Linux system suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux system suggestions?

i've had a hobbyist's interest in linux for some time, but less will in making that a reality. the prospect of Valve on linux has me thinking that i should change this.

I'm interesting in having linux computer. what are suggestions for how should i go about doing that?

i am not interested in co-opting my current home terminal, so suggestions should be from a ground up perspective. i am also interested in estimated costs. i would like to sample the opinions of my fellow GU-ers.
    It ain't easy bein' CheeZy, but it sure is fun!

I know this is an old thread but since it's still on the first page I'd like to answer. I recommend linux mint, that's what I primarily use. I've tried Ubuntu and Puppy as well. I installd puppy for a friend of mine, specifically Wary Puppy, cause it was a really old computer. Puppy is good for being minimal and not needing a lot of resources. I like linux cause it's relatively user friendly, like Ubuntu, but isn't overly filled with unneeded apps. Plus I like green, hehe. My desktop PC is completely linux mint, and my laptop is dual boot windows 7 and linux mint. My other laptop is just windows 7, I haven't decided if I want to keep using windows 7 on it or make it linux only, it doesn't have enough space to dual boot. The cost is nothing for Linux OS cause they're all open source. For costs of a home built PC, I can't answer since I haven't built from the ground up myself.
    TheBucci.com | Real ID: email @ thebucci.com | Steam: ciarin7

Comment

Never heard of Linux Mint. I'll have to give it a try myself and see if I like it. Maybe install it on my second HDD after I finish testing out the preview copy of Win 10.
      "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

Originally posted by thedarkmessenger View Post
        Never heard of Linux Mint. I'll have to give it a try myself and see if I like it. Maybe install it on my second HDD after I finish testing out the preview copy of Win 10.
        Let's keep this necro going. My roots are in Slackware and Gentoo. I work in Ubuntu mostly (at work) or Cent OS. At home I use Mint because it's an easy button experience. All my CLI power is still there but I can mostly just use my PC when I'm off the clock. It's also been quite stable through the iterations. I vote there for any hobbyists interested in Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X