Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No they're NOT actually changing their name! (8/28)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No they're NOT actually changing their name! (8/28)

Let me start by saying I kid because I admire. And let me follow that by saying again, Penny-Arcade is NOT changing the name of its site. So, let me explain the comic.

Last night when I was doing my news rounds seeing what was up in game industry news, I found several articles about Penny Arcade over at Gamespot (and beyond). And, it just seems weird to me that a site that formed to poke thumbs in the eyes of the industry are now considered a large enough part of the industry that they're grabbing gaming news headlines themselves. And, where I'm not sure if it's intentional or even if they realize it it but Mike & Jerry (Tycho and Gabe) have pretty much become charicatures of themselves. They've taken what is right and good about PA and exagerated it. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. It seems to be the natural progression of character when founded on the precepts of humor. Look at Jim Carey.

But, I can't escape the odd feeling I get whenever I see news like: Hothead Studios, a gaming start-up company started in March of this year, has acquired exclusive rights to produce games based on Penny Arcade. Their first jaunt into the gaming world will be a series of episodic games that follow Tycho and Gabe through their comic (mis)adventures.
    Source: Gamespot [ more info ]
    I guess it's one thing in my mind to makes news splashes about projects such as Child's Play (which is an awesome use of the power of PA's readership) and making news splashes about how they're becoming the very thing they comment on.

What I'd like to know is, where would they be without Robert Khoo? He's certainly responsible for the growth and financial success of PA. But, is he responsible for the twisting of their image?

Now, don't take this wrong; I don't begrudge PA their level of success. I think it's freakin' awesome. It's proof that with the right amount of talent and aggressiveness anyone can be a superstar. I feel comfortable poking at the PA guys because:
    A. They're good guys.
    B. They have a sense of humor about themselves and their site.
    C. I respect what they've done with their piece of the internet.

I'm just worried that if they grow too big, they may lose perspective. And the very things I like about PA might get sacrificed in the wild unchecked growth of their IP.

Victim of their own success seems to strike true here. I saw this on Evil Avatar, and knew immediately what the comic was about. Personally, I've never been as big of a fan of PA as GU. PA seemed more... I don't know... trite I guess. Amittedly, some of the comics are hilarious, but overall they just always seemed like the geeks in school who found a few successes, and shove it in everyones face as a "look at me now jock!"

Growing up a geek and becoming successful is one thing. Rubbing it in someones face is different, and I've always had the impression that's what Gabe & Tyche do. Now - I've never actually met either of them so I could be WAY off, but from a casual readers perspective I don't like em.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna change my plans for PAX this year though

Comment

Haha, I was so confused at first. I'm so used to the "comic" Gabe and Tycho that I had no idea who those guys were. :P I agree with you, though... watching the evolution of Penny Arcade has certainly been interesting. Gotto love those guys... they're just so damned good at what they do!

... "whore-whore.whore"... heheh

Comment

I was wondering where you were going with this. I can't say I know too much about PA, I have only read a few comments in the past. Now though you have made me delve deeper and I am looking at their forum and see alot of political references I will be reviewing.

As for the comic I think whore-whore.whore is a great name for a site and one I would visit daily.

Comment

its like the game spore. they're starting off small little beings and growing into a civilation.

Comment

Ballsy, but I think you covered your bases...but I'm sure GU has been the muse for a few jokes as well.

Comment

I'm trying desperately to whore myself out, but no one's buying. **grins**

Comment

how do you make a game based on a videogame based comic? many strips have them playing games, so do you play a game of people playing games?

they stole my old, old idea! a sim game where you collect games then play them in a collection (think megaman X collection or Sonic collection with more games between different kinds castlevania,mario,sonic,megaman, and others,except you need to play minigames and drive around town to buy games/ earn money)
                "Your Words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!"
                "What is MAN? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
                  I'm trying desperately to whore myself out, but no one's buying. **grins**
                  *waves a $20 bill*

Comment

124,999 more of those and you've got a deal Breandan. **grins**

Comment

Who knows...

For me, PA has always been about pointing out whats wrong with the gaming industry (well, at least when the industry was the subject itself). So as long as they don't fail victim to the "wrongs" they've poked fun at over the years, I don't see this as a bad thing at all. Who knows, with some good writing and humor, it could be used an example of how to develop a good game using an existing IP.

Comment

me has two questions: 1st Woody, why whore yourself out? You'll just end up numb and I dont think Taks would like it very much... 2nd what is PAX??? I might be dumb... But then again I'm norwegian...
                        Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Comment

I love reading Penny Arcade everyday, it really upsets me when the program at work won't let me access it due to banned language. All the more power to them if they can make the transition and keep their perspective.
                          Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night. May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.” (“The Wolf Man” – 1941)

Comment

PAX = Penny Arcade Expo http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/index.php

Comment

"Myself" in the sense that it was presented meant "GU Comics".

Comment

Working...
                              X