Gates of Discord - The EQ GoD complex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates of Discord - The EQ GoD complex

I think the whole naming of the expansion is a superiority complex for the Devs/Marketing people at SoE... But thats just me. I say Gates of Discord should just be referred to as GD... Or something... take your pick
    When it comes to you versus the world, bet on the world.

I think some people post just to see their own text and to hear their own voice it in their heads.

Comment

I have a lovely bunch of coconuts deedly doo..

*starts rockin out* There they are all standing in a rowwww!!!

Comment

I agree with Mordican, i am just going to refer to it as discord. I mean we don't say RoK or SoV, its the kunark or velious expansion.
        Satarus the Undead Warrior
        <Mad Turkey Disease>
        O'Neill Needs Therapy

Comment

I don't fault EQ for this one.

But I do think it was by design when Gathering Of Developers named themselves that. They called themselves by that name. GOD Games.
          If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Comment

Whilst I think Mordican is just being silly I do agree with Satarus in that in the end, players will probably call it the Discord expansion. However Planes of Power, Lost Dungeons of Norrath and occasionally Legacy of Ykesha are referred to by their acronym so, let the players decide :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Naelaen
              Whilst I think Mordican is just being silly I do agree with Satarus in that in the end, players will probably call it the Discord expansion. However Planes of Power, Lost Dungeons of Norrath and occasionally Legacy of Ykesha are referred to by their acronym so, let the players decide :mrgreen:
              Depends on how hard / buggy / annoying it is. Then maybe they'll call it the "God!@#$it" expansion. *Ducks, hides*

Comment

RoK we usually call Kunark.
                SoV we usually call Velious.
                SoL we usually call Luclin.
                PoP we usually call PoP.
                LoY we usually call LoY.
                LDoN we usually call LDoN.

How we refer to expansions is split 50-50. I don't see any reason why calling it one way is better than calling it another.

It's just a fricken expansion. who cares. If I refer to the expansion as Discord, people will know what I'm talking about, if I refer to it as GoD people will know what I'm talking about. Call it whatever the hell you want.

I gotta agree with Woody on this one. This seems like a really pointless topic.

Comment

Hmm. We started out referring to the expansions by the last word in their name. But all the last few have been referred to (normally) by the acronym.

Maybe we're just getting lazy

Comment

there's also that Kunark refers to the Ruins of Kunark expansion, which is also a continent, ditto for Velious and luclin.

planes of power doesn't roll of the tounge nearly as easily as kunark or velious, and has a short and memorable acronym
                    /em has a sudden strange urge for popcorn...

Legacy of Ykesha is kinda...bleh. Lackluster name, Ykesha itself has some issues (y-kee-sha? ee-kee-sha? Yuh-kee-sha?) with flow and other similar things. They probably could've done just as well by naming the expansion "Damn trolls in my city!"* but LoY works just as well.

Lost dungeons of Norrath though, is totally understandable as an acronym. gained an extra word, and the whole thing is just long. typing in casual chat, "Hey dude, let's go do some Lost Dungeons of Norrath adventures!" is just so much less preferable than "Hey dude, let's go do some some LDoN!"

Finally, we come to Gates of Discord. Other than having the misfortune of its acronym being the name for the diety of some popular religions, the name of the expansion works rather well. Descriptive and flows (and espescially nice - no pronunciation worries). I definately see the standard reference to it as being Discord, out of respect for religious and societal comfort issues.

well, that's my take on the naming thing.

*I am a proponent of Kick Fribbits out of Grobb, not because i hate frogs, but because neriak smells funny now, and has become decidely more flammible since the trolls moved in.
                    now lurking in a thread near you: The Answer Panda

Comment

I still think SoL was a good acronymn for that expansion. Bugs galore, crappy timesinks, boring encounters, and half finished content.
                      <Mad Turkey Disease>
                      O'Neill Needs Therapy

Comment

But Satarus, the Vah Shir!!
                        We're only the coolest droogs in the game ya know.
                        The colossal misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight will work with people who are unmotivated to change

Comment

Originally posted by Serresrelic
                          RoK we usually call Kunark.
                          SoV we usually call Velious.
                          SoL we usually call Luclin.
                          PoP we usually call PoP.
                          LoY we usually call LoY.
                          LDoN we usually call LDoN.

How we refer to expansions is split 50-50. I don't see any reason why calling it one way is better than calling it another.

It's just a fricken expansion. who cares. If I refer to the expansion as Discord, people will know what I'm talking about, if I refer to it as GoD people will know what I'm talking about. Call it whatever the hell you want.

I gotta agree with Woody on this one. This seems like a really pointless topic.
                          Preach it to me brother! Amen.
                          Hol˙bovine - Tauren ret/prot pally
                          Formo - Human Paladin
                          Zraxth - Troll fury warrior
                          Real ID: tenolein at gmail.com Feel free to add me (and tell me who you are, too).

Comment

I think whether we use Acronyms or not depends on whether or not its a new continent/planet.
                            "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!"

Comment

BAH! Guktan > Vah Shir

FROAK!
                              <Mad Turkey Disease>
                              O'Neill Needs Therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X