star Wars. There is a reason and explaination but it isn't necessary for you to know it.

The complete antihisis (sp?) is the Star Trek world. Everything has a reason that needs to be explored, understod and rationalised.

So my answer to you Woody is this.

Which universe do you live in? Wookies or Tribbles?

PS. Nice background. Stop worrying about others reproduction and take a look at the leggy redhead!
            I don\'t want the world... I just want your half.

Comment

I live in a world with neither wookies nor tribbles. And, I'm not worrying over others' reproduction methods; I'm just asking a question.

Which, by the way, seems to have been answered. Thanks folks.

Comment

maybe a Mithra Male is like a Jedi Slot...you can unlock it if you play enough FF XI... Then play 2 bucks to activate it

OK...bad joke.

That is pretty strange, though personally speaking. Gender restricted races. Makes for good comic though
                WoW
                Himitsu -50 Druid
                <Celestial Darkness>
                Retired Toons

Comment

Hmmm Woody. That was meant as humourous. Sorry if you took offence but it was not intended in that manner.
                  I don\'t want the world... I just want your half.

Comment

i think they preproduce aseuxually. mabye by budding. So I thing they should not worry when a head and arm is sticking out of their backs.
                    I am going to have to disagree with your detective work there.

Comment

heh well its been answered but the clothes etc. are drawn spot on accurate, thats a really good picture (as per usual) but so acurate, like how you done the backround by bluring a screenshot i presume?

Comment

Surely this question is tied to some of those great EQ unanswereds like "Why are there no female orcs or giants in Norrath?"
                        Mistress Kallara of the Servitors of Oblivion (Argent Dawn EU)

Eloniara, The Dark Lady\'s Sword - Frostwhisper EU

Comment

At home cooking gnomes... *dramatic music*

After all, even Tolkein never really specified what happened to the female Ents in the Lord of the Rings, nor even what they look like.
                          You should read the book, there's a nice talk about the ent-wives.

I wish there were male Mithra. They are in hidding apparently. Its the reason I chose againts making a Mithra, too many men would be playing them, and I had enough of people mistaking me for a guy in EQ as an Iksar.

I made an Elvaan. And they still mistake me for a guy. I'm cursed.

Cute comic woody... I had never looked into the explanation for the Galka's, and this thread enlightened me.

Comment

There are Galka women, but they look so much like the men that popular belief is there are no Galka women.
                            The colossal misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight will work with people who are unmotivated to change

Comment

Taken from the FFXI manual pg. 78 (creating a character)

Mithra
                              A race of catlike humanoids, the Mithra live in Windurst and its surrounding islands. They are characterized by their large ears, long tails and superior agility. There are very few male Mithra, and only female Mithra venture out into the world.

Galka
                              The Galka are a physically imposing race, and are the minority population of Bastok. Characterized by their hulking frames, the Galke are renowned for their unsurpassed strength. The Galka reproduce through a form of reincarnation and hence have no specific gender, but are generally considerd to be male.

---

Thats the best answer I could find in the manual anyway, been in windurst and havent seen or heard anything about where the male Mithra might be hidding and I have still to visit Bastok, but I can report back once I do =)

As for the comic really fun specialy if you play FF I really enjoyed it =)

Comment

Working...
                              X