Survivor X Magnesium Fire Starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survivor X Magnesium Fire Starter

I can't tell you the last time I went camping, but I've seen every episode of Survivor Man. So, the idea of having a reliable method to start a fire sounds awfully appealing. You know, for the next time I'm "trapped" out in the heavily-patrolled, state-monitored camping area. Okay, it's not the manliest of survival situations. But still...

The Survivor X Magnesium Fire Starter is a 4 inch, aluminum bodied, flint and striker kit that is about as big around as an ink pen. The unit is comprised of three compartments that screw together. Each section has rubber gaskets to ensure a watertight seal. The first compartment contains a small amount of cotton batting to serve as tinder. The second compartment houses a magnesium rod. And, the third compartment holds a small saw toothed striker. Working with the kit, I found the magnesium rod screwed into place. And, the act of striking hard/fast enough to generate sparks would often loosen it. And, I'd have to tighten it back into place before continuing.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get enough spark to ignite the tinder. But, I was able to get a small fire going in less than a minute. So, even if you've never used a flint and striker before, a little patience is all you really need to get going. It's so small, but so effective. I was suitably impressed

Pros:
    - Light weight, compact
    - Waterproof
    - Easy to use

Cons:
    - Magnesium rod loosens during use
    - Minor learning curve

Takeaway:
    The promise of fire in a pencil-sized kit.

The Survivor X Magnesium Fire Starter is available via Amazon for $10.99. [size](at the time of this review)[/size]
    http://www.amztk.com/firestarterx

GU Star Rating
    This product was provided for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

#GUReviews #Conquer
Working...
X