Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playonline (FF11) Breaks 500,000 users

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/final...086169.htmlPla

I'm not sure if that's active accounts or not, but I believe they are. Must have been a lot of FF11 sales over the Christmas holliday.

(edit: Hit submit on accident before finished my sentence. Been a long night.)

6 people from my guild have joined the ranks of FF XI... me included

And I still get the cuteness shivers when I see that little Tarutaru girl asking me if I could 'visit mommy-wommy's little shoppy-woppy'.

brrr...

Comment

Well, the way it's worded doesn't necessarily mean that these users are playing FFXI. You need PlayOnline to play FFXI, but you don't need FFXI to use PlayOnline. As far as I know, if you quit FFXI, your PlayOnline acct stays active (no monthly fee for it), so it doesn't seem like the number would have much relevance to how many are actually playing FFXI.

Comment

I doubt that FFXI would have 500,000 users. Last time I checked, EQ still had the largest player base at close to 300,000 active accounts, with DAoC and UO at about 150,000ish each. Granted, that was in late September before FFXI came out. But I worked at Gamestop over the holidays, and the sales at our store didn't reflect that. We had maybe 20 copies when it released, and I think we only sold 7 of those in the first week.
        Foehammer
        DAoC: Kyoric - 50 highlander paladin (Gaheris)
        STILL Waiting on WoW and UXO

\"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.\"

Comment

It's all figures, statistics lie I tell you

Comment

What they need to announce is active FFXI content ID's, that will compare apples to apples with the numbers DAoC and EQ release.
            Gnomage Maxamus
            65 Arch Convoker
            Luclin Server
            \"I R Board Junkie\"

Comment

Interesting statistics, but in my book it all boils down to fun rather than population....that is of course unless there isn't a population in the game

Then you have a problem!
              Naryn Irontoe
              Cleric of Clericness
              Etc...

Comment

Foehammer... there are well over 400+K Active accounts for EQ. Where did you get your "info"?

And, don't don't doubt the 500+K FFXI accounts... that's probably pretty accurate.

Comment

You have to include how big FFXI is in asia.
                  Baron Pedula Otani
                  60 Grandmaster
                  Bristlebane
                  Theatre of the Void

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=899660

\"Classes aren\'t that out of balance.\" -AbsorEQ

Comment

Yeah MMORPGS are huge over in asia. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXI did have 500,000 subscribers. But I also wouldn't be surprised if 475,000 of those subscribers were in the asian market.

Comment

True dat. Ragnarok Online's player base in Asia numbers in the MILLIONS last I heard. oO

Comment

Rag online can't really be completly accurute because of the way that internet cafe's over their use accts for rag online. Can't remember how they did it but it basically adds about 200,000 extra accts that really don't count. but still thats like 800-900,000 people.... and we thought we had server congestion.
                        Baron Pedula Otani
                        60 Grandmaster
                        Bristlebane
                        Theatre of the Void

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=899660

\"Classes aren\'t that out of balance.\" -AbsorEQ

Comment

makes you wonder what people really do in asia if MMOs are so popular.
                          Earth Destroyed by Solarflare. Video at Eleven

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about how big FF is in asia! Now that I think about it, 500k would make sense if more than half were in asia (which is probably accurate).

BTW, the info I got was published in the September issue of Computer Games Magazine if I remember right. I was quoteing info off the top of my head as I don't have the issue anymore. But if someone wants to check the numbers I think it was the issue with Ultima X on the cover. Also had a title on the cover something like "More people are playing MMO's and they're playing EQ." In the article they said the numbers were gotten from the publishers of the games based on active accounts.
                            Foehammer
                            DAoC: Kyoric - 50 highlander paladin (Gaheris)
                            STILL Waiting on WoW and UXO

\"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.\"

Comment

Sometime in November, I believe, when FFXI broke 400,000 the press release said that 300,000 were Japanese users. Which would mean that in a month and a half, the number of NA subscribers pretty much doubled. I'd say they're doing pretty well for themselves so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X